In my absences from the forum

Traveler

22 minutes ago, Traveler said:

They were both port cities and the levels of the oceans has dropped and reseeded in excess of 2 kilometers from the levels that existed 2,000 years ago. 

We lived near Pompey for 3½ years. Our daughter, Sister Carobendum, was born in one of the only three Italian cities named in the New Testament: Puteoli, now Pozzuolli.

The port in Pozzuolli rises and falls as the pressure of the magma increases and decreases. The ancient port was a metre or so below the surface when we lived there, but was rising. Sis Carb was born in an active volcano, about 1km from the port. (Long story: involves the USAan congress, mud baths, a luxury hotel, and naval bureaucrats.)

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

18 minutes ago, Traveler said:

the levels of the oceans has dropped and reseeded in excess of 2 kilometers from the levels that existed 2,000 years ago. 

Same thing happened to Pisa: once a powerful port city, now a bywater with a tower that doesn't stand straight up.

Lehi

10 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Uh...Ephesus is at, like, 30' above sea level.  Pretty normal for coastal cites that didn't want to be swamped my every big wave.

Alexandria, also a port city at the time, is also still coastal.  Might want to check your sources.

I saw where vessels were moored for high and low tides - at both ancient cities.  Somebody needs to check their sources.  BTW the actual cities were more than 30 feet above the mooring places.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Greatest country in the history of the universe? Yup. 

The whole universe?

Too big a claim, even for me. Best in the history of this world, absolutely!

Lehi

7 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

We lived near Pompey for 3½ years. Our daughter, Sister Carobendum, was born in one of the only three Italian cities named in the New Testament: Puteoli, now Pozzuolli.

I served five months of my mission in Pozzuoli. Got to know the smell of Solfatara very well.

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I saw where vessels were moored for high and low tides - at both ancient cities.  Somebody needs to check their sources.  BTW the actual cities were more than 30 feet above the mooring places.

Checked sources; yes, Alexandria was definitely a port city 2,000 years ago, and its shoreline (including the harbors) still looks remarkably similar to the old descriptions and maps made from them. (Well, OK, I didn't go fly over it myself, but Google is certainly working one heck of a coverup if they're Photoshopping changes that massive.) Certainly not 2km of change there.  If Ephesus moved, it was due to changes in the shoreline itself, not to the sea level.  Change the sea level enough to move Ephesus' shoreline out 2km, and Alexandria Harbor becomes a small pond in the middle of a big, dry basin.

On 5/25/2016 at 1:50 PM, Vort said:

I served five months of my mission in Pozzuoli. Got to know the smell of Solfatara very well.

Not really the same smell as sulfur, but there was a city in our mission called Talcahuano, Chile. Port city heavily dependent on fish and fish processing. The entire town stunk to high heaven of fish. Simply arriving on the bus to the city you smelled it. Worse was on rain days, the fish smell fell from the skies and soaked your clothes. Every time there were zone conferences, everyone knew by the smell which city you were serving in. Lovely!

Thinking of sulfur smell, we walked our entire mission, and our socks would produce sulfur smells. I had a semi-greenie companion that was testing his limits with me one day. That night once the lights went out, in the dark, I hung my rancid socks dangling from the bottom of the top bunk suspended above his nose on the bottom bunk. I cried tears of laughter that night as I heard him break down in Spanish trying to figure out why it stunk so bad that night!