Freefoodstorage.com- Anyone Heard Of It?

jillybeangirly

Jilly Bean,

When you read it is not at all "Free". You sign up for their plan and pay $99.00 a month for your shipment of food storage and after 12 months of shipments you have a one year's supply for one person. If you refer 5 people to the site in a single month and they sign up for the plan, you get that month of food free. Or atleast that is the way I understand it.

I assume you also have to pay shipping, could not find if it was included or not.

So I just talked to customer service and decided to sign up! It is actually a really cool deal. As soon as I have five of my friends signed up then I get my food storage free each month, unless somebody drops out and then i have to get another person. So it isn't just one month of food storage free but the whole year as long as my friends do it too. I will let you guys know how it goes. Anyone else here done this program with them?

Smart Storage Foods appears to be a home based business. And as BenRaines said it is a pyramid program. You should also know that in pyramid programs there are % bases that you will be charged.

You can check any U.S. business for a tax i.d. number that will tell you if they are a legitimate business and you can also get import status records for a foreign business. Both of these sources can provide references as to their credibility.

Any time that you have an automated withdraw from your bank/savings account, it is a good idea to open a bank account with a different bank from your personal finances. Deposit money into that account for your purchases and if it turns out to be a scam, they will not have access to your life savings and your future earnings.

Why is it that these pyramid schemes are very popular amongst the LDS? I've only ever been introduced to pyramid schemes by members of my ward, most common in the Singles Ward of all places.

Anyhow, I haven't looked at the site, and I don't plan on it. We've had to cut into our food storage, and aren't able to replace it just yet. Here's my take on food storage

Store what you eat. Starvation may drive you to eat foods you don't like, but if you are starving, then you won't be strong enough to do the hard work required by the doomsayers, you know, the ones that say we need our food storage to survive natural disaster, not job loss, theft, fraud, other crippling financial situations...

I believe that for the really bad things, you need a portable 3 day supply, enough to get you out of the area, and enough to get you back in, maybe a week worth of portable storage. If you're staying put (what the year is for) then 3 months is all you'll need. If you aren't in a survival pattern by the end of 3 months, you'll be dead. The year, will allow you to help 3 other families to survive for that same 3 months. Or you can hoard, and shoot anyone who tries to take your dehydrated beans and 50 pound tub of peanut butter.

We spent a month on food storage about 2 years ago, when we were just starting to store food. What we found would be quite typical for most LDS. We either didn't like what we were storing, or we didn't know HOW to use what was stored. I am concerned that many of us will be in the same situation, not knowing what to do with what we are storing, when the time to use it comes.

By far the best way to do food storage, is to buy a little extra of everything you use, until you can get a rotating storage, so you are constantly using your year's worth of storage, but are constantly replacing what is used. Just use the oldest stuff first.

-Gabelpa

So I just talked to customer service and decided to sign up! It is actually a really cool deal. As soon as I have five of my friends signed up then I get my food storage free each month, unless somebody drops out and then i have to get another person. So it isn't just one month of food storage free but the whole year as long as my friends do it too. I will let you guys know how it goes. Anyone else here done this program with them?

Sure hope that the system doesn't work in the way that...if one of your friends drop out, you get charged for each month you have received a "free" shipment of food. I have heard of that happening.

In the ward I was in as a child one family volunteered to live on their food storage for, I believe, a month. The thing that I'll never forget is the mother saying what really drove her crazy was not having enough lotion for the entire month. (It might have just been two weeks.)

I don't have any food storage, but, and I'm serious, I have a year's supply of lotion, because I've never forgotten that.

Elphaba

In the ward I was in as a child one family volunteered to live on their food storage for, I believe, a month. The thing that I'll never forget is the mother saying what really drove her crazy was not having enough lotion for the entire month. (It might have just been two weeks.)

I don't have any food storage, but, and I'm serious, I have a year's supply of lotion, because I've never forgotten that.

Elphaba

Now I know who I can borrow some from.

<div class='quotemain'>

Elphaba

You can have the stinky rose stuff my SIL gets me every year. :P

Elphie

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Elphaba

You can have the stinky rose stuff my SIL gets me every year. :P

Elphie

Uhhhh.....ummmm....hmmmmm.... that is really sweet but ummm...uhhhh.....hmmmmm NO THANKS

I was just recently telling someone that the bartering system would quickly develop in a crisis where food storage would be essential.

After reading about the lotion, I can see where we are already on the same page.

My older child was really into buying school supplies every year. He has since graduated. We have used his leftover school supplies for two years now and we still have plenty.

My other child filled a large bag for me with pens, pencils, markers ...etc so that I wouldn't have to search for them. I noticed that he had a large assortment of pens and pencils in his bookbag and he said that we probably have a ten year supply. Then there are binders and bookbags.

How many pens would I have to give up to get a bottle of lotion?

I was just recently telling someone that the bartering system would quickly develop in a crisis where food storage would be essential.

After reading about the lotion, I can see where we are already on the same page.

My older child was really into buying school supplies every year. He has since graduated. We have used his leftover school supplies for two years now and we still have plenty.

My other child filled a large bag for me with pens, pencils, markers ...etc so that I wouldn't have to search for them. I noticed that he had a large assortment of pens and pencils in his bookbag and he said that we probably have a ten year supply. Then there are binders and bookbags.

None if you don't mind if it's thin and sicky rose smelling. :P

Elphaba

<div class='quotemain'>

None if you don't mind if it's thin and sicky rose smelling. :P

Elphaba

Put me down for two bottles. I know someone who has a lot of foot powder in their food storage and I might be able to swap for some.

• 1 month later...

Probably a similar business. Google picks up on the words in the thread and puts up banners that relate.

Back to the topic...have you seen the food that you will get? Will actually even use this stuff? I'm not going to eat 13 pounds of cream of wheat. Even if you were going to use all this, don't you think a better option would be to put $100 a month in a safe investment, and then at the end of the year, go to a supermarket case-lot sale or Costco and buy all this stuff yourself? $1200 is way too much money for what you're getting, in my opinion. Nothing is free. The company is probably getting the food at a great discount, since they are buying so much of it, yet they have to add in their overhead, shipping costs, manpower, etc. Why pay for something that you could easily do yourself?

I do like that they will give you credit for food that has expired, if you donate it to charity, although they also say the shelf life is 10-40 years.

In my opinion, the best way to do it is stock up on food when it goes on sale, and only buy food that you use and are accustomed to cooking with and will actually use. Get a can rotator, or setup a method of rotating through the food yourself. Have your 72 hour kits ready for every member of your family, as those are the ones that are important in case of a real disaster. But the food storage I think is important to have in times of financial struggles. I knew of a family whose dad/mom were out of real work for over a year, but they managed to stay afloat and keep their house, because they could live off their food storage. That to me is pretty impressive.

Very wise Counsel Heather and very realistic. That is the counsel that i have heard the most often of late and it makes since. 500 lb. of wheat will not do us any good in our storage if we do not have the tools to process and if we do not know how to cook it and use it. Trying to leaf through a wheat cookbook when you are tired and hungry and have never used it would be tremendous stress on top of what is already a trying time, if you are in a disaster situation, or even out of work, and don't know where the next penny is coming from.

Also, wheat is a grain that our bodies have to get use too. We cannot just go on a diet of wheat when our bodies are not accustomed to it. We have to prepare for these times as we go, and not wait until it happens. Whatever is in our storage should be things we use every day and use too.

i generally believe in the "store what you eat system". therefore, we have t freezers we stock up meat in. we usually buy half a cow at a time. last may we did that. no roasts, had all of it cut into steak or hamburger,and 2 briskets.

sadly, a recent storm caused a power surge, tripping a breaker for the other freezer. sisnt find out untill freezer was completely defrosted. lost 15 roasts(from prior cow) a 20 lb turkey, a full ham,several trays of chicken, 10 lbs of boneless chicken breasts, and more. plus fried a router, a vcr, and a cordless phone.

then today, i moved our refer and as i unplugged it, discovered cord was completelty fried, dont know how it was even supplying power. lucky i wasnt electrocuted. cord broke into seveal pieces while i was looking at it.

not sure what we will lose from this, but hey, at least our house didnt burn down :wacko:

It was scary just to read your post. I am glad that you are okay. That must have been some storm that your family rode out.

We have figured out that there is no fail proof food storage plan.

I remember posting on a water storage thread about storing foods that we normally eat. And I do agree that it is easier and simpler to store canned soup than trying to store all the ingredients to make it.

My refrigerator stopped working during the summer. Luckily I was down loading it because I was going on vacation. I lost about $20 (sandwich bread, luncheon meat, mustard & ketchup). I figured the bottled water was okay.