I'm tired of wearing garments - ladies


macaroon

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

  As far as my personal experience with different styles, the DriSilq sits shorter on my leg than the Carinessa.  I can wear DriSilq with my cut-offs (

As I recall, the words are something like, " so as to be above the kneecap". While I interpret that as meaning "to cover the kneecap", it doesn't mean half way up the thigh.

Lehi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

As I recall, the words are something like, " so as to be above the kneecap". While I interpret that as meaning "to cover the kneecap", it doesn't mean half way up the thigh.

Lehi

I special ordered my garments and the ladies at the distribution center measured me.  The garments arrived at my house with the hem of the bottoms sitting 3 inches above the center of my kneecap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

I special ordered my garments and the ladies at the distribution center measured me.  The garments arrived at my house with the hem of the bottoms sitting 3 inches above the center of my kneecap.

Even Distribution Center sisters make mistakes. I think I'd check with the matron at your local Temple. Three inches above your knee is more than seems reasonable to meet the covenant.

Lehi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Even Distribution Center sisters make mistakes. I think I'd check with the matron at your local Temple. Three inches above your knee is more than seems reasonable to meet the covenant.

Lehi

Yes, they could make mistakes.  Except that they measured me a lot more than once already (the special size expires... I think it's every 3 years, I can't remember).

Basically, I can wear these shorts on a DriSilq Petite but not on Carinessa Petite unless I special order:

1151_white_l.jpg

Edited by anatess2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LeSellers, mine come at least 3" above my knee cap, and they are off the shelf. Because of my weight and build I have never worn shorts, only below the knee capris, so where the hem of the knickers comes is a moot point. I once got a few pairs of the to the ankles knickers - man were they uncomfortable. My legs are bigger around then they were.

To clarify my first post - for those brothers/sisters who are smaller than the smallest  of the "off the shelf" garments or larger than the "off the shelf" garments no matter what fabric or style, you can contact the church through the link I provided and order garments to fit you in what ever fabric/style you want. [there could be restrictions, best to call and find out].

Two Fiipina sisters in my branch were buying the smallest size they could get and rolling the knickers up and then tucking the rolled up waistband under their bra to keep them in place. The tops were about three sizes too large and they folded them at the waist, sewing in a *pocket* to thread white ribbon through so they could tighten them up. This was back in 2001. When I went to the Distribution Center to get a few items, there was a super tiny from India sister who was ordering special size. That is when I got the information about Special Needs and told the sisters in my branch as well as my own EXTRA large siblings.

Looking at the site I see that they have changed the styles, and added more sizes. They no longer carry the style that I have. Good thing that I have 20 pair, in very good condition.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/05/2016 at 9:57 AM, Backroads said:

I've struggled in the past with questions... and such sites have me running back. The whole vibe "oh, of course you can stay LDS all you want and we won'the judge but we will anyway because you're naive and don't know this and that and this nugget of irevalant fool's gold but yeah, you can be LDS!" Is just so disgustinhly patronizing for those with real questions.

I've never felt the need or interest to look at other LDS related forums. lds.net easily meets all my needs and interests. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On May 20, 2016 at 4:58 PM, anatess2 said:

Yes, they could make mistakes.  Except that they measured me a lot more than once already (the special size expires... I think it's every 3 years, I can't remember).

Basically, I can wear these shorts on a DriSilq Petite but not on Carinessa Petite unless I special order:

1151_white_l.jpg

Where are these capris from?? I've been searching everywhere for capris that are that long but that don't go all the way to my calf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

Where are these capris from?? I've been searching everywhere for capris that are that long but that don't go all the way to my calf. 

When online shopping, I always search for "Bermuda." There's plenty of variety there, but that's generally where Bermuda-length pieces fall on me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but the wearing of temple garments is a sacred previlige, that you should feel honoured to be able to wear. Not every Mormon gets to wear them - those Mormons who aren't "temple-worthy", those Mormons who've just joined the LDS Church etc. And there are plenty of clothes you can wear over them, if you feel that they're somehow unfashionable. When you got baptised, you took the name of Jesus on yourself and agreed to follow His commandments. Wearing temple garments is one step even greater than that - you literally get to wear this item of sacredness. Surely that should be considered a good thing? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know what about garments? They never wear out! I have drawers and drawers full of garments! I got quite a few tninking they would last 6 months. Not a bit of it! I will be long dead and my garments will still look pristine. I am gong to buy more this summer because I am now much thinner. I may have to rent a storage locker for my old garments. Just kidding! Everything should be as well made as these garments! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It may not be the popular opinion but I believe what the OP Macaroon says has merit. She says she feels "frumpy and ugly" when wearing garments and many have stated that what she wears should have no bearing on how she feels. Well, we teach that "Your dress and grooming influence the way you and others act." -FTSOY It's very realistic that she acts differently when she wears garments. Less likely to flirt, less likely to try to catch her husband's attention. Let's not pretend that we don't dress differently on a special date than when we go to Grandma's home. We want to feel different and have our spouse view us differently, so we go through the effort. And as for her husband, it would definitely be common for how he acts to fluctuate depending on what she's wearing. And how we treat others and how we are treated definitely have an effect on how we feel. Sure others may live differently, but this could be her reality so why belittle her for it.

So Macaroon, I wish I had a solution. I definitely feel for you. My wife has always dressed in a way the Church approves of. Yet, since she's worn garments, I definitely notice that I feel and act differently towards her and they are not changes that I like. But what can be done? Sometimes I take a deep breath and tell myself to relax.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sexy is a state of mind. It has a lot to do with confidence, and you can contribute to your wife's confidence by recognizing that she's still the woman you desire under another (thin) layer of clothing; and what's more she's a covenant woman. If you feel differently toward your wife with more clothes on her, that's not the fault of the garments. My husband sometimes finds me most attractive in sweats and a t-shirt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2016 at 4:56 PM, macaroon said:

 

Some people mentioned that nowadays temple workers are telling those taking their endowments that they can decide if they prefer to wear underwear under or above the garments. This would make a huge difference to my problem haha

It also mentions how instructions in the church are interpreted in so many ways that they end up becoming the norm or Lds culture.

I just really enjoyed reading that thread and reading different ideas and experiences.

Maybe TMI, but I wear my bra under. I don't recall if the temple worker said it was OK, but I read it on several LDS sites. It appears the Church would rather have you wear the garments with your bra under than not wear them because you hate wearing the bra over. 

I had a couple of days when I thought I would pass out in my garment top. I am a diabetic who uses insulin, which can increase core body temperature. I recall sitting in a meeting and also walking across campus in warm weather when I didn't know if I was going to make it or pass out from being overheated. I admit to a couple of times when I haven't worn the top because of this. I don't feel right about it. I think one time, tho, HF got me back - I thought it was going to be a super hot day and I had to be all over campus. I didn't wear the top. Darned if I didn't almost freeze to death. : )  

I am trying to wear just the garment and a light summer sweater and see how that works. I need to look professional, but the top, a blouse, and a jacket/sweater is often too much.   Also, I used to wear the fitted tops and found that the ones that aren't fitted and are a size larger are better in the heat. You just have to keep trying...  Of course, in our Iowa winters, I'm happy to have them on. : )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dahlia said:

Maybe TMI, but I wear my bra under. I don't recall if the temple worker said it was OK, but I read it on several LDS sites. It appears the Church would rather have you wear the garments with your bra under than not wear them because you hate wearing the bra over. 

I had a couple of days when I thought I would pass out in my garment top. I am a diabetic who uses insulin, which can increase core body temperature. I recall sitting in a meeting and also walking across campus in warm weather when I didn't know if I was going to make it or pass out from being overheated. I admit to a couple of times when I haven't worn the top because of this. I don't feel right about it. I think one time, tho, HF got me back - I thought it was going to be a super hot day and I had to be all over campus. I didn't wear the top. Darned if I didn't almost freeze to death. : )  

I am trying to wear just the garment and a light summer sweater and see how that works. I need to look professional, but the top, a blouse, and a jacket/sweater is often too much.   Also, I used to wear the fitted tops and found that the ones that aren't fitted and are a size larger are better in the heat. You just have to keep trying...  Of course, in our Iowa winters, I'm happy to have them on. : )

Have you tried mesh garments? I have the same work wardrobe. It is sultry here in the summer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dahlia said:

I got a mesh top; hated it. I don't think the fabric is cotton, is it? It just seemed like hot mesh.  (hahahahaha)

Mesh can be a bit rough on the skin. I don't use fabric softener which may explain the roughness. I have a vague idea that you do not use fabric softener on garments but I think I may be getting confused with a type of long underwear that used to be popular for cross country skiing! As a convert I am perpetually confused. I think that I will open a new topic and ask about fabric softener.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Mesh can be a bit rough on the skin. I don't use fabric softener which may explain the roughness. I have a vague idea that you do not use fabric softener on garments but I think I may be getting confused with a type of long underwear that used to be popular for cross country skiing! As a convert I am perpetually confused. I think that I will open a new topic and ask about fabric softener.

I've never heard anything about not using fabric softener on garments.  I use sheets, and as far as I know, so do the rest of my immediate family.  I would think any prohibition on fabric softener would be material-specific (e.g. if your garments are made of this one particular material, don't use fabric softener - for some reason).

Unrelated, @dahlia, I have heard many times that you must not wear only half your garments - either top and bottom together or neither.  Bishops have a letter regarding wearing of garments, and I think this may be covered in that letter (my bishop and stake president read it to us in temple recommend interviews).  Alternately, you could just ask your bishop for a reminder (you don't have to say why, IMO, just that it's hard to remember from that one instance of instruction in the temple, so you want a refresher)...

Edited by zil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2016 at 8:12 PM, BeccaKirstyn said:

Where are these capris from?? I've been searching everywhere for capris that are that long but that don't go all the way to my calf. 

These are from Hudson Jeans.  The style is called Viceroy Knee Shorts.  At the mall, they sell Hudson at Model Citizen or sometimes at Nordstrom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

to the OP, dont beat yourself up over your dilemna with garment wearing. About a year ago I had just come home from a long day of sweaty construction work helping my Dad, I was about to shower so I took off my shirt and garment top, then suddenly my wife asked me to bring the kids home from the park across the street. So I put a clean shirt on (didnt want to put my sweaty dirty garment top back on) and went to get the kids. My Bishop just so happened to be at the park with his kids and so I went to chat with him. He glanced at my chest and didnt see the garment outline under my shirt, oh boy, his face turned kinda pale as if he saw a ghost or something. I laughed in my mind understanding that some of our members are so hung up on being the perfect mormon. Nobody knows your circumstances, just do what you need to do to be happy and appreciate the perfect mormons for the good example that they are and forget about the judging and weird looks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, priesthoodpower said:

He glanced at my chest and didnt see the garment outline under my shirt, oh boy, his face turned kinda pale as if he saw a ghost or something.

Lots of assumptions went into that. I seriously doubt the bishop was doing a garment check. As for people being hung up on being the "perfect Mormon", I don't see a problem with that... except I'd say I'm hung up on trying to be a perfect disciple keeping my covenants with perfect exactness. I don't always succeed, but that doesn't mean I throw the towel in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, priesthoodpower said:

He glanced at my chest and didnt see the garment outline under my shirt, oh boy, his face turned kinda pale as if he saw a ghost or something.

Lots of assumptions went into that. I seriously doubt the bishop was doing a garment check. As for people being hung up on being the "perfect Mormon", I don't see a problem with that... except I'd say I'm hung up on trying to be a perfect disciple keeping my covenants with perfect exactness. I don't always succeed, but that doesn't mean I throw the towel in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did your bishop ask where your garments were? Did you read his mind? Have you ever been thinking about something else and not realized you were staring at something? Maybe he remembered something he was supposed to do, or something that was going to happen at work. I'm just saying it's not fair to him to assign thoughts to him when you don't know what was going through his head at that moment, unless he told you. It's not fair to you, because you tell  yourself a story about a judgmental bishop (and thus a judgmental church) and continue to not only believe it but to spread it. Also, for all the things bishops see and hear, I doubt that the absence of a "celestial smile" would make him go white in the face. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...