Is "vaping" harmful? What every LDS parent should know

pam

There is an article on the lds.net article side regarding e-cigarettes and what LDS parents should know.  What are your thoughts on what is discussed?  How would you handle a teenager, let's say, that says "vaping" is not the same as smoking cigarettes?

http://lds.net/blog/uncategorized/what-every-lds-parent-should-know-about-e-cigarettes/

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, pam said:

There is an article on the lds.net article side regarding e-cigarettes and what LDS parents should know.  What are your thoughts on what is discussed?  How would you handle a teenager, let's say, that says "vaping" is not the same as smoking cigarettes?

http://lds.net/blog/uncategorized/what-every-lds-parent-should-know-about-e-cigarettes/

I'd be careful. The moment you "forbid" something you create an immediate forbidden fruit aspect in many teens. It happened with me, for sure. Remember your crush on the bad boy or bad girl? Part of it was because your parents didn't like them. If your parents said "Johnny who rides the motorcycle and has an the arrow through his head is a great guy! I like him too."  Johnny loses the "bad boy" part in the girls eyes. 

Vaping isn't the same as smoking cigarettes-the smoke in cigarettes has much more toxins then the vape you inhale. Now, that doesn't mean vaping is healthy, good or moral. But because it's 1) new and 2) taboo people will automatically assume the worst.

I quit smoking cigarettes using an early model e-cigarette. So did several other people I know. So vaping can be a good thing in that case.  

Vaping can lead to teen smoking, new study finds - Student Science
Electronic Cigarette Dangers - new research - SkepticalRaptor

Useful things to say when people try to defend Vaping:
* Yeah, I hear your dumb claim 'vaping is safer than cigarettes'.  When talking about beer, nobody ever says "Beer is safer than Vodka!".  Can you tell me why, or should I explain it?

* Yeah, a liquid that has zero regulation or oversight, that we inhale, is made of ingredients that are safe to eat so therefore they're safe to inhale, because it's safer than inhaling smoke! Not an impressive argument.

* Vuse is owned by RJ Reynolds.  You know that, right?

* Show me a study claiming Vaping works as a way of quitting smoking, and I'll give you a lesson in poor study design, flawed methods, and nonexistent controls.

* Show me a personal anecdote about how Vaping worked for you, and I'll give you a lesson on anecdotes vs. science, and a lecture on the placebo effect.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, NeedleinA said:

Nope;) 

....just having fun Gator!

lol. That's not what I heard, but enough about your young and crazy days. 

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Back to my dungeon I go... way to flip it on me...
(silently hangs head low and crawls away now)

It's okay kid, Stick with me and you'll learn. 

Good thing I like you. Imagine what I was really thinking. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, NeedleinA said:

(Echoes from the dungeon cave).... "nooo moorreee Gaattoor popppp tarrrtss forr meee"

My compound does need a new dungeon. Remind me to tell Zill to look into the cost of building one. 

A couple of years ago I was in one of our school PC labs and there was a bunch of students gathered round one of the computers. There were wisps of what seemed to be smoke rising over them so I naturally thought the monitor was on fire. I rushed over to them.

Me: There is smoke coming off that monitor! Turn it off! Now!

(Students look at me as though I am mad.)

Me: I SAW smoke! Turn this monitor off!

Student: (mumbling) It's an e-cigarette. (Opens his bag a couple of inches, giving me a very brief glimpse of something, though I have no idea what.)

Me: What? (I had then never heard of an "e-cigarette")

(Students now go back to discussing to the program they're working on and start to ignore me.)

Me: What the heck is going on here!!??

Student: (annoyed at the continued interruption) It's just an e-cigarette! (Gives me a slightly better look at it this time.)

Me: Someone please tell me what is going on!!

(Students are now ignoring me completely. I am extremely vexed. I go to fetch the lab superintendent.)

Superintendent: Dr. (my surname) tells me there is smoke coming out of this monitor!

Student: It's just an e-cigarette!

I can't remember exactly how it ended, though I think there was eventually a ban on e-cigarettes in the lab. That sounds like a no-brainer nowadays, but e-cigarettes were so new back then that no one had ever thought of having a special rule forbidding them.

But I am still shocked at how casually it was all taken. I daresay e-cigarettes are no more dangerous in the PC lab than they are anywhere else, but for anyone who (like me) started their career as an engineer, the sight of anything resembling smoke rising over any piece of electrical equipment is like a red rag to a bull! (Except possibly when it is disconnected and there is soldering going on - which there never was in that lab.)

Just now, pam said:

yes vaping is harmful. They've found that even steam is harmful, if you give your lungs enough exposure to it. (a study that was done on people who often attended saunas for long periods of time).

And no Vaping isn't as harmful as smoking cigarettes (generally speaking)... in the same way that jumping off a 25 foot cliff onto cement isn't as harmful as jumping off a 100 ft cliff onto cement is.

Edited by Blackmarch

7 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Is there any legislation that prevents people from using these indoors?

Seems uncertain.

As you know, there are thousands of jurisdictions across these united states. Laws vary by locale and who is in power.

Lehi

15 hours ago, dahlia said:

There is a beautiful young man who vapes at my bus stop. I want to hand him pictures of other beautiful young men whose e-cigarettes blew up in their faces, but haven't figured out how to do that without looking like a kook.

Do you also make a habit of approaching random strangers in cars to show them pictures of wreck victims?

6 hours ago, NightSG said:

Do you also make a habit of approaching random strangers in cars to show them pictures of wreck victims?

Jeez ... no.  I wonder if  bus stops are different, tho?  We all speak to each other and know about each other's jobs and a bit of personal life. I just wonder if most young people have heard of the accidents that happen with these devices. It sure would make me think twice. 

27 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Jeez ... no.  I wonder if  bus stops are different, tho?  We all speak to each other and know about each other's jobs and a bit of personal life. I just wonder if most young people have heard of the accidents that happen with these devices. It sure would make me think twice. 

I know how you feel! I once found myself saying to a smoking student, You are so beautiful. Why are you smoking that thing? I have no idea where those words came from. 

12 hours ago, dahlia said:

I just wonder if most young people have heard of the accidents that happen with these devices.

Same things that happened with laptop batteries for years, and have been happening with various toys off and on.  Unregulated lithium batteries either charged wrong or discharged too fast.  Solution is the same for all the products; avoid junk components.  

I think vaping is a great alternative to cigarette use, however that doesn't make vaping safe or something good.

Since a lot of vape juice and devices are unregulated, there's lots of room for accidents and harm to happen. I'd probably point these things out, the chemicals that can be in juice, devices backfiring, the addiction to nicotine, accidental Nicotine ODing (especially if children get their hands on it), etc.  

Guest Godless
On 5/23/2016 at 5:39 PM, NeuroTypical said:

* Show me a study claiming Vaping works as a way of quitting smoking, and I'll give you a lesson in poor study design, flawed methods, and nonexistent controls.

* Show me a personal anecdote about how Vaping worked for you, and I'll give you a lesson on anecdotes vs. science, and a lecture on the placebo effect.

FWIW, I agree with you. It's worth noting, however, that e-cigarettes were originally marketed towards people trying to quit smoking by giving them a safer alternative. I tried it once shortly before I quit smoking (cold turkey, with no help from alternate nicotine sources) and it tasted awful. There was absolutely no "coolness" to the early e-cigs. The wheels fell off when "vape juice" was created and turned e-cigarettes from a sensible smoking alternative to the horrendously obnoxious vaping fad that it is today. 

On 5/29/2016 at 10:44 PM, Carborendum said:

Is there any legislation that prevents people from using these indoors?

ecigslaws.pdf

http://www.licensetovape.com/e-cigarette-state-laws-guide/

Seems uncertain.

Businesses can ban it at their own discretion, but I'm not aware of any actual legislation against it. That could change soon, however, as I believe the FDA is poised to declare e-cigarettes as a government-regulated tobacco product.

19 minutes ago, Godless said:

I tried it once shortly before I quit smoking (cold turkey, with no help from alternate nicotine sources) and it tasted awful.

IMO, they tried to make it taste like a cigarette, but they tried to make it taste like what a cigarette tastes like to a non smoker.  Thus they came up with something that was way too sulfurous.

That, or they used whatever tongueless idiot really Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Same guy who develops diet drinks that "taste just like the real thing" apparently.

• 1 year later...

Prior to my join the church i was a pack a day smoker. After several deep meetings with 2 bishops they arrived at the conclusion that as long as i am not using nicotine in it, it falls in the safe category.  I know some people will disagree with the conclusion but compared to me prior to joining its lessor of 2 evils.

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Prior to my join the church i was a pack a day smoker. After several deep meetings with 2 bishops they arrived at the conclusion that as long as i am not using nicotine in it, it falls in the safe category.  I know some people will disagree with the conclusion but compared to me prior to joining its lessor of 2 evils.

Thanks for sharing! Church authorities are more understanding than people give them credit for!