Is this wrong? Even better, do you personally do this?

NeedleinA

On 6/4/2016 at 1:40 AM, NeedleinA said:

Just curious what you think on any of these, are these wrong? Where do you personally draw the line? Do you do any of these?

1. Bring your own candy or drink into the movie theater?
2. Share you online digital movie/tv service account password with others so they can view it from their own house too OR use someone else's? For example Netflix / VUDU
3. Invite a handicap/elderly person with you to an event so you can use their handicap parking tag?
4. Use the other gender's single occupancy bathroom when you are out because your own gender stall is occupied, ex. gas station, restaurant, etc.?
5. Avoid a call at home/work by having someone else say you are not there, when you really are?
6. Leave one movie and walk into another at the theater when finished without paying? (My 65+ year old single mother does this. She says, "oh the theater doesn't care as long as you buy some popcorn every so often". She has done this for years and will watch 2-3 movies per visit)
7. You are at a no saving seats event/meeting, but you still toss your coat, bag,etc across several seats to save them?

1.  Yes, unless posted otherwise.  It's private property and they can set their own rules.

2.  Never.  This is clearly theft.  It's exactly the same as shoplifting.

3.  If that is the only reason they are being invited, no way.  That is dishonest.

4.  No, unless it's an emergency.

5.  No.  That's lying.

6.  No.  That's theft.

7.  NO.  That's very selfish.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Exactly.

Lehi

Right. And since they can only raise prices so high before people turn away at the gate, they make up for it by raising concession prices in order to cover the costs of maintenance, employees, etc. So yes, it's actually quite expensive to maintain a park so concessions prices are higher there than down the road. The mark up for concessions is higher than the markup for park admission, so the majority of the operating costs are covered by t-shirts, food, etc. 

Edited by MormonGator

I don't exactly begrudge them the prices. Fun park food is part of the experience one can choose to have.

I just recall being amazed that my uncle guesstimated 100$ for four people. Granted, we ate well at lunch and got a snack later, but we used up much of that.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I don't exactly begrudge them the prices. Fun park food is part of the experience one can choose to have.

I just recall being amazed that my uncle guesstimated 100$ for four people. Granted, we ate well at lunch and got a snack later, but we used up much of that.

The lovely LadyGator and I are annual pass holders to Disney. We live only an hour and fifteen minutes away. It's expensive, but since we go so often it pays for itself very quickly if you are a Disney buff. 

On 6/4/2016 at 4:40 AM, NeedleinA said:

Just curious what you think on any of these, are these wrong? Where do you personally draw the line? Do you do any of these?

2. Share you online digital movie/tv service account password with others so they can view it from their own house too OR use someone else's? For example Netflix / VUDU
3. Invite a handicap/elderly person with you to an event so you can use their handicap parking tag?
4. Use the other gender's single occupancy bathroom when you are out because your own gender stall is occupied, ex. gas station, restaurant, etc.?
5. Avoid a call at home/work by having someone else say you are not there, when you really are?
6. Leave one movie and walk into another at the theater when finished without paying? (My 65+ year old single mother does this. She says, "oh the theater doesn't care as long as you buy some popcorn every so often". She has done this for years and will watch 2-3 movies per visit)
7. You are at a no saving seats event/meeting, but you still toss your coat, bag,etc across several seats to save them?

1.  No.  It is specifically written in my theater's rules and regs.  They can kick you out for bringing your own food.  It's their theater, it's their rules.  You don't like it, go to a different theater that allows you to bring your own food.  I go to the theater almost every weekend that everybody there knows us.  I respect all of them just as they respect me and give me excellent service.  Go AMC!  With the awesome reclining reservation-required theater seats!

2.  No.  That is tantamount to piracy.  Also against the rules established by the movie/TV business.

3.  Yes!  Absolutely!  My siblings fought over who gets to drive my handicapped dad places!  This is not against any rules.

4.  Yes.  Also not against the rules.  There is actually no law that says you have to be the same gender as the sign on the bathroom door in any of the places I've been to... including public places.  Using the bathroom that has your gender on the sign is more about social organization than rule.  I've gone to the men's restroom (not single-occupancy) twice in my life - once when the women's room was closed for cleaning, the 2nd time when they ran out of toilet paper and I had to go to the men's restroom to get some...  The first time, my husband went in there with me.  The 2nd time, I was by myself, there was nobody in the restroom and so I ran in there and out lickity split before anybody walked in.  You can go to any private place including Chik-fil-A before the NC bill and you will not find "bathroom gender rules" in their customer terms and conditions.

5. Caller ID has been around for a long time.  But if someone else picks up the phone and they ask for me and I didn't want to talk, I tell them I'm busy.

6.  Yes and No.  This is against the rules of movie theaters.  You can get kicked out of there for this too.  But, I have gone to another movie after my movie finishes without paying for it.  Many times.  I ask the manager of the theater if I can and when the movie is already well started and there's still available seats (my theater has reserved seating), the manager lets me sit in.  I do this a lot for movies I've already seen that I want to see again.  The cool thing about reserved seating is... if somebody is movie-jumping and is sitting in your seat, you can kick them out yourself.

7.  I don't think I've ever been to a no reserved-seating event/place.  At least, everytime I've reserved seats, they've always been allowed - at least I thought so.  But if I were in one, then I won't reserve the seat.  Respect.

12 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Costs have much to do with the price of admission, actually. That's why Disney charges 100 bucks a day instead of .50 cents. 

Thanks. I know about economics too. In fact, we've discussed our favorite economic writers before. Bastiat, Friedman, etc. I know about supply and demand. Most of us do, really. 

A theme park can only jack up prices too much until they drive people away, so they'll raise prices in other ways to turn a profit. That's why a t-shirt at Disney with Mickey on it will cost 30.00 instead of 20 down the road off property. 

You and LeSellers are saying the exact same thing.  LeSellers is saying, the price of something is set by the person willing to pay it.  You said, a theme park can only jack up prices too much until they drive people away.  Same exact thing.

But yeah, even if it costs you 500 bucks to entertain one person at your theme park if people are only willing to pay 10 cents for it, you can't use your cost to set the price.  But even if you spent only 10 cents to entertain one person and people are willing to pay 500 bucks for it, it will be silly to set your price under 500 bucks.

On 6/5/2016 at 9:20 AM, Backroads said:

I think we once purchased Subway inside Lagoon. Holy prices, Batman! Then another time some years ago, I took some younger cousins, children of my multimillionaire uncle, there for the day. My uncle literally handed me a hundred dollars for food and said "I am familiar with the prices there."

This is why I prefer street festivals.  Ideally, free admission ones.  

Unfortunately, my chicken-finding friend moved away.  She could locate a fried chicken place in an unfamiliar area a quarter mile away, downwind.  When a sandwich at the festival vendors is $9, it's really handy to have someone with a psychic ability to tell you that there's a Chicken Express four blocks west and a block north, with a special on the large chicken tender platter.  Between that and the Baptist church on the edge of town offering free parking and a shuttle bus to a block from the main stage, not counting gas there and back and the water and sodas we brought, I don't think we completely wiped out a $20 on good entertainment from 11AM to 10PM.

Guest MormonGator
26 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

You and LeSellers are saying the exact same thing.  LeSellers is saying, the price of something is set by the person willing to pay it.  You said, a theme park can only jack up prices too much until they drive people away.  Same exact thing.

Yes, I know. 

Yes I do this.  I understand they charge more for snacks and drinks because their staff typically has to clean up when people make messes, but the massive prices amount to gouging, in my opinion.  I admit that it's a bit dishonest since, on some level, by going to the theater you're agreeing to abide by their rules, which include a prohibition against bringing your own refreshments, but I still do it.

Only within family, which is a feature now a part of Netflix anyway.

No I wouldn't do this.  It's using a friend.

I did this once a couple of years ago but it was an extreme emergency.  I was literally on the verge of soiling my pants.

This one's pretty hard to do in an age when we all have our own cellphones, so I guess the analog is simply not  answering the call, which is within my rights to do.

No, never done that.  Your mom might be right about that though.  Movie theaters make the vast majority of their profits on selling concessions, not tickets.  If I were that theater manager, I'd rather your mom watch 3 movies for the price of 1 but buy plenty of popcorn and soda than to see only one movie during her visit.  In fact, I'm surprised double features aren't more common.

Yeah, I'd do that if I had friends or family arriving shortly.

21 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Costs have much to do with the price of admission, actually. That's why Disney charges 100 bucks a day instead of .50 cents. 

Not really. Costs have to do with whether Disney can stay in business, that's it.  All things being equal, Disney will charge as much as they can charge!  Even if their costs were half what they currently are, they wouldn't cut the price of the ticket in half.  They would be foolish to do so. The market can bear $100, so they will charge $100.  The opposite is true, if their costs were double and they tried to charge double their revenues would drop and they would go out of business.

Costs indirectly affect the price, but not directly.

Yes it's wrong.

I share some accounts only with those who are living in the same house, and even then its pretty limited.

I dont take food or drinks to cinema out of courtesy to other people more than the house rules. Conversely theres a special place in the ninth ring of heck for those who do.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:40 AM, NeedleinA said:

I'll only address number 1. For me no and this is why it is wrong and cheap.

Movies make most of their money from the concessions, yeah we complain about high ticket prices but the theaters don't make as much as you think on those. If the price of candy and soda is to high don't buy it. Or go less often so that you can buy a bag of popcorn and a soda.  If you still think the price is to high it sounds like you can't afford to go to the movies and need to rethink your entertainment choices. 

Someone tell me what's the conversation you have with your kids when you explain why you have to sneak candy into a movie? Why is it ok to sneak food into a movie theatre but not a restaurant?

It's wrong and unethical. If your doing it stop.

8 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I'll only address number 1. For me no and this is why it is wrong and cheap.

In my mind this is related to what you said, but when I read it again it sounded like it doesn't.  I was gonna cancel the post but then I thought maybe it really is related...

Anyway...

I worked at grocery store pricing and learned that grocery stores lose money everytime they sell a jar/tub of Gerber baby food.  But they continue to sell Gerber baby food.  These items are simply to get customers in the door.  Also, the cost of shoplifting is worked into the price of goods.  So, everybody ends up paying for a shoplifter's gain.

On June 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM, NeedleinA said:

You are correct Blackmarch, that was the whole point of the fun little exercise. The shades of grey?

Its very difficult to see grey, a person tends to miss it. sometimes right up to when they are passing thru the solid black. Far too often i hear that grey is white.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!

Interesting article: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/won-t-jail-sharing-netflix-130133733.html?ref=gs

Netflix subsequently told Business Insider“As long as they aren’t selling them, members can use their passwords however they please.”

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

UPDATE!!

Interesting article: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/won-t-jail-sharing-netflix-130133733.html?ref=gs

Netflix subsequently told Business Insider“As long as they aren’t selling them, members can use their passwords however they please.”

I'm seeing people post on Facebook "It's now a felony to share Netflix passwords!!" Um, no. 

On 6/4/2016 at 6:40 PM, NeedleinA said:

Needle, there are some great ideas here! Thanks for the suggestions :) 

On June 4, 2016 at 2:40 AM, NeedleinA said:

1. Yes. No I don't believe it to be wrong, as I don't believe it wrong to bring your own food to amusement parks. 

2. Yes, family only (that is my line). 

3. Yes, I invite my parents ( ;) ) -- Seriously, No, never done this and if that is the motivation, someone needs to think a little more (EDIT: Unless it is your own parents, best friend, or sibling then use them as much as you want -- what is family for any ways, right?)

4. Yes, if they are the locked-door bathrooms (single user) -- sometimes you just have to go (in your pants) or use the opposite gender bathroom (again, single bathroom). I will use the opposite gender rather than my pants.

5. Yes, especially if I am in the bathroom. Yes, letting a person know I am not available and that I will call back. We do the same thing with "Caller ID" -- don't deny it :)

6. Yes, in my youth not anymore though. 

7. Yes/No, tricky I think. If I arrive 5 minutes before my family (I don't see anything wrong) -- hey I am going to get seats while you guys are in line for snacks, scenario. Arriving an hour before and then saving seats, No, I think that is rude if you are at a no saving seats event. We all know people who rules don't apply to them (I make a special attempt to make sure I am one of them ;) ).

Edited by Anddenex

Yep! I used to work in a theater and never cared if people brought in snacks as long as they were smart about it. Entire Pizzas and beers are another story entirely. 

I use my fiance's Netflix. He doesn't seem to mind. I pay for our hulu account.

Hahaha, no.

I'll do this if there's a single occupancy restroom and no line for the men's. I've also gone into the mens room to look at art that decorated the bathroom...I'm a professional artist so...

Nope, but I'll ignore the heck out of you and not answer.

Even though I cheat the system for most theaters when it comes to snacks, this is something I don't feel comfortable doing. Also, who wants to sit in the dark for that long? Not this girl.

If I'm saving a seat for a BFF or SO.

Yes. Back in my single days I would often go to the cinema on my own. I would buy a huge bunch of grapes from the greengrocer across the road and hide them in my coat on the way into the theatre.

I never have done, and it never occurred to me to do this. (Mostly because my wife deals with all the home entertainment stuff. I can't even operate the TV remote, let alone find my way around Netflix.)

Nope - although I did once have a PhD student who used to borrow a handicap badge from a friend and use it herself. I remember once when she was giving me a lift to the railway station she parked her car and put the disabled badge on. I was uneasy enough about this as it was, but then she sprinted off across the parking lot. I said "For goodness sake Jane*, couldn't you at least put on a limp?"

*Not her actual name.

Yes, but I more often use the disabled. (I'm disgraceful, I know.) Which reminds me of that episode of The IT Crowd where Gary gets found using the disabled toilet and has to pretend to be disabled! (Anyone seen that show? It's VERY VERY funny!)

I may have done this once or twice (much to my everlasting shame). This reminds me of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" where his mother gives him a stern talk about the evils of lying. Later that day she tells him to tell a caller that she is out, and he makes her stand outside on the front doorstep so he won't be lying.

Oddly enough it has never occurred to me to do this - but I suppose you could easily get away with it. (Though as Vort points out it is technically stealing, so I'd say no.)

Now I think about it though, why don't cinemas operate like theme parks? They could charge an entrance fee for the evening, and let you watch whatever movies you can fit in. The way things are at the moment most of the seats are empty anyway. (I have a stepdaughter who works in a movie theatre - I'll have to ask her about it.)

I generally despise people who save seats - unless they are saving one for me...LOL

Edited by Jamie123

Hey, I remember this old thread.  I never really posted anything on this.  Better late than never

On 6/4/2016 at 3:40 AM, NeedleinA said:

Yup.  Red Vines.  Honestly, if they sold Red Vines or Red Ropes instead of Twizzlers (yuck) I'd buy them there.  But since they don't, how can they hold it against me for bringing something that they don't offer?
I don't have Netflix.  So, no comment.
I don't know anyone who has such a tag.  But I'd have no problem doing so as long as they were willing to come along.
If the NEEEED is bad enough, then YES!!!
Nope.  I will always face the music.  But I can totally understand others doing so.
Nope, that is wrong.  I don't do it.
I must not be very fancy.  I've never heard of this.

Edited by Guest