Faith promoting stories: having children but money is tight

macaroon

I often hear "the Lord will provide" whenever people talk about starting a family when finances are tough.  I've seen families struggling to support themselves which can be quite scary but I would like to hear specific stories of how you've seen the Lord's hand when you decided to welcome children into this world but weren't in a favorable financial situation.

My old neighbor was able to find not only a better paying job but something that he actually would rather be doing around the same time his wife gave birth.  

I also know some people that found better employement and also started a business around the same time they had children. These people had already good careers and weren't struggling by any means but it was interesting to see that they were able to move forward even more once they had children.  

Guest LiterateParakeet

I was working when I was pregnant with my first. I planned to quit after the baby was born, but we needed this job for the insurance to pay for the baby. When I was about 7 months pregnant I got fired. (It was a misunderstanding, but I also was not a good fit for the job....the Holy Ghost had warned me not to take it, but I was afraid of being unemployed.)  

When the job ended so did the insurance. We were scared to death. What could we do. Even if hubby changed jobs to one that offered insurance would they cover this "pre-existing condition"?

He did get a different job, it did offer medical that covered the pregnancy. Not only did it cover the pregnancy, but the co-pay was $25 vs $400 that we would have paid with the previous insurance.

This is not to say things have always been easy, but I have no regrets about welcoming five children into our home. Of all my accomplishments, my children are the best.

Edited by LiterateParakeet
Correcting autocorrect

Have you read this article from the current issue of the Ensign magazine yet? It's great!

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/06/young-adults/starting-our-marriage-with-nothing-but-faith?lang=eng

I'm sure there are many of us who can think of little miracles like this that happened as we went forward and started a family with very little resource. I know i can, and i know my parents can. There are always wonderful little tender mercies that the Lord sends as you strive to trust Him and do His will.

Thus is sorta the same thing.  My parents started a family out if faith and struggled for years.  Pretty much all of our growing up years however they always made ends meet. Barely but always. 

Infact, while my parents were driving my oldest brother to the MTC we received a phone call at home from my dads work.  A few days later when he gor home he called them back and they offered him a promotion that was just enough to pay for my brothers mission.  

Yes, the Lord provides. All 5bif us went on missions sone iverlaping eachother and my parents supported all of us.    

I have been wondering about this. My local temple really needs more hours from it volunteers. I normally work 6 days a week so working weekly is hard for me. I wonder if G-d would help me in my work if I were to step up to thr plate and offer to work in the temple on a weekly rather than monthly basis?

The loaves and the fishes is not just a folk tale.  It is a true miracle that happens all the time.

A relative tells of a period of poverty where she had done everything she could to reduce her bills.  She cut out all non-essentials.  She chose cheaper versions of all foods and supplies.  Sometimes, they did without.  After she did EVERYthing she could think of, there still wasn't enough to pay the bills.  She didn't know what else to do.

She prayed for a miracle and simply wrote the checks to pay the bills because she felt like she had to.  There wasn't enough money in the bank to cover the checks.  But they didn't bounce.  They never did.  At the end of the year, she balanced the books and found that they had spent much more than they had taken in.

I caution people not to depend on this type of miracle happening (thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God).  But she was really at the end of her rope and had no other options.  For this, the Lord blessed her efforts.  Her entire household is blessed time and time again with miracles to balance out the many trials they've had in their lives.

Edited by Guest

On 6/9/2016 at 2:50 AM, macaroon said:

I often hear "the Lord will provide" whenever people talk about starting a family when finances are tough.  I've seen families struggling to support themselves which can be quite scary but I would like to hear specific stories of how you've seen the Lord's hand when you decided to welcome children into this world but weren't in a favorable financial situation.

My old neighbor was able to find not only a better paying job but something that he actually would rather be doing around the same time his wife gave birth.  

I also know some people that found better employement and also started a business around the same time they had children. These people had already good careers and weren't struggling by any means but it was interesting to see that they were able to move forward even more once they had children.  

Are you looking for a reason to have kids while not being financially prepared? People have shared great stories, and links to others as well, please keep in mind that you only about the positive side of these stories, and you only hear about the ones that had good outcomes. The exception not the rule.

If you are thinking about having kids and you are not financially prepared I would recommend that you put those thoughts aside. 

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The loaves and the fishes is not just a folk tale.  It is a true miracle that happens all the time.

A relative tells of a period of poverty where she had done everything she could to reduce her bills.  She cut out all non-essentials.  She chose cheaper versions of all foods and supplies.  Sometimes, they did without.  After she did EVERYthing she could think of, there still wasn't enough to pay the bills.  She didn't know what else to do.

She prayed for a miracle and simply wrote the checks to pay the bills because she felt like she had to.  There wasn't enough money in the bank to cover the checks.  But they didn't bounce.  They never did.  At the end of the year, she balanced the books and found that they had spent much more than they had taken in.

I caution people not to depend on this type of miracle happening (thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God).  But she was really at the end of her rope and had no other options.  For this, the Lord blessed her efforts.  Her entire household is blessed time and time again with miracles to balance out the many trials they've had in their lives.

This is a folk tale, if not please provide a source or at let me know which bank it is. I can over spend also.

The thing about being financially prepared is that people - especially Americans - tend to think they need XYZ to have a baby.  For example... I need to have a jogger stroller, I need to have TV and DVDs and cute baby blankets and frilly dresses and bottle warmers and formula with DHA and ARA, gerber baby food and lots of money for private school, a Chevy Suburban, and a 3,000 sq foot house.  Oh, and season's passes to Disneyworld.  This is where you are going to have a problem.

I can go to the park with a baby in a onesie without socks or hat on one hip, a spare diaper in one backpocket, wipes in the other backpocket, and a burpee over one shoulder.  Nothing fancy.  I got his food in my breasts and nature for a playground.

Children don't have to cost much.  But like anything else, the less money you have, the more effort you need to put towards doing things the old-fashioned way... yes, you can live with having 10 kids and no washer and dryer.  I'd say 95% of Filipinos don't own a washer and dryer.   And they're doing just fine.

5 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

This is a folk tale, if not please provide a source or at let me know which bank it is. I can over spend also.

Omega, I'll grant that you're getting this (my testimony) third hand, so I don't blame you for disbelieving it.  But I find it odd that you've continually shown a complete inability to believe that miracles actually happen.  Just what is it that you believe the Church is?  What do you believe the Priesthood is?  What do you believe prayer is?  It's almost like you have an LDS version of Deism.

If you're telling others that my last post is a "folk tale" then fine.  That's your take.  If you're trying to tell me that, I'll prefer the information I was given from the first hand source.  Thank you.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Are you looking for a reason to have kids while not being financially prepared? People have shared great stories, and links to others as well, please keep in mind that you only about the positive side of these stories, and you only hear about the ones that had good outcomes. The exception not the rule.

If you are thinking about having kids and you are not financially prepared I would recommend that you put those thoughts aside. 

While I don't disagree with you, having personally seen a relative have kid after kid after kid with no real way of supporting them, I do have to wonder how you're defining "financially prepared". 

I recall a girl on this forum a few years' back who was furious with her parents for not having waited to have her on the chance they might have been wealthier and thus able to provide her with a more entertaining life.

That said, looking to have kids without a real plan on providing for them isn't the best idea. Search, ponder and pray on this one. As anatess2* has said you really don't need a heck of a lot to raise kids. There were some interesting comments and thoughts on this article today. If a kid is coming planned or not, you may have to rely more than you want on faith and ingenuity. If you're planning on taking full welfare benefits and mooch off family to provide for hypothetical children, that's a bad plan.

In response to the OP, I really don't have any particularly inspiring story. We were renting an apartment while my husband finished his degree when our baby was born. After that, he was on active military duty for the summer so I moved in with my parents. When my husband returned we were job-hunting and my grandmother had a basement apartment every other grandchild has lived in at one point or another, so we moved in there (Grandma liked the company, taking/returning the great-grandbaby at her whim, and the available help). Job-hunting was not going as planned, Husband was doing a few jobs here and there, I was being the stay-at-home-mom. We were doing okay. But I think we were ready to move forward in adulting and I felt prompted to look into providing some income. Now, I had left teaching some years before and had always rather missed it. I put in for some sub lists and actually hoped to look for a part-time teaching job, but wasn't expecting anything. I was quickly hired full-time at a school. Crazier than we wanted, but in many ways a blessing. I was suddenly no longer a stay-at-home mom. Husband took a job he loves in the security field, though not what he graduated in. Our baby was provided for. No, it certainly wasn't a blatant blessing, but I think it was where we were supposed to go. Oddly enough now two years later, our thoughts are drifting toward having me stay home (but I really don't want to sell stuff, I really don't.) So we shall see where that goes.

As a longtime member who has served in a bishopric I can absolutely say that the greatest amount of problems I've seen come from those who have not sufficiently prepared their lives for children. Lack of education, under employment which goes hand in glove with that, leads to a lack of resources and creates many problems for bishops around the world. 

I'm not saying one cannot make it trusting in the Lord, but the Lord helps those who help themselves.  Most of the examples above are the exceptions.

and exceptions don't prove the rule. 

Edited by mrmarklin
Finish thought

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, mrmarklin said:

As a longtime member who has served in a bishopric I can absolutely say that the greatest amount of problems I've seen come from those who have not sufficiently prepared their lives for children. Lack of education, under employment which goes hand in glove with that, leads to a lack of resources and creates many problems for bishops around the world. 

I'm not saying one cannot make it trusting in the Lord, but the Lord helps those who help themselves.  Most of the examples above are the exceptions.

and exceptions don't prove the rule. 

I have to disagree with this. I remember church leaders in the past specifically counseling young people not to put off having a family until they finish school.

I don't think the stories above tell exception, but example of blessings received from obeying the Lord's counsel. I don't mean that living the gospel will protect us from all of life's hard knocks, just that when we sacrifice to keep His counsel He's not going to drop us on the floor.

7 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

...until they finish school.

I think this is the key.  People who are working to complete schooling so that they can obtain gainful employment and then pursue a career which will provide for their family are completely different from people who have no education, aren't getting an education, and think some form of magic will transition their unskilled-labor job into something that will provide for children.

If you're making the effort and have a plan, then do as the Lord commands and he will bless your efforts.  If there are no efforts to bless, well, you might be disappointed...

On 6/17/2016 at 2:52 PM, Carborendum said:

Omega, I'll grant that you're getting this (my testimony) third hand, so I don't blame you for disbelieving it.  But I find it odd that you've continually shown a complete inability to believe that miracles actually happen.  Just what is it that you believe the Church is?  What do you believe the Priesthood is?  What do you believe prayer is?  It's almost like you have an LDS version of Deism.

If you're telling others that my last post is a "folk tale" then fine.  That's your take.  If you're trying to tell me that, I'll prefer the information I was given from the first hand source.  Thank you.

Define miracle.  I think that miracles happen but they happen as a result of preparedness, hard work , diligence, sacrifice and faith. I believe in prayer and that God hears all of our prayers, but I don't think that he is going to help us find our car keys.  In my world I believe that we make our own way and God fills in the gaps after we have exerted maximum effort. 

On 6/19/2016 at 11:42 PM, LiterateParakeet said:

I have to disagree with this. I remember church leaders in the past specifically counseling young people not to put off having a family until they finish school.

I don't think the stories above tell exception, but example of blessings received from obeying the Lord's counsel. I don't mean that living the gospel will protect us from all of life's hard knocks, just that when we sacrifice to keep His counsel He's not going to drop us on the floor.

Mr Marklin didn't say to put off a family until you are done with school. 

I think that most should. At a minimum hold off having kids until you have a "real" job.

19 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Define miracle.  I think that miracles happen but they happen as a result of preparedness, hard work , diligence, sacrifice and faith. I believe in prayer and that God hears all of our prayers, but I don't think that he is going to help us find our car keys.  In my world I believe that we make our own way and God fills in the gaps after we have exerted maximum effort. 

We both define miracle the same way.  We also both define Miracle the same way.  But I just don't get the impression that you believe Miracles happen anymore.

I agree that miracles only happen after all we can do.  But I also believe that sometimes when the need is great enough, the trial hard enough, and the faith is sufficient, Miracles can happen after we've done all we can do.

BTW, you were the catalyst for my posting this thread

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

We both define miracle the same way.  We also both define Miracle the same way.  But I just don't get the impression that you believe Miracles happen anymore.

I agree that miracles only happen after all we can do.  But I also believe that sometimes when the need is great enough, the trial hard enough, and the faith is sufficient, Miracles can happen after we've done all we can do.

I agree, but banks don't let you over draw your account, and creditors don't forgive debts. It is just the way of the world. So when I hear a story about some poor lady who wrote checks that she knew she didn't have money to cover I think 3 things. 1. that's illegal, 2. She obviously can't count, and 3. The whole thing is made up and gives false hope to believers. 

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Please, please, please... don't write checks you have no money in the bank for.  That's fraud.  You can go to jail.

It's called writing bad checks and yes, people really do go to jail for that if it's proven you knew at the time there was no money in the account. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the technicalities but I do know it is a horrible idea. 

Edited by MormonGator