Returned Sister Missionaries: How did you make the decision?

nellyleyva92

Guest LiterateParakeet

I remember it well...I had been called as a Stake Missionary, and one day I went out with the sisters. They invited me to tell the investigator the story of the First Vision. The Spirit was strong and I loved it. That's when I knew that I wanted to teach others about Jesus Christ, an how He restored His church. I was 21.

I'm so glad I did! It was hard, but wonderful. And I still reap blessings from it...in things I learned spiritually and in other ways as well. I'm so glad they lowered the mission age so more young women will have the opportunity!

I am a girl, was LDS and unmarried at the time I was eligible to go on a mission.  I always wanted to growing up: the Gospel was so much joy and glue in my life.  But when it came time... the Lord unmistakably said "no".  I loved the Gospel, but I... it was not for me.  I was at a very fragile stage in my life, in deep clinical depression, and I needed to focus on getting myself back in order.  So, I went and did as the Lord told me to: which was to stay exactly where I was-- much to family and friends' surprise.  10 years later,  I have a rock solid testimony that that was the exact right thing for me to do, and have reaped many blessings from it.

I had always wanted to go on a mission. Then the desire left when I was around 17 years of age. I went through a slightly inactive stage during my teens where I wasn't attending my meetings, but I still read my scriptures and said my prayers. At the age of 19, I received my Patriarchal Blessing. In it, I was told that if I would strengthen my testimony and would live as the Lord would have me live, that I could preach the gospel, that I would do much good, and many would join the church because of my teaching and example. At that time I was hoping that maybe it meant I would serve a mission with my husband (and it could still mean that). About two years later, right before I turned 21 my Bishop called me into his office and asked how I felt about serving a mission. As soon as he asked me that question, I just knew I was supposed to serve. We turned in my papers, and I had my call within two months. I left for the mission field one month after my 21st birthday.

It was the best decision of my life! I still cherish my mission experiences and the people I met and grew to love. I'm still in contact with many of my mission companions and some of the Elders. I love the country I served in--Germany. I try to go back whenever I can. I love the German people! My testimony and love for my Savior was strengthened by my service. I'm so grateful I accepted the call to serve.

On 17/5/2016 at 4:19 PM, Jane_Doe said:

I am a girl, was LDS and unmarried at the time I was eligible to go on a mission.  I always wanted to growing up: the Gospel was so much joy and glue in my life.  But when it came time... the Lord unmistakably said "no".  I loved the Gospel, but I... it was not for me.  I was at a very fragile stage in my life, in deep clinical depression, and I needed to focus on getting myself back in order.  So, I went and did as the Lord told me to: which was to stay exactly where I was-- much to family and friends' surprise.  10 years later,  I have a rock solid testimony that that was the exact right thing for me to do, and have reaped many blessings from it.

Thank you so much, I always had the desire to preach the Gospel, because I know it is true and every human being needs it, but every time I pray about a full time mission the answer is unclear. There are times when I strongly feel I should definitely do it, and there are times when I feel a mission is definitely not for me. I'm almost 24 (a little too old?) and struggling with deep depression too. I've feely that if I don't serve a mission I would regret it a lot when I'm older, but your experience an testimony help me think maybe I won't regret it at all. I just wish the Lord made mefeel certain about serving or not, but depression makes it hard to feel and discern the Spirit :( 

Thank you for sharing.

21 minutes ago, nellyleyva92 said:

Thank you so much, I always had the desire to preach the Gospel, because I know it is true and every human being needs it, but every time I pray about a full time mission the answer is unclear. There are times when I strongly feel I should definitely do it, and there are times when I feel a mission is definitely not for me. I'm almost 24 (a little too old?) and struggling with deep depression too. I've feely that if I don't serve a mission I would regret it a lot when I'm older, but your experience an testimony help me think maybe I won't regret it at all. I just wish the Lord made mefeel certain about serving or not, but depression makes it hard to feel and discern the Spirit :( 

Thank you for sharing.

I'm so sorry about your struggles with depression.  Perhaps part of the mixed feelings about a mission are that the Lord wishes you to get the depression under control before undertaking something as intensive as a full-time mission.  (I don't think a mission would fix serious depression, even if it might help in some ways.)  Instead, I would recommend you seek whatever help you need (spiritual, medical, counseling, whatever), and then return to the question of a mission or other service.  Whatever else is true, the Lord knows what is best for you right now - trust that.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Nelly, I agree with Zil.  A mission can in some ways help with depression, it can also worsen the depression.  We often hear missionaries come home and say, "It was the best two years of my life."  What they don't say is that it was also the hardest.  Some of the "best" comes from the overcoming the adversity.  Make no mistake, mission life can be tough.  

I have struggled with deep depression also.  Therapy has been tremendously helpful for me.  I still have some hard days, but I'm no longer depressed.  I believe better days are ahead for you too, if you seek out and get the help you need. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest MormonGator

That you are thinking this through speaks volumes. I'm sure we all know of missionaries who are just going though the motions or there because their parents want them to be. I think you are doing the right thing. 

19 hours ago, nellyleyva92 said:

Thank you for sharing.

This really is between you and the Lord.  A few things to perhaps ponder with Him:

1) There is no "too old" for female sister missionaries- you may go at any age 19 and above (granted having graduated HS, no kids at home, etc).

2) There are many opportunities/ways to share the Gospel with people besides a full-time mission.

3) Depression is a tricky thing, and every person's is different.  Scripture study AND counseling are great things to help a person heal-- I greatly encourage both.

4) A mission requires you to have a good-two-way communication bridge with God.   Working on building/strengthening that bridge is a great thing for every disciple of Christ, regardless of whether or not you're going on a mission.

Edited by Jane_Doe