Music for Funerals Question

Connie

When playing the organ for a funeral, should you continue the prelude music as the casket and family file in or should you stop and let silence reign during that time? What have y'all seen done? Which do you feel is better?

4 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I play until the funeral director asks everyone to be seated.

This is what i have always done. But at a funeral for a lady in our ward several months ago (i wasn't the one playing the organ for this one), the organist stopped as the casket and family started to file in. And it got me wondering.

3 minutes ago, Connie said:

This is what i have always done. But at a funeral for a lady in our ward several months ago (i wasn't the one playing the organ for this one), the organist stopped as the casket and family started to file in. And it got me wondering.

I don't know that I've ever seen that done. It would feel weird to me. 

I have (unfortunately) been to a lot of funerals in the last couple of years. I think all of them did it how you and I do. Granted, I was probably playing at half of them.

I've been at a funeral where they stopped the music as the family and casket were brought in/entering and it was uncomfortable... too much silence. Every little cough, shuffle, movement.  Having the music continue to play quietly in the background is much more comfortable.  But, I would think you could ask the family what they prefer or if there is a special song they prefer at that time.... 

At my Grandma's recent funeral, at the graveside the family spontaneously broke into "The Old Apple Tree".

There's an old apple tree in the orchard,

Lives in my memory,

It reminds me of me pappy who was handsome young and happy,

When he planted the old apple tree,

Say goodbye, say goodbye,

Say goodbye to the old apple tree.

If me pappy woulda knowd it he'd be sorry that he growd it,

Cause he died in the old apple tree.

The verses go one to tell the story of how they hung Grandpa in the old apple tree for going out on a date with ol' wider Norton.

It was very reverent.

I think we sang it at my grandpa's funeral some 15 years back or so too.

To be fair, it's an old family tradition to sing that song, and I think it was initially introduced by my grandpa and grandma.

I know this post has nothing to do with the topic at hand. But....well.....there it is.

7 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

That's nice, TFP. I remember Pres. Monson saying awhile back that our family traditions are so important. They tie us together. 

To be fair...I found it a bit weird and I didn't join in the singing. Which I'm one of the guitarists in the family who often leads such things. It was odd at the grave side to me. But my extended family is odd. There's no getting around that.

4 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

By my father's request, my uncle blasted out "Another Bites the Dust" as his (my father's) casket was lowered to the ground. You may (or may not) want to find an organ arrangement.

This explains some things. ;)

I'm 100 percent seriously requesting that musical scores of video games be played at my funeral instead of hymns. I've already written down a list of songs. It's my funeral so my request should be honored.

15 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I'm 100 percent seriously requesting that musical scores of video games be played at my funeral instead of hymns. I've already written down a list of songs. It's my funeral so my request should be honored.

There is some really beautiful Zelda music. Most people wouldn't know the difference. 

However, if you're serious about it, you'd have to have your funeral somewhere other than a chapel. I don't think any bishop would okay that. ;)

6 hours ago, Eowyn said:

There is some really beautiful Zelda music. Most people wouldn't know the difference. 

However, if you're serious about it, you'd have to have your funeral somewhere other than a chapel. I don't think any bishop would okay that. ;)

Does having a funeral in a church bless the body at all or does it not matter if you don't have a funeral in a church.

6 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Does having a funeral in a church bless the body at all or does it not matter if you don't have a funeral in a church.

Doesn't matter at all. There is a priesthood blessing over the actual gravesite, but where you hold the services is of no consequence.

It was a little weird. I guess i'm just wondering if it should be. Are we as a society/culture just too uncomfortable with silence? Rhetorical question there. I'm not super interested in turning this into a discussion of the merits of lack thereof of silence. Okay, so maybe i'm a little interested. But i think in this instance i agree with y'all that it's better to continue the quiet prelude.