Referring to our Pre-mortal Life

rpframe

I know that most of us grew up indoctrinated with the term "pre-existence".. but it is really a terribly confusing abbreviation of pre-earthly-existence..

Like.. just think about the phrase for a second... "What do you mean by.. before I existed?". Anyway.. I feel like its just poor word choice that I chose a long time ago to remove from my vocabulary. And while I'd love to have it eradicated from existence... know that I can't and/or shouldn't try to convince others to do the same. So.. just mostly planting a seed of thought for people that have never thought about it that way.

Other options include:

Pre-mortal life

Pre-earth life

I don't know if any general authority ever said anything about it.. but.. at worst its just a personal prerogative of mine that I hold alongside things like trying to use the phrase "Moral Agency" rather than "Free Agency" (courtesy of Elder Christopherson).

Mostly I just find it helpful when talking to friends of other faiths. And while I know most of us know what we mean by "pre-existence"... never know who's watching on the intarwebz :P

And I also know that its not just a Mormon thing.. (heck.. there's even a wikipedia article for pre-existence)... But.. it just rubs me the wrong way.. similarly to things like "I could care less".

Anyone else feel this way? Or just me?

6 minutes ago, rpframe said:

"pre-existence"

I had not thought about this term before like this, however, I have heard plenty of discussion about the free agency bit. Many folks getting upset that "it wasn't free you know!" yikes. 

My little ears tend to notice priesthood blessing that are done by the "power" of the priesthood vs. the "authority" of the priesthood. Funny how we all kind of pick up on different things.

5 hours ago, rpframe said:

I know that most of us grew up indoctrinated with the term "pre-existence".. but it is really a terribly confusing abbreviation of pre-earthly-existence..

Like.. just think about the phrase for a second... "What do you mean by.. before I existed?". Anyway.. I feel like its just poor word choice that I chose a long time ago to remove from my vocabulary. And while I'd love to have it eradicated from existence... know that I can't and/or shouldn't try to convince others to do the same. So.. just mostly planting a seed of thought for people that have never thought about it that way.

Other options include:

Pre-mortal life

Pre-earth life

I don't know if any general authority ever said anything about it.. but.. at worst its just a personal prerogative of mine that I hold alongside things like trying to use the phrase "Moral Agency" rather than "Free Agency" (courtesy of Elder Christopherson).

Mostly I just find it helpful when talking to friends of other faiths. And while I know most of us know what we mean by "pre-existence"... never know who's watching on the intarwebz :P

And I also know that its not just a Mormon thing.. (heck.. there's even a wikipedia article for pre-existence)... But.. it just rubs me the wrong way.. similarly to things like "I could care less".

Well ya darnit... You tryin ta teach us rednecks proper english?? :P

Outside lds circles in general christiandom i doubt theyll take a shining to either term...

7 hours ago, rpframe said:

I know that most of us grew up indoctrinated with the term "pre-existence".. but it is really a terribly confusing abbreviation of pre-earthly-existence..."What do you mean by.. before I existed?".

I prefer "pre-mortal life/existence."

As pertaining to "moral agency", moral agency is the correct terminology of the agency God has given us. The term, unless I have misunderstood, "moral agency" is not given to us by Elder Christopherson. This terminology is given to us by the Lord through Joseph Smith (back in 1833) as given here, (Doctrine and Covenants 1010: 78) "That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgement" (emphasis added).

When we use the phrase "moral agency" it shows we have a better understanding of the agency and accountability we have before God. Other articles which used the term long before Elder Christopherson's talk 'Moral Agency."

1) Our Moral Agency -- https://www.lds.org/ensign/1996/03/our-moral-agency?lang=eng

2) Teaching of President John Taylor -- "Man has a moral agency; acting under the Lord, and is, consequently, responsible to hime for his acts, as a moral agent."

3) Address at CES 1997 -- To invite with "Will you?" evokes a yes or no answer, which is an exercise of a person's moral agency.

4) James E. Faust -- "Honesty is a principle, and we have our moral agency to determine how we will apply this principle."

5) Before Elder Christopherson was an Apostle Elder Bednar would refer to our agency as it is specified in scripture, "moral agency."

6) Elder Packer, “We are free to obey or to ignore the spirit and the letter of the law. But the agency granted to man is a moral agency (see D&C 101:78). We are not free to break our covenants and escape the consequences” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1990, 108; or Ensign, Nov. 1990, 84).

I believe there is irony in posting the proper use of doctrine for one statement "pre-mortal existence" while having a personal dislike toward another proper use of doctrine "moral agency."

Oops... fixed the title haha.

On 6/25/2016 at 0:55 AM, Anddenex said:

The term, unless I have misunderstood, "moral agency" is not given to us by Elder Christopherson.

Never said he was the first one to use it. He was just the first one that spelled it out for me:
"When we use the term moral agency, we are appropriately emphasizing the accountability that is an essential part of the divine gift of agency. "

On 6/24/2016 at 5:11 PM, rpframe said:

Other options include:

Pre-mortal life

Pre-earth life

I want to discuss the "I could care less" thing.