Tips that work

Sunday21

I used to have a problem with a bathroom sink that was always getting stopped up. Someone told me to put boiling water and detergent down it once a week. Never had a problem since.

i used to suffer from insomnia. I tried having the same bedtime and wake up time everyday. No sleeping in. Works a treat! 

Have you ever followed a tip that really works for you?

12 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I used to have a problem with a bathroom sink that was always getting stopped up. Someone told me to put boiling water and detergent down it once a week. Never had a problem since.

i used to suffer from insomnia. I tried having the same bedtime and wake up time everyday. No sleeping in. Works a treat! 

Have you ever followed a tip that really works for you?

What kind of detergent? Laundry? Liquid or powder?

14 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Dish washing detergent

Wha??? Don't you get the Brady Bunch bubble situation when you do that? How much detergent and how much boiling water? I am so going to try this. I have a slow draining sink and I've tried Liquid Plumr to no avail.

For plugged up sink drains, unscrew the p-trap and clean it out. Put a bucket under it first to catch the water. Once you have the drain running free, use Roebic bacterial main line cleaner once a month. Doesn't hurt septic systems or city sewer systems.

8 hours ago, beefche said:

Wha??? Don't you get the Brady Bunch bubble situation when you do that? How much detergent and how much boiling water? I am so going to try this. I have a slow draining sink and I've tried Liquid Plumr to no avail.

A kettle full of water and 1/4 cup of detergent. Detergent goes first.

11 hours ago, beefche said:

When working with drains, you can use a variety of products to get rid of the goo.  But it always works MUCH better if it is hot.  Hence the boiling water.  Dishwasher detergent or low-suds laundry detergent will both react chemically in a similar manner as lye and they don't suds up as much as hand dish soap.  

The advantage of some chemicals, is that they DO bubble up, actively giving off bubbles of gas.  This bubbling action creates a "scrubbing" action.  Dish soap does not do that.  The bubbles are simple by-products of dish soap and don't do anything to help with clearing the clog.

If you have a solid clog (like hair) the hair must be taken care of mechanically, not chemically.  The bubbles of gas are insufficient for this purpose.

16 hours ago, beefche said:

About a month ago, I finally attacked this one bathtub that had been having drain issues forever and I did not want to call the plumber. Mix about a cup each of Dawn and hydrogen peroxide with a couple tablespoons of salt. Poor it down the drain and COVER THAT DRAIN! Leave it overnight, then plunge away. You will have bubbles everywhere, but oh, it took care of that bathtub drain.

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, Budget said:

I keep lye on hand for making homemade soap

Another soaper?! Sweet! 

I've been making homemade soap for years now. 

6 hours ago, Backroads said:

About a month ago, I finally attacked this one bathtub that had been having drain issues forever and I did not want to call the plumber. Mix about a cup each of Dawn and hydrogen peroxide with a couple tablespoons of salt. Poor it down the drain and COVER THAT DRAIN! Leave it overnight, then plunge away. You will have bubbles everywhere, but oh, it took care of that bathtub drain.

Cover the drain with a plug?

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, zil said:

Hope you're able to find a good, honest plumber to fix it quick.

Installing a toilet is not difficult, especially in the all-in-one kits available at most home centers. Everything's included, even the seat and the wax ring. Instructions, too.

Lehi

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I have a good handyman...Mormon!

Zil takes care of everything in the compound. I don't think she is Mormon though. I think she's an atheist! 

10 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Zil takes care of everything in the compound. I don't think she is Mormon though. I think she's an atheist! 

I can't figure out whether to like this or request a "dislike" button. :)Atheist?!

I hate to say it, but I'm not terribly surprised by the boiling water causing porcelain to crack - toilet water is cold, a rapid change in temperature (or enough of them) seems likely (to me) to cause the material to crack.