Cost of a mission

TilKingdomCome

I'm a recent Mormon convert. I'm open to the possibility of going on a mission, if I gain a greater understanding and testimony of the Church, as I've found the missionaries very helpful and I'd like to offer the same support to other people. Get more people interested in the church. Unfortunately, I'm 21 and currently unemployed. The cut-off point for going on a mission is age 23, so I'm going to have to save up my money between now and then.

What prices are involved in going on a mission?

1. Travel expenses (eg the plane from area-to-area)

2. Do I pay rent for the place me and my companion stay in

3. How much food do I need? I usually only eat one meal a day, which only costs me 2 euro, and I'll probably be invited to some church member's houses from time to time for dinner, so I'm guessing I won't need much money for food?

4. Do I get to buy some stuff for myself, while on a mission (eg new clothes, books etc)?

5. Do I pay tithing while on a mission?

6. Do I have access to my bank account while on mission or do I need to have all the money gathered beforehand?

7. Are there any fees I have to pay up-front to register as a missionary?

8. Are there any other expenses that I haven't factored in?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost me. I use euros btw.

50 minutes ago, TilKingdomCome said:

2. Do I pay rent for the place me and my companion stay in

3. How much food do I need? I usually only eat one meal a day, which only costs me 2 euro, and I'll probably be invited to some church member's houses from time to time for dinner, so I'm guessing I won't need much money for food?

4. Do I get to buy some stuff for myself, while on a mission (eg new clothes, books etc)?

5. Do I pay tithing while on a mission?

6. Do I have access to my bank account while on mission or do I need to have all the money gathered beforehand?

7. Are there any fees I have to pay up-front to register as a missionary?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost me. I use euros btw.

TilKingdomCome - only a couple of answers...
The cost of a mission currently is $400 a month USD. 
So the cost of 24 month mission is  $9,600.

You or someone else helping you pay for a mission pays your local Ward/Branch that $9,600 either up front or in monthly payments of $400.

Your mission, Houston Texas, USA would collect those funds from your Ward and usually pays your rent directly to the landlord, you are not involved.
You do not pay tithing on your mission. Each month you are given an allowance to spend for items. It all works off a very conservative budget system.
There are not registration fees for being a missionary, but you will need to have some specific items purchased for your personal use first.

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest LiterateParakeet

TilKingdomCome, I agree with NeedleA.  I have one son who recently returned and one who is still out, so I have a bit of experience with this. :) 

1. The church pays your travel expenses to and from the mission.  

2. The rent comes out of the $400 that NeedleA mentioned.  You just pay your $400, then you don't worry about rent during the mission, the church allocates the funds.

3. Each month you will receive an allowance from the mission office (your money funneled back to you basically) to cover food, transportation and things of that nature.  Many missions have members that feed the missionaries a couple times a week as well.

4. It really depends on your mission rules (for the books...some Mission Presidents are very strict and some not so much.)  If you need clothes you can buy them.  My first son had two suits stolen and had to replace them.  My other son needed a sweater so we mailed him one.

5. No, you've already tithed the money you are living on.

6. Yes, you can have access to your bank account.  Both of my sons have...in Argentine and Ghana.

7. No fees to register.  The only "up-front cost" is paying for your wardrobe, luggage etc.  Don't buy your clothes in advance because climates and cultures vary, when you get your call they will tell you what to bring.  For example, my son in Ghana took only shirts, ties and pants.  No suits...none.  And he was allowed to take fisherman sandals (closed toe and closed heel).  If you went to a colder climate the requirements would be different.

8.  Just as I said the clothes, luggage, that sort of thing.  Here in America there's also the passport if you leave the country and that costs about $200 (ouch)!  

If you are struggling to get the money together, talk to your Bishop.  He has different ways he can help.  A mission is a wonderful experience...my husband, two sons and I....have served and we all recommend it.  I won't kid you, it's hard to.  "Hardest work you'll ever love" as the military slogan goes.  It's amazing though.  I recommend it!

A mission is awesome! I highly recommend it.  However, it is very, very difficult.  It is through those difficult times on a mission where a young man/woman can first learn to really rely on the Lord. And I don't mean, a simply prayer (which are good), but honest to goodness knowing that God sustains you, that God works miracles, that it is only through Him and the Lord Jesus Christ that lives are changed and miracles happen.

The process to serving a mission is the following:

1) 1-year after baptism.

2) Must be endowed (i.e. go to the Temple and make additional sacred convents with God).

3) For males, be a Melchizedek Priesthood holder.

4) Be worthy.

5) Have desires to serve God.

6) Fill out paperwork declaring you want to serve a mission.  This is done in coordination with you Bishop/BP and Stake President/Mission President (if not in a Stake), multiple interviews will follow to ensure you are living the life requisite to serve a mission, and to determine mental and physical capability to serve.

7) During that process, leadership will most likely help you set goals as to what would be an appropriate amount of money to earn to put towards your mission.  The cost of what you are required to pay varies geographically. A missionary coming from the US pays a different rate than what a missionary coming from South America would pay. If you cannot pay the full amount, then the local ward and local stakes chip in the rest.  Prior to leaving, you would hand the money you have earned over either in bulk to the ward, or you would have someone who would make the monthly payments for you each month on your behalf to the ward.

8) You are responsible for clothes, scriptures, etc. if you cannot provide those, your ward/branch will work with you to help you get ready.

9) You are not responsible for any transportation cost to/from the mission field, that is included in what you pay to go.

10) Once you are in the field, you will receive a monthly stipend for your living expenses.  This stipend is the same for all missionaries in that particular mission.  Things such as rent, utilities are generally taken care of for you.  The monthly stipend is for food, local transportation costs, etc.  In my experience, if one is fairly frugal they give you more than enough.  You do not pay tithing on these funds.  You could have access to your own bank account on the mission, but generally speaking you really don't need it at all.  Everything is streamlined as much as possible so missionaries don't have to worry about money and can focus more on their job rather than finances.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, yjacket said:

9) You are not responsible for any transportation cost to/from the mission field, that is included in what you pay to go.

Never knew that. So a missionary who has to fly from Utah-Japan, the flight is paid for? 

10 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

If you are struggling to get the money together, talk to your Bishop.  He has different ways he can help. 

Yes, I think this is true. Talk to your bishop about all your questions, and about your financial situation.

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Never knew that. So a missionary who has to fly from Utah-Japan, the flight is paid for? 

Yeap, the Church pays for it.  The first flight is from home to an MTC (Missionary Training Center), there are several around the world now, but most likely that will be in SLC. If you are local to an MTC, then you drive yourself there. When you schedule your entry into the MTC there is some coordination with the MTC to schedule the flight.  IIRC (and it has been a loong time), they will also help get you from the airport in SL to Provo (which is about an hour south).  I had a relative pick me up and we went out to lunch before he dropped me off, so I don't know exactly.  Actually it was kind-of funny, my MTC companion and the rest of my district were a little annoyed b/c I arrived much later than I should have . . .they have arrival times based on your last name.  Oh well . . .

The 2nd flight is from MTC to the field, the Church again pays for that.  The 3rd flight is from the field to home which again the Church pays for.

And let me tell you, the Church can work extremely fast.  I was in the offices when a missionary needed to be sent home. Afternoon he walks into Pres. office with his tag on, walks out with his tag off. He was on a flight home the next morning from a 3rd world country.

Edited by yjacket

7 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

My other son went to the MTC in Ghana. 

That would have been cool.  When I went, pretty much all US misssionaries went to the Provo MTC.  While I was out, they started having missionaries go the the Provo MTC for 3-4 weeks and then to the local MTC (if there was one) for the language immersion part.

Guest MormonGator
50 minutes ago, yjacket said:

Yeap, the Church pays for it.  The first flight is from home to an MTC (Missionary Training Center), there are several around the world now, but most likely that will be in SLC. If you are local to an MTC, then you drive yourself there. When you schedule your entry into the MTC there is some coordination with the MTC to schedule the flight.  IIRC (and it has been a loong time), they will also help get you from the airport in SL to Provo (which is about an hour south).  I had a relative pick me up and we went out to lunch before he dropped me off, so I don't know exactly.  Actually it was kind-of funny, my MTC companion and the rest of my district were a little annoyed b/c I arrived much later than I should have . . .they have arrival times based on your last name.  Oh well . . .

The 2nd flight is from MTC to the field, the Church again pays for that.  The 3rd flight is from the field to home which again the Church pays for.

And let me tell you, the Church can work extremely fast.  I was in the offices when a missionary needed to be sent home. Afternoon he walks into Pres. office with his tag on, walks out with his tag off. He was on a flight home the next morning from a 3rd world country.

So it works sort of like this:

Jane Doe is 18. She lives in New York City (literally pulling cities out of the blue here). Her mission call tells her she is going to Seattle. The church pays for her flight to go to the MTC in Provo then her flight to Seattle. She completes the mission honorably than the church pays for her to fly back home to NYC. 

Something like that? 

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

So it works sort of like this:

Jane Doe is 18. She lives in New York City (literally pulling cities out of the blue here). Her mission call tells her she is going to Seattle. The church pays for her flight to go to the MTC in Provo then her flight to Seattle. She completes the mission honorably than the church pays for her to fly back home to NYC. 

Something like that? 

Yes.

I don't know if @Jane_Doe would like to be 18 again, though. :lol:

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Yes.

I don't know if @Jane_Doe would like to be 18 again, though. :lol:

lol.

That's awesome. It's strange because I've had a ton of missionaries over to our house for pool, sharing the gospel,  dinner, etc (I'm sure we all have) but we usually talk about...well the gospel or their personal lives. Not the logistics of how they went on their mission. It's cool to know though. Being a convert I never went on one. 

I have grilled, or I mean quizzed them all about how they did it.  They usually worked and saved.  One did gardening with a guy who had the contract for the chapel, among other jobs.

One went to Australia from home in Taiwan to work and earn money to do it.  Some, the parents pay it all, seemingly more so with the ladies.  Of course, we only  have male missionaries, or for some reason I never get to see or talk to the female ones, I only know the family where the girls didn't work.

But.  And that's a big but.

I thought there were educational requirements.  You have to successfully complete Seminary or Institute and pass tests.  That must be done, as you might be assigned to a foreign country where you would need an official education certificate to get a religious visa.

I know we just had a big confab on Seminary graduation last night which was for those going on a mission.

Then I believe you pay $400 a month, no matter what.  If your apartment is cheap, you get a cheap apartment.  If your apartment is expensive, you still only pay $400.

Mostly you eat at members houses.  So you better like "home" cooking.  You never know what you might get. 

A lot of the empty nesters or singles like me take them out to eat.  The families, get in line with the other hungry kids.

Now, a fellow was raving about how Mormon women were the best cooks.  They cook all their life and start at an early age and they are the best.

I haven't had much experience with that unfortunately, but certainly the down home restaurants in Utah where I have a lot of experience are all good.

And then, get ready to be abused.  Not everyone is all anxious and bright eyed to hear your gospel.  It can get nasty.

dc

Edited by David13

Guest LiterateParakeet

TilKingdomCome, a couple more things that came to mind--

First, say your mission call requires a Visa for the country you are going to.  In that case the Church sends you a list of everything you need to do, paperwork etc.  You gather it all up and send it to them and they do the rest.  It's like magic, LOL!  Would you believe Ghana was a LOT more complicated than Argentina.  For one of the boys (I can't recall which now) we had to include a copy of his Seminary Graduation certificate as David mentioned, but not for the other.  For one of them we had to get an FBI clearance, and the other a statement that he had no police record (local authorities).  It varies depending on what the country asks for.

In order to go on a mission, you will need to meet with your Bishop and "turn in your papers".  We actually do the paperwork online these days, but it means meeting with your Bishop and Stake President to determine worthiness.  And getting a clearance from your doctor that you are healthy, and any limitations (if you have any....somethings they can work around).  Also you have to have all your dental work current, and your wisdom teeth removed.  My understanding about the wisdom teeth is that at the age that most young men serve a mission is when wisdom teeth can decide to make their appearance, or try to.  They don't want you to have to deal with that during your mission.  

Finally, you will email your family weekly (it's a mission rule, I believe, it was for me).  You an use snail mail if you want.  But phone calls/Skype etc are only allowed on Christmas and Mother's Day.  I believe the thinking behind this is that it helps missionaries focus, and that more frequent calls would not only be a distraction but make them more homesick.  I grew up with these rules, and served a mission myself and I never thought anything of it. That's just the way it is, you know?  Until I became a missionary mom!!!  Now I'm like "who came up with this idea?!"  

Again, it's awesome.  My sons and their friends (some of whom I write to) love it! It's hard, but worth it. 

One minor correction to paying tithing on a mission.  IF you happen to have investments that generate money (eg stock dividends), you need to tithe that.  Technically I guess, if you have money in the bank that is getting interest, you might pay on the interest.  Of course my bank account got less than a dime a year in interest and that was all I had that could earn, so I didn't bother.    

On 6/6/2016 at 4:36 PM, TilKingdomCome said:

You often need to get to the MTC, if you have an MTC close to your locations. Other travel is paid by the Church.  If you have to travel a great distance to the MTC, then there may be some Church intervention.  I'm not sure.

There is a list of clothing and minor supplies you'll be given once you receive your call (letter).  2 suits, dress shirts and other essentials.  All told, you'll be spending less than $1000 (or Euro in your case) for the prep stuff.

I use euros btw.

Ask your bishop about this.  But I'd bet that you'd be paying 400 Euro / mo.

Guest LiterateParakeet

We live in Washington state. I had one son go to the Provo MTC and the other went to the Ghana MTC. The church paid for travel to both. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2016 at 3:18 PM, LiterateParakeet said:

We live in Washington state. I had one son go to the Provo MTC and the other went to the Ghana MTC. The church paid for travel to both. 

Wow.  My parents had 5 missionaries go out.  We had to drive ourselves for all 5 of them from So. Cal. to Provo.

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Wow.  My parents had 5 missionaries go out.  We had to drive ourselves for all 5 of them from So. Cal. to Provo.

You had to, or chose to?  We thought about driving my son to Provo, but with the new rules about saying good-bye at the curb, we decided not to.  I'd rather say good bye at the airport than at the curb.  It's possible the policy has changed over the years.  I remember when I went on my mission (eons ago) my friend drove me to the MTC from Arizona.