Gossip

Vort

1 hour ago, Backroads said:

I would stress the comma to be the more basic example of punctuation... usually introduced before the apostrophe. So I would pay greater notice to its absence.

But yes, you are absolutely right! He was far too ambivalent!

That's ambiguous!!

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wow.  I hope you and my wife never get in a Best Mom Ever contest.  The results could be bloody. 

(She gave us a Dubstep-themed Easter, complete with dubstep-themed easter baskets containing dubstep-themed gum.)

Ohh... but did she make Angry Birds lunch complete with angry bird shaped babybel cheese and boiled egg???  I did.  Check the photo below...

bento%20lunch5_zpszkez5qno.jpg

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

My children have name-calling battles a lot.  They create nonsense usages of common words.

"You're a toothpaste chair-head."

"Well you're a bed post lawnmower brain."

"Then you're a melted ice cream pork chop."

I introduced them to the word "fief" and one of them decided to incorporate it into the game.

"You're a FIEF!"

"Yeah, and?"

"Nothing, you're a fief."

"No, that's breaking the rules.  You've got to...nevermind.  Dad, he's breaking the rules in our game.""

"Huh?  How can anyone break the rules of... nevermind.  Whatever."

My son will fit right in your house.  This is my kids' battle...

"You're a.... <insert any witty random name-call here>"

"I'm a person."

"No you're not... you're a <insert another even wittier random name-call here>"

"I'm a person."

"Ok, I give up.  Wanna ride bikes?"

"I'm a person."

22 hours ago, Carborendum said:

My children have name-calling battles a lot.  They create nonsense usages of common words.

"You're a toothpaste chair-head."

"Well you're a bed post lawnmower brain."

"Then you're a melted ice cream pork chop."

I introduced them to the word "fief" and one of them decided to incorporate it into the game.

"You're a FIEF!"

"Yeah, and?"

"Nothing, you're a fief."

"No, that's breaking the rules.  You've got to...nevermind.  Dad, he's breaking the rules in our game.""

"Huh?  How can anyone break the rules of... nevermind.  Whatever."

Kids are perfect password generators.

Password Strength

18 hours ago, Carborendum said:
19 hours ago, Backroads said:

I would stress the comma to be the more basic example of punctuation... usually introduced before the apostrophe. So I would pay greater notice to its absence.

But yes, you are absolutely right! He was far too ambivalent!

That's ambiguous!!

There's a huge difference between Carb writing with either hand versus living on land and in the water.

On May 17, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Carborendum said:

Sometimes if you can't figure out a comeback, just accept it in good humor.  "OH!  Ouch!  That was a good one.  I'll get you next time."

As anatess pointed out, this is INDEED a comeback.  It could be especially effective if you can say these words in a monotone Ben Stein type of voice.

2 hours ago, Backroads said:

The ambivalent and ambiguous amphibian?

Who happens to be ambidextrous?

Ambivaguoudextrousuchus...

... Related to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koolasuchus

.. a modern cousin, perhaps..

Edited by theSQUIDSTER
Enhancements

On 5/17/2016 at 3:09 PM, Backroads said:

You answered the question. Pay attention to the commas!

On 5/17/2016 at 3:28 PM, zil said:

But he didn't include a comma or an apostrophe!  Who am I to proclaim which one he left out? :P

Actually, according to the Urban Dictionary it was not a punctuation error, but a spelling error.  BAM!! Try adding that into the pedant's bag of tools.  Oh Yeah!

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, Backroads said:

The ambivalent and ambiguous amphibian?

Who happens to be ambidextrous?

Usage vs. ability makes ambidexterity ambiguous.  Swimming without joy makes me ambivalent about amphibians.

Edited by Guest

On 5/14/2016 at 6:30 PM, Vort said:

What do you do if you find out you are the target of gossip with at least one ward family, and perhaps several? What do you do if this family gossips derogatorily, even viciously, about you and your children in front of your daughter (who is friends with their daughter)? Assume that you have been in this ward a very long time and have thought of the ward members as an extended family, who know your weaknesses and quirks but still put up with and love you and your family. Assume also that you may be slightly naive about such topics and just sort of thought that believing LDS families don't gossip about other people, because, you know, that's bad, and it's not something you do.

(Asking for a friend whom you totally do not know at all.)

When I was 18, I overheard the Bishop's wife, the RS President and her two councilors talking about my family. We were in the coat closet and obviously they didn't see me there. They were commenting on my maternal grandmother, my dad and mom. Most of what they were discussing was untrue - it was malicious, hurtful and it crushed me to the core.

Rather than go to the Bishop, or even my parents I just left the church, as in quit going to. That was in 1970. At my dad's funeral in 1972, my mom asked my why I quit the church? So, I told her. She really wasn't that surprised. She told me that the Bishop had an affair with a recently widowed sister, and his wife and her cronies were exposed for the rumor mongers that they were. Now, Mom is not a member, yet she told me I should have gone to the Bishop, or one of his councilors and told them what I had witnessed.

It was 27 years later that I finally came back to the church. I have no idea if my old bishop is still in the church. Don't know if his wife quit gossiping. Don't care.

LDS people are human.

Your friend along with the daughter needs to go to the Bishop. Name names, relate the entire story and only tell the truth. Don't speculate or ad lib. The your friend must leave it in the hands of the Bishop.

Gossiping, rumor mongering is so very hurtful. When I was substitute teaching the 9-10 yr olds, one of them said some untrue things about an elderly sister. Rather than chastise the kid, I stopped the lesson and asked this child to please say a prayer to have Heavenly Father banish the adversary, and for the Holy Ghost to please come back and cloak us with peace. 

After class, I asked the rumor spreader to stay for a moment. Then I told her that what she said about Sister Elderly was untrue, and it amounted to gossiping and rumor mongering. It doesn't matter where she heard it or from whom. IF she didn't see it or hear it directly herself, don't repeat it. And if she did see it or hear it, don't repeat it as it is malicious and hurtful. Then I asked her that when she got home, to look up malicious, rumor mongering and gossiping. Study it, ponder on it and include your parents.

Several days later her father called me, and thanked me for what I had done and said to his daughter, as it had a great impact on not only her but her gossiping mother as well.