Web designers?

dahlia

I think we have some web people here. If that's you, I have a question:

I notice that a lot of the text on websites is in gray, rather than black, or at least it seems that way to me. I have had to install a high contrast tool so that I can darken the page/print and read the page. 

Is this just my old eyes or has there been a movement to gray text for some reason?  I took website design back in the late 90's and have some idea about contrast, eye strain, etc. More recently, I did some searching on website accessibility for seniors for an issue at work. What is up with this light colored font? It's aggravating as heck.

My web design hubby said it's purely an aesthetic choice. He does wonder if something is going on with your computer and suggests posting examples (screen shots I guess) to see if everyone else is seeing what you see. 

24 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Most web designers have no idea what they're doing. ;)

The biggest problem is probably when you get back-end designers who can't or won't spring for a front-end designer but really don't have the eye or skill to do it themselves.

I am speaking in terms of individuals using WordPress -- It really depends on the theme being used, and people will tend now to user more weight for titles while using a lighter weight, no bold, for the sub-title or something directly below it.

It is styling, personal to the theme (using default layout and styling) or the designer personally likes the lighter weight. I am seeing this trend also with a lot of WordPress websites and it is usually dependent on the color scheme.

Edited by Anddenex

Here's a trick I use. Press CTRL-A.  This selects ALL the text in the document.  Assuming the text isn't an image pretending to be test, you should get a nice high contrast font color change.  Oh and CTRL + and Ctrl - will zoom in and out.  And CTRL 0 will set the zoom back to zero.  Very handy for web sites that aren't designed for old eyes.

23 hours ago, dahlia said:

I think we have some web people here. If that's you, I have a question:

I notice that a lot of the text on websites is in gray, rather than black, or at least it seems that way to me. I have had to install a high contrast tool so that I can darken the page/print and read the page. 

Is this just my old eyes or has there been a movement to gray text for some reason?  I took website design back in the late 90's and have some idea about contrast, eye strain, etc. More recently, I did some searching on website accessibility for seniors for an issue at work. What is up with this light colored font? It's aggravating as heck.

Is the greyed text links? Normally colors are dictated by the web designer, but sometimes you can have issues between you browser settings, computer, and OS.

Most greys for me tend to be dark enough to contrast easily from pure white in my experience, altho more amteurish sites tend to either be too gariish or not enough contrast.

Illusion wise if the lines are thin enough and set in the right way the can appear lighter than they are.

On 6/27/2016 at 11:32 PM, dahlia said:

I have the problem with every computer. It's not the computer, it's the sites and the font color used. 

This site is typical, but many are much lighter.  diet doctor    blogs are the worst:  oh she glows

Did you just trick me into clicking on vegetarian sites?!

That's the food my food eats. Please don't starve my food. Now I have to restore balance to the force by posting a picture of what cucumbers are supposed to look like.

2012-7-9+024.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well, I found out what my problem was - cataracts!  I had one eye done the other week and the other eye will be tomorrow. I went from 20/400+ in that eye to 20/25!!!!!  I haven't had a score that low since I was a kid. A little kid.

What a difference the surgery has made - the screen's not blurry, I've been able to take off the high contrast tool from most sites I visit, and don't have to jack the font up to 25. :D  Wow!

And Mordorbund, here's some vegetarian pasta for you, since I know you like veg food so much - http://www.food.com/recipe/tuscan-vegetarian-pasta-392763  :P

On 3/31/2017 at 7:01 PM, SilentOne said:

@dahlia Have you made that recipe? It looks promising and I've added it to my meatless main courses bookmark folder for the time being.

No. It looks good, but as a diabetic, I don't eat much pasta anymore. Strangely, potatoes don't bother my blood sugar as much as refined carbs, so I might put all those veg on a potato, or just eat them on the side.

On 3/29/2017 at 8:27 PM, dahlia said:

Well, I found out what my problem was - cataracts!  I had one eye done the other week and the other eye will be tomorrow. I went from 20/400+ in that eye to 20/25!!!!!  I haven't had a score that low since I was a kid. A little kid.

What a difference the surgery has made - the screen's not blurry, I've been able to take off the high contrast tool from most sites I visit, and don't have to jack the font up to 25. :D  Wow!

And Mordorbund, here's some vegetarian pasta for you, since I know you like veg food so much - http://www.food.com/recipe/tuscan-vegetarian-pasta-392763  :P

Wonderful news! You are fortunate to have caught the cataracts soon before they got too bad. I waited on surgery for both eyes until I couldn't see, and by then the doctors had to guess which lens shape/focal lengths to use, and I had to go with fixed lenses. Consequently, I still need to zoom in a bit on most web pages.

The surgery made me a big believer in the miracles of modern science, but even more so in the God-given miracle of the human eye, particularly in coordination with the brain.  I realized how much I took for granted over the years after going through the somewhat arduous processes of learning again how to correctly see.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

On 4/2/2017 at 10:47 PM, wenglund said:

Wonderful news! You are fortunate to have caught the cataracts soon before they got too bad. I waited on surgery for both eyes until I couldn't see, and by then the doctors had to guess which lens shape/focal lengths to use,

Were you working at the time? As it got close to the time for surgery, and I was getting a little nervous, I thought that if I weren't working, I might have waited. I was getting by. But, working in front of a computer (actually 2 monitors) 8 hrs a day, the vision problems were making my life miserable. Personally, I'm glad it happened because my eyesight is so much better than what I've been making do with. It is a blessing.

On 4/2/2017 at 6:41 PM, classylady said:

Dahlia, glad you found out about the cataracts. Was it discovered with a routine eye appointment?  Or, did you realize you had a problem and specifically set up an appointment?

I'm diabetic and have a dilated eye exam each year. My last visit, in August, indicated that the cataracts were 'on the horizon' and that we should just watch for changes. However, by February my vision was so bad, I had to see my doc again. She did some extra tests and said, yeah, you probably need cataract surgery. I came back, did some more tests (all painless; they shine a light in your eye and ask questions about your vision) and talked to the surgeon.

As I mentioned, I wasn't seeing contrast on web pages, which worried me when people at work pointed out things they were seeing that I wasn't. I've been able to reset all my web pages back to normal now. I'm also able to see pages at 60-80% and not the 150% I had to use before.

dahlia, ask about accommodating IOLs. The promise is that you get your 25-year-old eyes back -- 20/20 vision AND the ability to focus near or far. They sound too good to be true, but that's what I'm hoping for in the not-too-distant future.

14 hours ago, dahlia said:

Were you working at the time? As it got close to the time for surgery, and I was getting a little nervous, I thought that if I weren't working, I might have waited. I was getting by. But, working in front of a computer (actually 2 monitors) 8 hrs a day, the vision problems were making my life miserable. Personally, I'm glad it happened because my eyesight is so much better than what I've been making do with. It is a blessing.

I was caretaking and assisting a friend with his business. I was able to manage computer work and the like because the cataracts developed one eye at a time. I feel blessed even though I can only see about half as well as I did before the cataracts. Some sight is better than none. But, again, I am very happy for your blessed results.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

On 4/6/2017 at 0:37 AM, Vort said:

dahlia, ask about accommodating IOLs. The promise is that you get your 25-year-old eyes back -- 20/20 vision AND the ability to focus near or far. They sound too good to be true, but that's what I'm hoping for in the not-too-distant future.

I got lenses that give me intermediate vision. I think they were regular lenses. I am very happy with them - was able to read the hymn numbers on the wall at church today!  I couldn't do that with my contacts. I was a little anxious as to what 'intermediate' would really mean, but I see well enough to drive, use the computer, get stuff at the store, etc. I need readers for very small print like a medicine bottle. I actually read a book on the commuter bus, which I haven't done in years. I will read from my Kindle, where I can adjust the font size, but a hardcover book, nope. I'm just thrilled. 

My vision at 25 was probably around 20/200. It was 20/400+ when I got the operation. So this is better than I've seen since I was a little kid.