Sustaining those called to serve

pam

1 hour ago, Vort said:

To anoint is to put oil on someone. That was my thought.

Yes. But...is the phrase literal? That's the question. The origin of anointing has it's roots in royalty. It was part of the process of declaring someone a leader. The temple ceremony of anointing is doing the same but in an eternal sense and only if we live up to our covenants. But in a more general sense, the idea of "the Lord's anointed" meaning the leaders called by the Lord to guide His kingdom here on earth makes perfect sense.

The Lord's Anointed to me always meant the GA's. But it's not a hard stretch for me to extend that to my bishop... then, should I too, put it to the auxiliary leadership in the ward, and those who are set apart to serve my children (thus keeping their temple covenants to build up the kingdom)? No one from the prophet on down is perfect, but could we call anyone "anointed" who is trying and working to improve day by day anointed, at least in their callings? I think it's possible. In that case, I'd think that "speaking ill" generally applies to those callings. By criticizing someone who is filling their callings to the best of their abilities, we aren't really sustaining them, which we also agree to do when we raise our arms to the square.

Edited by Eowyn

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Yes. But...is the phrase literal? That's the question. The origin of anointing has it's roots in royalty. It was part of the process of declaring someone a leader. The temple ceremony of anointing is doing the same but in an eternal sense and only if we live up to our covenants. But in a more general sense, the idea of "the Lord's anointed" meaning the leaders called by the Lord to guide His kingdom here on earth makes perfect sense.

Before we receive our Endowments .... we are Washed and Anointed... thus it works even in the literal sense

Do I criticize them? No, not so much as question their decision sometimes. We know that they are human beings and we know that they are fallible, which means that they are very capable of making mistakes, and do. I guess the question is what does it mean to sustain them? Is it more than supporting them? We support our spouses, right? But we know our spouses, and ourselves as well, are far from perfect, and can make stupid mistakes and dumb decisions. Do I sustain them? Not in a blind sense, no. But I do believe in them and in their earnest desires to do what they think is best. That way, I am not disappointed when they fall short, and they do, just like any of us do. 

59 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Before we receive our Endowments .... we are Washed and Anointed... thus it works even in the literal sense

But we were not washed and anointed in a broad sense. We were washed and anointed with very specific promises.

4 hours ago, David13 said:

Who are the Lord's anointed?  All of us?  Or the 12 or 15?

Further, is making a true remark about someone, at least from my point of view, is that speaking evil?

What is speaking evil?

dc

Good question. Scriptural speaking, it's always been someone who became the king, which includes Jesus since he is the heir to the throne of David. But were the prophets and apostles considered the Lord's anointed? I'm not so sure, since they did not become kings. 

15 hours ago, David13 said:

I suppose I'm worthy.  I'm not certain if I get a paper on that or anything.  Or do I? 
I can mention I went to 3 sessions at the Manti Temple this week, 2 on Tuesday and 1 on Wednesday. 

I say that not to brag, but to testify as to how much I love the Endowment session, and particular the Manti Temple version, which is presented live, with live people, just like in Salt Lake.

And to encourage anyone who has not been there to go.

They just finished the Manti Mormon Pageant Saturday.  Which is another reason to visit Manti in June.  That's not why I went but many people do.

dc

No, no need for paper!

I wish I could see a live session in Manti or SL temples one day.

On June 27, 2016 at 3:18 PM, pam said:

Something interesting I read in a discussion in another group.  The topic was actually about whether we raise our hand to sustain those called to serve when we are visiting a ward that is not our own.

This I found on lds.org:

What does it mean to sustain my Church leaders?
As members of the Church, we have the opportunity to sustain those the Lord has called to serve. We raise our hand to indicate that we sustain the General Authorities and officers of the Church and each of the leaders in our wards and stakes—including Young Women class presidencies. Sustaining leaders involves more than just a raised hand—it means that we stand behind them, pray for them, accept assignments and callings from them, obey their counsel, and refrain from criticizing them. 

What I found interesting was the last 4 words.  Refrain from criticizing them.  How often do we see this happening?  Quite a bit.  Yet we raised our hand to sustain them.

I spent 32 years in the same Ward and Stake. Just a few years into that Ward a new Bishop was called, after the meeting some friends were in the hallway questioning the judgement of that calling. We had small children and sat in the back row by the door in case we needed to take them out. I had seen my friends raise their hands to support and sustain the new Bishop. I listened for a moment to their comments and a friend turned to me and wanted to know if I agreed...I told them all, that I am not doing this! I added, "I raised my hand to sustain him, and I will not stand here and listen to this". A few of those friends apologized to me the next week, for trying to drag them into their criticisms and thanked me for teaching them a valuable lesson. We are commanded to "reframe from evil speaking of the Lord's anointed". There is much I struggle with and don't do well, but I am loyal to a fault, I am my father's son, and that was one of his greatest traits. 

On 7/1/2016 at 5:19 AM, Edspringer said:

No, no need for paper!

I wish I could see a live session in Manti or SL temples one day.

I see you are in Brazil.

Perhaps someday you will have the opportunity.

I would recommend coming to Salt Lake to attend the conference.  They will give you reserved front section tickets, and you can attend the Salt Lake Temple.

Manti, the only other place live sessions are available is 125 miles to the south. 

So it's all possible for at least a one time trip.

I hope you do make it some day.

dc

51 minutes ago, David13 said:

I see you are in Brazil.

Perhaps someday you will have the opportunity.

I would recommend coming to Salt Lake to attend the conference.  They will give you reserved front section tickets, and you can attend the Salt Lake Temple.

Manti, the only other place live sessions are available is 125 miles to the south. 

So it's all possible for at least a one time trip.

I hope you do make it some day.

dc

I went to Salt Lake in 2004, but didnt have the chance to watch a live session.

I'll work on going to Utah in the next year.

Thanx