Is this wrong? Even better, do you personally do this?

NeedleinA

Just curious what you think on any of these, are these wrong? Where do you personally draw the line? Do you do any of these?

1. Bring your own candy or drink into the movie theater?
2. Share you online digital movie/tv service account password with others so they can view it from their own house too OR use someone else's? For example Netflix / VUDU
3. Invite a handicap/elderly person with you to an event so you can use their handicap parking tag?
4. Use the other gender's single occupancy bathroom when you are out because your own gender stall is occupied, ex. gas station, restaurant, etc.?
5. Avoid a call at home/work by having someone else say you are not there, when you really are?
6. Leave one movie and walk into another at the theater when finished without paying? (My 65+ year old single mother does this. She says, "oh the theater doesn't care as long as you buy some popcorn every so often". She has done this for years and will watch 2-3 movies per visit)
7. You are at a no saving seats event/meeting, but you still toss your coat, bag,etc across several seats to save them?

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest LiterateParakeet

1. Bring your own candy or drink into the movie theater?     Absolutely.  I don't have a problem with this because I paid for the movie and  their concession prices are so ridiculous that I would never buy their stuff anyway.
2. Share you online digital movie/tv service account password with others so they can view it from their own house too OR use someone else's? For example Netflix / VUDU   No, that's dishonest.  
3. Invite a handicap/elderly person with you to an event so you can use their handicap parking tag?   No.  That's so rude to the person you are taking advantage of, and lazy too. 
4. Use the other gender's single occupancy bathroom when you are out because your own gender stall is occupied, ex. gas station, restaurant, etc.?   If it's a "bathroom emergency" yes, but generally speaking no.  I think that's inconsiderate. 
5. Avoid a call at home/work by having someone else say you are not there, when you really are?  With cell phones this issue doesn't arise much any more, but yeah I might have done it in the past.  No, I don't think it's honest, but at the same time I don't see any reason that you have to be at someone else's beck and call.  If you don't want to talk to them, you don't have to.   I put this in the same category of "dishonesty" as when someone says "does this dress make me look fat?" and  it does.  So you say, "It's a great color on you."
6. Leave one movie and walk into another at the theater when finished without paying? (My 65+ year old single mother does this. She says, "oh the theater doesn't care as long as you buy some popcorn every so often". She has done this for years and will watch 2-3 movies per visit)  No, disrespect to your mom, but no I don't do this because I think it's not only dishonest but a form of stealing. 
7. You are at a no saving seats event/meeting, but you still toss your coat, bag,etc across several seats to save them?  I haven't done it, and probably wouldn't...but 'eh maybe.  I don't think this is dishonest, but it is inconsiderate.  

Interesting questions Needle.  Don't forget to tell us your answers later.  You reminded me of a story a friend told me.  Her brother (who had previously been a Bishop) offered to lend her a copy of the Matrix.  "It's okay, it's edited," he said.  When she said she didn't know that was available on DVD already he said, "It isn't.  This is a pirated version."  

But it was edited . . . shaking my head. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Rather than simply post my current thoughts I felt my actions could speak louder - so I've decided to respond by stating whether or not I've done these things.

Guilty - I've done this once or twice as a teenager. I don't tend to feel comfortable with it though so I only did it the one or two times.

2. Share you online digital movie/tv service account password with others so they can view it from their own house too OR use someone else's? For example Netflix / VUDU

Guilty-ish. My wife and I logged on to Netflix at my in-laws and forgot to log off and started noticing all kinds of new things popping up as watched that we'd never seen. We've never shared the password and would not really feel good doing so.

3. Invite a handicap/elderly person with you to an event so you can use their handicap parking tag?

This has never occurred to me. I suppose if the individual wanted to go it wouldn't be all bad, but otherwise I'd suggest it is using them - showing a lack of class and respect for another human.

4. Use the other gender's single occupancy bathroom when you are out because your own gender stall is occupied, ex. gas station, restaurant, etc.?

I'm pretty sure I may have done this, but I can't say for sure. Certainly if in dire need I would consider it, and I also might consider going in the opposite gender bathroom to help my daughter.

5. Avoid a call at home/work by having someone else say you are not there, when you really are?

As a kid I did this from time to time, or was in the position of being accomplice to this act for another sibling. I'd also use hand signals to get my mom to say I wasn't allowed to go (loud enough my friend could hear it) to invites I didn't want to accept so that I wouldn't have to tell some one I just didn't want to spend time with them or go to a certain activity at this time. As an adult I just don't answer the phone if I don't want to talk to some one at home. 

6. Leave one movie and walk into another at the theater when finished without paying? (My 65+ year old single mother does this. She says, "oh the theater doesn't care as long as you buy some popcorn every so often". She has done this for years and will watch 2-3 movies per visit)

I have never and can't see myself ever doing this.

7. You are at a no saving seats event/meeting, but you still toss your coat, bag,etc across several seats to save them?

When I know it is specifically a no saving seats event I get very annoted to see people doing so anyway. I don't like it, but I might cave in and do it under pressure from family. Although I might also be guilty of throwing aside some one's coat saving a place and inhabiting the seat when I know it shouldn't be there any way.

5 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Just curious what you think on any of these, are these wrong? Where do you personally draw the line? Do you do any of these?

I would first have to go to a movie theater.  (I'm reasonably certain I've done this in my youth.  I wouldn't any more.)

I would first have to have such an account.  (No, I would not do this with someone else's account.)  Of course, I'm a (physical) book person, not a video person, so....  (People who photocopy entire physical books (or somehow copy eBooks) so other people don't have to buy them ought to be severely fined and have their face plastered all over the place as a thief.)

My brother is in a wheelchair, since ~2000.  He, fortunately, has a minivan kitted for wheelchair use (_freaking_ expensive - people in wheelchairs who want to drive basically have to pay 2x (the cost of a minivan) what a normal person has to pay in order to get themselves around).  In case it hasn't occurred to you yet, the ramp, followed by enough empty pavement for him to wheel off the ramp, needs at least 6 feet to that side of his van, or he can't get in / out of the van.  I DESPISE the act of abusing handicap parking in any way - falsely getting a pass, using someone else's pass when they're not with you, using such a space when you don't *need* it, etc.  (See #7 below - depending on the details, this may not do you any good after all.)

As for bringing the handicapped person with you - if you really are ONLY doing it for their parking pass, you're pretty despicable.  If it's just a side benefit of bringing someone as a service to them or because they were going anyway or you wanted to spend time with them, whatever.  (NOTE: I suppose it depends on the jurisdiction, but in some cases, the tag is tied to the vehicle, so you'll have to bring their vehicle too...)

You're kidding right?  9 times out of 10, it's worth waiting for the Women's room to empty.  (Or was this question only directed at men? :P )

At home, I just don't answer if I can't bring myself to deal with whoever it is (or never if I don't recognize the caller ID).  When my husband was alive, we might have used, "I'm sorry s/he's not available right now, can I have him/her call you back?" - not really lying. As as LP said, I am NOT obliged when I'm at home to be available to you on your timeframe.  (Asynchronous communication is one of the best inventions ever, IMO.)  At work, I always answer - my wishes are irrelevant, I'm being paid to answer.

See #1 above.  But no, I wouldn't do this.  This is theft.

Never heard of a "no saving seats event/meeting", except those which have assigned seating via tickets or some such (and this entire "problem" would be solved by always using that model if you (the event organizer) care).  But then, the only meetings I go to are church, and there's no need for me to save any seats there.

IMO, this is pure weirdness on the part of everyone.  If I come with 4 other people, drop them off at the door, and, for example, then drive my brother's wheelchair van to the far, far parking lot because all the handicapped spots are taken, what in the world is wrong with them saving me a seat?  They know I'm coming, we're together, there's no reason for them to stand around waiting for me to make the drive and trek (especially when one of them is old enough that just standing around would be a hardship).

I suppose if you're a person who "saves" the seat next to you just so it'll be empty, you're a bit of a jerk.  If you and your potential friends are all flaky and there's no telling how many will show up or when, so you're not saving seats for certain people but potential people, you're also a jerk, but I fail to see why others get so upset at other people being jerks (ask Vort, it seems we're all jerks at one time or another).  Want better seats?  Come earlier.  The event has forbidden saving seats?  Plan to arrive together / wait for each other in the lobby.  Doesn't seem hard.  Your friends are all flakes who can't refuse to arrive on time?  Get new friends (or accept the consequences of flakehood and don't be forced into jerkhood to compensate for their flakehood - shows complete lack of respect and abuse all the way around).

Of course, I never* go to events, so my opinion isn't worth much.  (Story above about the wheelchair van and the "north 40" parking lot being the only exception I can think of in the past decade or so.)

Edited by zil

I do number 1, but not the rest. I probably did 5 before caller ID. I let my voicemail screen calls if it's an unknown caller and don't give my cell number to everyone. 

I do 1 all the time, UNLESS it's a local mom-n-pop theatre. Big chain cineplexes, too bad. 4, not opposed to doing. 7 seems childish.

Now I'm thinking of the time in high school we were going to see some big movie. I picked up my baby brothers from school and proceeded to stuff their snow suits full of goodies.

Edited by Backroads

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

1. Totally fine. I don't like candy and I don't like going to the movies, so this does't apply to me. 

2. Totally fine. It was like taping songs off the radio in the 80's/90's. Again, I don't like movies much. I don't have a Netflix. 

3. Totally fine. They handicapped person would rather be your friend than your cause, so just invite them out anyway.  Done it before with my disabled MIL. 

4. Fine, just knock first and make sure it's single occupancy bathroom or have a friend "stand guard" so no one walks in. Done it before personally. 
5. Instead just say "Can't come to the phone right now". Do it quite often, actually. 

6. Maybe it's not kosher but since so few people go to the movies anymore no one will really care. 
7. Totally fine. Sometimes you just want to sit by yourself. Also have done it before, but not at event where there is paid seating obviously. 

I'm not saying that I see it here, but if you (not you meaning the OP, universal usage of the word) focus obsessively with what type of behavior is "sinful" you might be dealing with scrupulosity which is a type of OCD. 

Edited by MormonGator

I am uneasy in actually doing this, but I don't think it is immoral. The theater owners have the right to set their conditions for service, but it's up to them to enforce those rules. They do not have the force of law. Clearly, it is done so that they can make money selling concessions -- their big moneymaker -- and it is because of those concessions that they can keep ticket prices lower. But if I bring a candy bar or a can of soda pop in with me, that's my business, as long as I'm not making a mess. I admit I might feel different if I were the theater owner.

If I'm visiting them and they want to watch a movie on Netflix, I have no problem signing in on my account. But I would not just give out my credentials to others to use as they see fit. That does not seem honest to me. (I believe that Netflix has something in place to prevent more than two accesses to an account simultaneously, unless you pay for more simultaneous accesses.)

I see nothing immoral (or illegal) about this. If you're bringing a handicapped person with you, you park in a handicap space for their benefit.

I do not believe I would ever think, "Oh, we should go pick up Sister Smith the invalid so that we can take advantage of her handicap parking pass!" Not because I am so much more virtuous than that, but the opposite: The pain-in-the-neck factor of picking up and helping a handicapped person far outweighs walking an extra twenty (or even two hundred) yards in the parking lot. If I picked up Sister Smith, it would be because I enjoy her company, or perhaps that I want to do something to help her out of love and charity. Not for a parking pass. That just doesn't make sense to me.

I have done this before, and I have no problem with it, as long as members of said opposite sex aren't lined up to use the restroom. Sadly, this has become an anochronistic question.

This one bothers me, though I think it's silly to be bothered by it. It somehow just seems openly dishonest. I prefer to say (or have others say for me), "He is not available at the moment. Can I take a message?" This was especially important when we had younger teens at home alone, when I explicitly told them never to say that we weren't there.

The real, root problem here is that there are invasive expectations. A telephone call is not, or should not be, a summons to appear and act immediately. It is said that Alexander Graham Bell stood aghast at the idea that people would allow a telephone call to be signaled by a loud bell, invading the privacy of the home. Most of us over 30, probably all living Americans, grew up with the shrill telephone ring as an expected part of our living background noise. But it should not be that way, nor should there be an expectation that we can call and ask for someone, perhaps without even identifying ourselves first, and expect to get an open response. We should have no such expectation.

Dishonest, and probably illegal. I think you're trespassing at that point. I have not done that and would not. I do notice that my local megaplex has quit labeling the different theaters by the movies they show, ostensibly to discourage exactly this behavior.

If the event is explicitly "no seat saving", then you shouldn't do that. However, I would not be averse to us all seating ourselves, then going out to use the restroom or whatever and leaving our coat to save our place -- probably along with at least two others in the group to tell others that said people are present but ran out quickly.

I realize that some will take advantage of this idea to stake out a homestead well before the others arrive and make exactly this claim. I think that is dishonest and is exactly what they are asked not to do. But in general, it's not worth making a big deal out of.

Edited by Vort

8 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

1. Bring your own candy or drink into the movie theater?     Absolutely.  I don't have a problem with this because I paid for the movie and  their concession prices are so ridiculous that I would never buy their stuff anyway.

6 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Guilty - I've done this once or twice as a teenager. I don't tend to feel comfortable with it though so I only did it the one or two times.

5 hours ago, zil said:

I would first have to go to a movie theater.  (I'm reasonably certain I've done this in my youth.  I wouldn't any more.)

5 hours ago, Budget said:

I don't think I've ever done any of them. 

4 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I do number 1, 

4 hours ago, Backroads said:

I do 1 all the time, UNLESS it's a local mom-n-pop theatre. Big chain cineplexes, too bad. 

4 hours ago, MormonGator said:

1. Totally fine. I don't like candy and I don't like going to the movies, so this does't apply to me. 

1 hour ago, Vort said:

I am uneasy in actually doing this, but I don't think it is immoral. The theater owners have the right to set their conditions for service, but it's up to them to enforce those rules. They do not have the force of law. Clearly, it is done so that they can make money selling concessions -- their big moneymaker -- and it is because of those concessions that they can keep ticket prices lower. But if I bring a candy bar or a can of soda pop in with me, that's my business, as long as I'm not making a mess. I admit I might feel different if I were the theater owner.

Thanks everyone for your responses, it is fun to see your thoughts and where you personally draw the line. 
So looking only at question #1: Bring your own candy or drink into the movie theater? 

Needle's Answer: Yes, I have done this in the past. I currently don't and won't because I have come to believe more strongly that it is dishonest, a feeling that I always knew when I was doing it but tried to suppress or justify. FYI, this is just a fun little thread, nothing more. In the past I always had the feeling of "this isn't cool, this isn't right". Those feelings started by the fact that we have to "sneak" the candy/pop in theater in the first place. Why sneak it, why hide it? Are we being deceptive/dishonest some how?

My prior justifications were similar to those described here:
1. "I paid for the movie and  their concession prices are so ridiculous" 
2. "Big chain cineplexes, too bad."
3. "that's my business, as long as I'm not making a mess."

Perhaps as a business owner, I'm more sensitive to this in my older years. Like Vort mentioned, "Clearly, it is done so that they can make money selling concessions -- their big moneymaker".

Taken from CNN Money
" Owners (Theater Owners) joke about being in the candy business," said theater owner Howard Edelman, proprietor of Movieland Cinemas, an independent string of cinemas in the Long Island, NY-area. "If you didn't have concessions at a movie theater, there would be no movie theater. We have movies just to get people in to buy popcorn and candy, where we make our money...
That's why the extras -- especially the concession stand -- are so important. Without pricey snacks, most theaters couldn't stay in business."

Is it easier to break the rules if you feel the company is a faceless big chain? Would your feelings change if you personally were employed by a big chain?
Again, just a fun little thread, nothing more. Just last night was my son's birthday. We took the teenagers to Golden Corral where each of them snagged a bag of cotton candy before leaving to take into the theater. As I was about to say something about it, I realized my wife was doing the same thing. I bit my tongue and decided this was not something worth fighting over, rather I have to choose my battles.;)

Congrats to @Budget, soon to be translated and whisked away to Heaven for never doing any of the questionable scenarios. :angel:

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest LiterateParakeet

Needle, I hope you know I like you and respect you. So please forgive my quibble but TWICE you made a strong statement about how you are against this, and the say, "but just a fun Lil thread."

Double speak, and I'm not buying it. :) Its okay, we all have our "pet peeves".

I do buy popcorn and soda, it's the candy that I sneak in...does that help?heh heh heh.

LOL NeedleinA....   I tend to give REALLY long answers so I tried really hard to keep it short.  Perhaps I'll explain a little more... 

I don't go to theaters anymore - even rated PG has too much uncomfortable and gratuitous 'stuff' I don't care to see, especially with a room full of strangers. 

I don't have a Netflix account, don't even know what VUDU is - I assume like HULU but I don't have any accounts like that anywhere anyway.

Never occurred to me to invite a handicapped person with so we can use their parking pass. Reminds me of the issue amusement parks were having where they would bring "Grandma" in a wheel chair just so they could line skip and get all 15 family members on the rides first without waiting. People were faking being in wheelchairs and 'renting' out neighbors, etc. to use as their free pass for their group.  Apparently this was a 'thing' so Disney had to change their rules to stop it as it was so bad.

Nope. Never have used the men's bathroom when the females side was too long. And would not appreciate others doing so although I am female and it's more likely for women to have to use men's than the other way around as our lines are always long. 

I can't and don't lie. I just can't. So if I'm home and my husband answered I would take it... if I don't know the number at all I won't answer and will wait to see what the voicemail says - usually it's a marketing or sales hang up. 

Walking into other theaters and seeing 2-3 movies when you've just paid for one...  Never occurred to me... people do this?  It's a 'thing'? I would not only feel guilty doing so but be afraid I'd get caught doing it.  How mortifying.  LOL.

Seat saving at a NO SEAT SAVING event:  I get very frustrated and yes, angry when I see people doing this. EVERYONE needs/wants seats and you aren't any more important or 'needy' than anyone else. If you get your seat, have to leave to use the rest room, etc. then of course it's fine to 'save' your seat that you already came early enough to claim... but I seethed inside when I have seen a woman save 2 ROWS of seats before at a graduation and some of the 'group' she saved for never even showed up.

I wonder if they knocked their concessions down to a reasonable price, to where most people wouldn't think it's worth it to go to the trouble of bringing their own, if the profit margin would even out, because they'd gain the business of tightwads like the majority of us here. 

How about amusement parks or water parks? I think it's unethical to forbid outside food from a place you'll likely be all day, and then practice flat-out price gouging on the food made available. I have no ethical qualms whatsoever about taking food into such a place, if you can get it past security.

23 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Needle, I hope you know I like you and respect you. So please forgive my quibble but TWICE you made a strong statement about how you are against this, and the say, "but just a fun Lil thread."

Double speak, and I'm not buying it. :) Its okay, we all have our "pet peeves".

I do buy popcorn and soda, it's the candy that I sneak in...does that help?heh heh heh.

You put a smile on my face LP!!:D If only you knew how hypocritical I feel in this thread, I haven't given my answers on the other questions yet - hah. My kids and my wife learned sneaking food in the theater from yours truly. If you all could see me in real life... I have real pet peeves, but taking treats into the theater really was only for fun, really!

If someone wants to talk about smokers flicking their cigarette butts on the ground... then the pet peeve beast would be unleashed!

So, my answer to sharing Netflix account password with others... yes, I do it<_< My mother, my sister and my friend out in Utah all have my account. So basically they all have free Netflix. So, yes, you can share Netflix simultaneously with a standard account. King of the hypocrites = ME. 
I can not bring myself to "cheat" the faceless movie theater, but for some reason I haven't stopped "cheating" the faceless Netflix. 

...hangs head in shame and logs off the forum now... 

46 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I have no ethical qualms whatsoever about taking food into such a place, if you can get it past security.

Geez, all these rebels around here! This is where that Relief Society Enrichment class in learning how to stitch a false bottom in your purse pays off!

I bet you don't actually stop at those store placed "STOP" signs you see in front of Kohls, Lowe's or the Home Depot crosswalks;)

Edited by NeedleinA

45 minutes ago, Budget said:

Walking into other theaters and seeing 2-3 movies when you've just paid for one...  Never occurred to me... people do this?  It's a 'thing'? I would not only feel guilty doing so but be afraid I'd get caught doing it.  How mortifying.  LOL.

I hope that I haven't inadvertently given you an idea now.
My mother does this. I can honestly say I never have done this and never would. I don't look like a homely old grandma and would get caught on my first attempt!;)

45 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I wonder if they knocked their concessions down to a reasonable price, to where most people wouldn't think it's worth it to go to the trouble of bringing their own, if the profit margin would even out, because they'd gain the business of tightwads like the majority of us here. 

How about amusement parks or water parks? I think it's unethical to forbid outside food from a place you'll likely be all day, and then practice flat-out price gouging on the food made available. I have no ethical qualms whatsoever about taking food into such a place, if you can get it past security.

I go to the various little pools in the Ogden area... and I'm more than happy to buy stuff from their snack bars. Part of it is the fun of eating junk food at the water park, and the other part is that the prices are very reasonable. So not only do they get my entry money, but I'll probably buy a burger or a snow cone or something.

And no, I don't think any of them forbid outside food.

10 hours ago, Eowyn said:

Thank goodness Lagoon allows coolers.  Families bring picnic lunches and drinks and then don't have to purchase the food inside the park.

8 hours ago, pam said:

Thank goodness Lagoon allows coolers.  Families bring picnic lunches and drinks and then don't have to purchase the food inside the park.

I think we once purchased Subway inside Lagoon. Holy prices, Batman! Then another time some years ago, I took some younger cousins, children of my multimillionaire uncle, there for the day. My uncle literally handed me a hundred dollars for food and said "I am familiar with the prices there."

Edited by Backroads

I don't know about Lagoon, or where or what it is.

But I will tell you that going back some years I have had experience taking kids to the parks here, and $100 wouldn't even get you in the door.  Not even a few of them. 

dc

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Backroads said:

This was 100$ just for lunch for three kids and me. Atop the ticket price.

I know that's a lot of money-and it is-but in fairness the costs of running a theme park are astronomical. 

19 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I know that's a lot of money-and it is-but in fairness the costs of running a theme park are astronomical. 

Costs have nothing to do with the price of admission. The only thing that counts is what people are willing to pay.

This drives, not only the entrance fee, but, indirectly, the costs, too: if the costs are higher than the revenue, the park will either find a way to reduce those costs, or close down.

The Law of Supply'n'Demand is universal, and all suppliers are price takers, not price setters.

Lehi

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

The Law of Supply'n'Demand is universal, and all suppliers are price takers, not price setters.

Costs have much to do with the price of admission, actually. That's why Disney charges 100 bucks a day instead of .50 cents. 

Thanks. I know about economics too. In fact, we've discussed our favorite economic writers before. Bastiat, Friedman, etc. I know about supply and demand. Most of us do, really. 

A theme park can only jack up prices too much until they drive people away, so they'll raise prices in other ways to turn a profit. That's why a t-shirt at Disney with Mickey on it will cost 30.00 instead of 20 down the road off property. 

Edited by MormonGator