2nd Amendment Rights Don't Apply to All???

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest MormonGator
26 minutes ago, unixknight said:

You are too kind, sir.

Thank you my friend. 

It really is amazing how few people don't examine their own views, isn't it?  Maybe they are afraid to really double check their own beliefs because they are afraid they might be wrong? I don't claim to know the answer. 

And yes, it's both sides that do this. Liberals rarely engage in self criticism and neither do conservatives. 

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, unixknight said:

@MormonGator That's because people with strong introspection skills tend to become moderates.

I have noticed that many people become more moderate as they age. I know of liberals who in 2000 voted for Gore then voted for Romney in 2012. I also know of Bush voters who swung to Obama in 2008. I have certainly became much more centrist that I was as a younger man, in particular on the social issues. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Backroads said:

In my early 20s I did consider myself far more liberal than I do now (whatever that degree of liberal means to the masses). I think they're may be something to this idea.

Thanks Backroads. 

I do think it's more common to start on the left and move rightward. I have seen more people who have done that than start on the right and move left. Not saying that it never happens-like I mentioned it did happen to me to a degree. 

I once heard a saying.  "If you're young and not Liberal, you have no heart.  If you're old and not Conservative, you have no brain." 

I don't really agree with that, but I understand what it's saying.  Like @MormonGator I was more Conservative when I was younger, but that had a lot to do with me being insulated from other perspectives.

I do think reality leans Conservative, but you need both perspectives to really understand issues in a useful way.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I once heard a saying.  "If you're young and not Liberal, you have no heart.  If you're old and not Conservative, you have no brain." 

I don't really agree with that, but I understand what it's saying.  Like @MormonGator I was more Conservative when I was younger, but that had a lot to do with me being insulated from other perspectives.

I do think reality leans Conservative, but you need both perspectives to really understand issues in a useful way.

Much better said than what I could do, for sure. Agree 10,000%. I was also more conservative for that very reason! I was insulated from other perspectives, grew up in a small town, staunchly Catholic environment, everything.

Irving Kristol "A neoconservative is a liberal who has been mugged by reality" was right to some degree as well, as is your saying that is widely attributed to Churchill but I heard is actually from Disraeli. 

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Irving Kristol "A neoconservative is a liberal who has been mugged by reality" was right to some degree as well

I wonder if it was that quote that was paraphrased in a Maxx comic book issue:  "A Liberal is just a Conservative who's never been mugged."

I guess to bring this back on topic... I try to analyze all these shootings and be patient and wait for the facts to come out but... it's exhausting, and I feel overwhelmed.  It seems like every week there's a new incident and I honestly don't know if it's because it's happening more often, or if it's just always been that way and the media is reporting it more... and I don't know which one scares me the most.

6 hours ago, Backroads said:

I know enough to realize the media twists things, skews things, and is far from an accurate and balanced view of reality. Do I believe there are some, even an impressive number of BLM people who are giving the movement a very bad name? … Sure. But I also trust they are the loud and obnoxious minority and that the real work is being done on a more peaceful level.

Where, exactly, is this "real work"?

The Black* Sheriff, David Clarke, said this morning:

… Jesse Jackson said yesterday:  He talked about the civil rights struggle that continues today.  I’m here to tell you, and I’m living proof – there’s no civil rights struggle in the United States anymore. We took care of that.  There are some instance that pop up from time to time, and I’ll tell you what – we have things in place that will shut that sort of stuff down.  What he’s talking about is when blacks were denied the right to vote.  Blacks are not denied the right to vote!  When blacks couldn’t sit at a counter in a white restaurant – you had your coloreds-only and whites-only – that was the civil rights struggle that no longer exists in the United States.  That needs to end!  That’s the kind of stuff that keeps this division going, and once white people acknowledge that and start pushing back against that – that’s when I think we’ll all be better off.  Right now everybody’s walking around on egg shells, they’re afraid to say anything about this hate group, Black Lives Matter.  They’re afraid to say anything about support for police, in a public manner.  Until that starts to happen – and I’m talking about ‘push-back,’ then we’ll be a lot better off as a country.”

The fact he's Black is either important or not at all, depending on one's own level of racism. for me, it matterth not, for many Blacks, I suspect it's critical.

Lehi

David Clarke is not alone among Black sheriffs:

The chief of police in El Paso, Texas, labeled Black Lives Matter a “radical hate group” Friday night, blaming them for Thursday’s shooting in Dallas and calling on policymakers to take a closer look at the movement.

Allen was asked to comment on an upcoming protest vigil El Paso’s Black Lives Matter group is planning to hold Sunday night. He responded by denouncing the group in remarkably harsh terms.

“Black Lives Matter, as far as I am concerned, is a radical hate group,” Allen said. “And for that purpose alone, I think the leadership of this country needs to look a little bit harder at that particular group. The consequences of what we saw in Dallas is due to their efforts.”

If Black cops think Black Lies Matter is racist and terrorrist, why should anyone else think differently?

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

On 7/10/2016 at 8:42 AM, LiterateParakeet said:

I'm one of these people you speak of

So, who are "these people you speak of"?

Lehi

Sorry, can't do the change for context standard using square brackets. There is a lot of weird formatting going on in addition. LS

Edited by LeSellers

On 7/10/2016 at 7:57 AM, LiterateParakeet said:

Your opinions vs. their experience. 

People's experiences are not the reality. Their experiences are their reaction to reality.

When a people has been carefully cultivated to accept that everything was "stolen from them" and that they have the "right" to get it back, they are not experiencing reality: they are just responding to their conditioning.

When a guy is J-walking and refuses to comply with a police order to get out of the middle of the street, and then he attacks the officer, who shoots and kills him, he didn't die because he was J-walking. He died because he attacked the officer. But that's not what his family and friends believe because they are not experiencing reality.

Lehi