Recommended Psychology Books with LDS Authors

Awakened

Hey, can anyone recommend me any books with LDS authors that talk about psychology with a gospel perspective? I am specifically looking for books on full self-control using gospel principles, basic or advanced. Or heck, even a book that doesn't necessarily teach you but at least talks about such. I can't really find anything though...  Also something that mixes meditation with LDS principles would also be incredibly welcome and helpful.

I know "Matters of the Mind: Latter-day Saint Helps for Mental Illness", but that seems to be the only book on LDS psychology that I can find so far. I really really wish to learn to control my body and mind on an incredibly high level, but I really want to avoid getting into waters I maybe should have left alone. Or disturbing and using powers that maybe ought not to be used at all.

Edited by Awakened

Try the Arbinger Institute.

Particularly you'll want to read The Anatomy of Peace and The Bonds that Make Us Free.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

The first one that pops to mind regarding self control by an LDS author is The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.

The next author that comes to mind is not LDS. James Allen wrote a lot about this topic. I don't agree with the entirety of his philosophy, but he does have some good ideas. He was a big fan of both Christianity and Buddhism and that really comes through in his writing. All his stuff is public domain, and you can read it free at this link: http://james-allen.in1woord.nl/

Guest LiterateParakeet

Do a google search for Phil McLemore.  He has some YouTube videos, and a website http://meditatewithphil.com.  I have a friend (good, solid member) that recommends him.  I heard him speak once (on the internet).  He appears to be a good, faithful member of the church.  If I remember correctly, it was him that got me started with mediation.  

Thanks everyone! I'll look into all these much more.

EDIT: I don't know why but the site, www.meditatewithphil.com kinda ticked me off. He won't give any information outside of you paying for it and there's no handy book I can just buy and be done with it. Furthermore, the course costs $45.00... The heck?

Edited by Awakened

Guest LiterateParakeet
4 hours ago, Awakened said:

Thanks everyone! I'll look into all these much more.

EDIT: I don't know why but the site, www.meditatewithphil.com kinda ticked me off. He won't give any information outside of you paying for it and there's no handy book I can just buy and be done with it. Furthermore, the course costs $45.00... The heck?

OH drats sorry about that.  I don't pay for it.  I just mentioned him because hearing him on a podcast was very helpful.  I'd link to the podcast instead, but I don't recommend the site where it was located, and don't want to promote it.  

How about this - Jon Kabot-Zinn is a doctor who uses meditation to help people manage chronic pain.  My point being that I don't think you have to worry about conflicting religious ideas with him.  He has several books, here is some basic info about him to get you started: http://www.mindfullivingprograms.com/whatMBSR.php

I also like Father Thomas Keating (he's Catholic, not LDS) but I didn't think anything he shared conflicted with our beliefs.  He teaches about "Centering Prayer" which is basically meditation with the goal of being closer to God. 

For those seeking therapy, psychologytoday.com has a "find a therapist" feature, that lets you filter for location and religion.  In the Seattle area I found one therapist who identified as LDS.  In the Salt Lake City area you would find around 2-dozen.