We're all gonna die!

LeSellers

• 3 months later...

I think we should go back to basics...  we're all gonna die!  Which, of course, is true.

I will chime in with my opinion, for I am no scientist, I have a hard time believing that big business/politics/mainstream media is very trustworthy.  Call me paranoid but I just don't quite believe them.  I also don't like studies because I feel that data can be manipulated.  I do know that my Uncle and cousins have run 2 farms and a ranch without GMO crud and without pesticides.  They have for years.  They are not "certified organic" farmers, but all they do would be considered organic.  I also know that my bee population has depleted over the years and I've lost several hives.  I have my ideas on why but I just can't believe that GMO's are a good thing.  Science can be good, but remember who comes up with science, man.  Man can mess up anything!  So, for those of you who are "scienced up" just wait a few years, man will "change" science again and again.

But back to the real controversy...we're all gonna die!

4 hours ago, Burn said:

But back to the real controversy...we're all gonna die!

11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

So, that's controversial to you, is it? ;)

Yeah, here I was thinking that was the good news.  (Images of Death Becomes Her are flashing through my head.)

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

So, that's controversial to you, is it? ;)

I grew up (seriously) thinking that I would never die because the second coming was right around the corner.  Now that I am in my mid 30s, I am having to come to terms that there is a fair chance that i might actually have to get old and die before the second coming happens... not sure how I feel about that...

Edited by DoctorLemon

20 hours ago, Burn said:

I am no scientist
I also don't like studies because I feel that data can be manipulated. 
I do know [anecdotes]
Science can be good, but remember who comes up with science, man.  Man can mess up anything!  So, for those of you who are "scienced up" just wait a few years, man will "change" science again and again.

Hi Burn, Yep - going anti-science is about the only way someone can hold opinions like yours.  You have to ignore a whole lot of good science to still believe GMO bad, organic and "natural" better.  

Be as anti-big-business as you want, but no really, the science is pretty consistently clear.  And yes, it is possible to learn how to know 'good science' from 'bad science'.  

TrollGMOScientificEvidence.jpg

In my always humble opinion, once I manage to eat a balanced diet, under 2800 calories per day (I'm 6' 4"), and to exercise so that my heart runs at a cardio-optimized 140 bpm for 30 minutes, 5X per week, THEN, maybe, I'll weigh the evidence about eliminating GMOs from my diet. When it comes to health and nutrition Americans know more and do less (with me being one of the most guilty) than just about any society in human history. 

22 hours ago, Burn said:

I do know that my Uncle and cousins have run 2 farms and a ranch without GMO crud and without pesticides.  They have for years.  They are not "certified organic" farmers, but all they do would be considered organic.

Are you sure about that?  Do you do any reading on what is considered "organic" these days?  It has nothing to do with the "natural" method of farming.  It has everything to do with paperwork and payment of fees.

You can be perfectly organic (i.e. use methods that have been around for 100 years) and still not be considered organic even if you filled out all the paperwork and paid the fees.

You can also use many chemicals and methods that have only recently been invented and become "certified organic" because you filled out different forms and paid different fees.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 8:46 AM, prisonchaplain said:

(I'm 6' 4")

I used to be 6'4". Now at 53, I'm more like 6'2". At some point in my very early 60s, I expect my age and my height to cross paths. Sadly, with my weight as it is, my age and my weight (in kg) are likely never to meet.

• 10 months later...
On 11/30/2016 at 10:53 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Hi Burn, Yep - going anti-science is about the only way someone can hold opinions like yours.  You have to ignore a whole lot of good science to still believe GMO bad, organic and "natural" better.  

Be as anti-big-business as you want, but no really, the science is pretty consistently clear.  And yes, it is possible to learn how to know 'good science' from 'bad science'.  

TrollGMOScientificEvidence.jpg

Ooooh.  Just saw this.  I thought scientific proof = 95% of scientists agree... :P

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

so this scripture comes to mind.  "Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned  you, and forewarn you, by giving  unto you this word of wisdom by revelation.  D&C 89:4"  I only share this, because like anything else, we do not know the true hearts of man.  regardless of science or any other article relating on way or another. I do not know one way or the other what is killing off the honey bees or any other insect for that matter.  but with verses like this from the word of wisdom, it makes me think not want to trust any man from any cooperation that is in food manufacturing or anything else.  so what ever it is killing off the bees, this one thing I think we can all agree on, something is killing them and with that comes danger to the human race.  

15 hours ago, John6572 said:

so this scripture comes to mind.  "Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned  you, and forewarn you, by giving  unto you this word of wisdom by revelation.  D&C 89:4"  I only share this, because like anything else, we do not know the true hearts of man.  regardless of science or any other article relating on way or another. I do not know one way or the other what is killing off the honey bees or any other insect for that matter.  but with verses like this from the word of wisdom, it makes me think not want to trust any man from any cooperation that is in food manufacturing or anything else.  so what ever it is killing off the bees, this one thing I think we can all agree on, something is killing them and with that comes danger to the human race.  

It's true. It's hard to know what sources are trustworthy. There is so much deception in the world.

With that said, if it can be trusted, this recent study suggests there is indeed a link between glyphosate and bee die-off. I've only read the abstract and can't speak to the quality of scientific evaluation drawing these conclusions.

http://www.pnas.org/content/115/41/10305

Of course, on the other side it seems the argument has shifted to the honey bees being overpopulated and now endangering other pollinators. If this means they crowd out wasps and hornets, I'd admittedly prefer the bees... especially since I've been dealing with more and more wasps every year.