Seeing yourself in the temple by Quentin Cook

Sunday21

I am assigned to teach Quentin Cook's Seeing Yourself in the Temple talk from the most recent general conference. One of our bishopric's key concerns is the lack of temple recommends held by ward members. Should we address this as part of the lesson? The number of recommends has dropped dramatically in recent years. My guess is that this drop reflects a drop in full tithe payers as the number of factory jobs dropped and many families moved away as jobs dryed up, leaving poorer people behind, the discouraged unemployed. We could break into buzz groups to discuss how to increase the % of temple recommend holders? I was picturing that part of the solution might be to fast to increase the %, but I would not like to suggest this personal seems a bit pushy.

56 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I am assigned to teach Quentin Cook's Seeing Yourself in the Temple talk from the most recent general conference. One of our bishopric's key concerns is the lack of temple recommends held by ward members. Should we address this as part of the lesson? The number of recommends has dropped dramatically in recent years. My guess is that this drop reflects a drop in full tithe payers as the number of factory jobs dropped and many families moved away as jobs dryed up, leaving poorer people behind, the discouraged unemployed. We could break into buzz groups to discuss how to increase the % of temple recommend holders? I was picturing that part of the solution might be to fast to increase the %, but I would not like to suggest this personal seems a bit pushy.

My flawed 2 cents: the goal of a lesson is not to increase numbers, but to increase discipleship (though the latter generally affects the former).  Focus on "how do we become better disciples of Christ" rather than "how do we increase numbers".  

25 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

My flawed 2 cents: the goal of a lesson is not to increase numbers, but to increase discipleship (though the latter generally affects the former).  Focus on "how do we become better disciples of Christ" rather than "how do we increase numbers".  

I admit this approach had not occurred to me! Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

How about "how can you better prepare to attend the temple?"

I love how important the work being done is. Have you ever stopped and taken a look at just what we are actually doing for the dead in the temple?  We are helping souls progress in eternity and they NEED a living person to stand as proxy for them in the temple.

14 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I love how important the work being done is. Have you ever stopped and taken a look at just what we are actually doing for the dead in the temple?  We are helping souls progress in eternity and they NEED a living person to stand as proxy for them in the temple.

Yes. Now that you mention it, the situation is very cool. We are minor saviors!?

And we are confirmed or reaffirmed in our own faith in the Temple.  The Temple is the great symbol of our membership in the church and a great symbol of our faith.

It also affirms that we are living righteously.  It should be a goal for all members, and members should teach and prepare their children for the Temple. 

There is a certain glorious aspect to attending the Temple that brings spirituality to anyone who attends.

dc

9 hours ago, David13 said:

There is a certain glorious aspect to attending the Temple that brings spirituality to anyone who attends.

Not everyone. Only those who are striving to be worthy of those blessings. Otherwise, you're absolutely right.

Lehi