Whites more likely than blacks to be shot by police in violent crimes

prisonchaplain

2 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Why not?

This aversion to common sense is pathetic. It's gonna get people killed. Oh, wait! It already  has.

Lehi

"Racial profiling" would mean the police were justified in "shoot first, ask questions later," due to the suspect's race. I know of no law enforcement that supports such.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

"Racial profiling" would mean the police were justified in "shoot first, ask questions later," due to the suspect's race. I know of no law enforcement that supports such.

Racial profiling strips someone of their individuality. I'm a firm believer in individual rights-I find racial profiling jarringly offensive. 

2 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

When Israel does it, they don't shoot first, they rarely shoot at all. Yet Ben Gurion Airport is the safest in the world.

Lehi

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Racial profiling strips someone of their individuality. I'm a firm believer in individual rights-I find racial profiling jarringly offensive. 

How, exactly, does "[r]acial profiling strip[] someone of their [sic] individuality"?

Are those entering Ben Gurion Airport somehow less individuals because they've been profiled, initially based on physical appearance?

Lehi

@LeSellers, targeting arrivals from suspect countries, or those with known associations that are hostile to U.S. interests does not constitute profiling, in my book. If it does in yours then that type of "profiling" seems justified.

Edited by prisonchaplain

3 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

targeting arrivals from suspect countries, or those with known associations that are hostile to U.S. interests, does not constitute profiling, in my book. If it does then yours, then that type of "profiling" seems justified.

The comparison to Israel at Ben Gurion Airport is what I use to show that profiling is useful, and it need not "strip" anyone of his individuality (what ever that actually means).

Your stats show that Blacks commit crimes at a higher rate (~5x higher) than Whites. Their crimes are more violent, as well. Any cop who does not profile racially is a fool. Even J€$$€ J₳₵₭$Ө₦* prayed, when he heard footsteps following him in the dark, that it be a White guy. If he can get away with racial profiling, people whose lives are in danger every day (e.g., police officers) not only should be able to, they must.
* A man race hustler/baiter whom I detest as much as anyone else on this planet.

Lehi

I suppose what gets profiled by police, more than race, is geography. Certain neighborhoods are known for drugs, or other crime, so they experience a heavier police presence. It's doubtful that police target blacks in Redmond, WA (Microsoft's neighborhood), and it's probable that many whites are nervous about police in some of our South King County communities. 

2 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Pardon?

Lehi

I just think it interesting that if this were a rape instead of a murder, the same social liberals* who are now regurgitating the "black lives matter" talking points would have decreed that the extent to which the victim (or class of people generally like the victim) had contributed to the attitudes and events leading to the rape itself must be absolutely off-limits for discussion, in perpetuity.

*(I'm referring primarily to mass media and my own Facebook feed; not the libertarian-leaning contributors here.)

Guest MormonGator
58 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

Certain neighborhoods are known for drugs, or other crime, so they experience a heavier police presence.

PC-you don't think a black guy should be pulled over just because he's black in a ghetto though, do you? When I think of racial profiling, that's what I think of. Only pull over the black guy if he's committing a crime (speeding, etc). 

16 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Only pull over the black guy if he's committing a crime (speeding, etc). 

But that results in disproportionate pulling over, since Blacks are more likely to speed than Whites. I just read a story of a Black woman who was pulled over for doing 20+ mph over the limit three times in a single hour, twice by the same cop. Blacks said she was cited for DWB, but her attorney said it was because she was speeding.

No, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", but the statistics show that, in all crime categories, especially violent crimes, Blacks are more prone to break the law than Whites, and Whites more than Asians. Of course, when they are arrested, it's racism.

Lehi

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

PC-you don't think a black guy should be pulled over just because he's black in a ghetto though, do you? When I think of racial profiling, that's what I think of. Only pull over the black guy if he's committing a crime (speeding, etc). 

Not unless they are looking for a black suspect. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
7 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I just think it interesting that if this were a rape instead of a murder, the same social liberals* who are now regurgitating the "black lives matter" talking points would have decreed that the extent to which the victim (or class of people generally like the victim) had contributed to the attitudes and events leading to the rape itself must be absolutely off-limits for discussion, in perpetuity.

*(I'm referring primarily to mass media and my own Facebook feed; not the libertarian-leaning contributors here.)

FWIW, I am always against blaming the victim.  I certainly do not blame the police in Dallas, what happened there is horrific and is the fault of the twisted minds (four snipers, correct? that did the crime, no one else).  And it goes without saying how I feel about blaming rape victims.

What I see is a lot of blaming black victims.  Conservatives say, "Well he had a record" or "He was a suspect in a robbery".   I've been thinking about this all day and can think of two reasons that people blame the victim (in any situation).  

1) It is to separate oneself from the horror.  For example, if you see a fatal accident and think "I bet he was drinking" or "must have fallen asleep at the wheel"....then you can feel more comfortable that it would never happen to you.  If a rape victim was drunk, then see, you or your loved one will never get raped because you don't drink.  If one sees a video of alleged police brutality, telling yourself that he deserved it because he didn't comply or was a criminal or whatever, relieves you of the stress of worrying that that could happen to someone you care about. 

2) We blame the victim to justify the horror.  "Well that's too bad, but if  . . . "  For example, if the rape victim hadn't worn that short skirt, now she'll know better.  Then one can go fix a sandwich and not feel bad for the young woman.  Or with police brutality, if you blame the victim then you don't have to accept that perhaps there is a problem in our society.  Yesterday a friend tried to tell me that Philando Castile was a robbery suspect, the implication being that everything from his being pulled over to his death is then justified.  That's problematic for several reasons, mostly for me, because it's like soldiers in time of war calling the enemy gooks or other such names to dehumanize them in order to do what they have to do, which is take another human life.  I feel like saying, "well he was a suspect" is the same thing and that is sick and wrong. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet
20 hours ago, Carborendum said:

As if on cue.  This video was just published yesterday.

Hey Carb, in another post, I mentioned to you "the talk" that black parents give their children (that has nothing to do with the birds and bees), well I just came across this powerful TED talk.  It's only 5 minutes long, and worth your consideration.

One thing left out - but perhaps not entirely - has nothing to do directly with what we call or label racism.  It his to do with reactions that are built into human emotions.  Throughout human history during conflicts of armies engaged in serious battle - strangely close to 75% of the deaths cause are the result of what we call friendly fire.  This is where individual kill those fighting along side them.  Some (very few) are intended killings taking place as an opportunity as revenge for a grudge but most are because in a situation of high excitement adrenaline is released with the effect of shorting reaction time and eliminating executive or logical brain intervention.  We also know that the longer a person is subjected to the stress causing the adrenaline release - the more likely the individual will become reactive minus the possibility of logical processes.  We also know that drugs that induce heighten sensory will have the same affect as the adrenaline - which means the recent use of drugs (including alcohol) will alter a persons ability to override violent reactions to perceived dangers.

Telling a person to fear police or telling police to fear certain individuals is a recipe for disaster.  Fostering fear has long been a tactic of war to cause logical breakdown of enemy logical functions.  It is why primitive elements wore war paint or did other things to induce fear.  It is my personal belief that just the manner we go about discussing problems can have an affect of the probability of making the problem worse.   Unlike many other things - just getting information out in the open should not be the objective.  The first objective should be to convince each side - that they do not need to be afraid. 

My grandfather was a bee keeper and would tell me that bees will not sting unless we panic and become afraid.  In essence that bees react of adrenaline release.  I believe this lesson transcends to all creatures that become reactive themselves - I know for my self that an agitated person acting nervously cause me to be very nervous and apprehensive - which makes me more dangerous.  Human nature is part of us all.  It is time to stop feeding the violent wolves that are a part of us all.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Human nature is part of us all.  It is time to stop feeding the violent wolves that are a part of us all.

Well said Traveler.

If only it was that easy. Sadly, just talking about "stopping the violence" will make us feel better as a society but it won't really stop violence. It's like when elderly relatives or friends post things on Facebook that you cringe at because they are overly simplistic and don't deal with reality. You know, things that work well on Hallmark cards and don't last three seconds after you close the card. 

8 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

FWIW, I am always against blaming the victim.  I certainly do not blame the police in Dallas, what happened there is horrific and is the fault of the twisted minds (four snipers, correct? that did the crime, no one else).  And it goes without saying how I feel about blaming rape victims.

What I see is a lot of blaming black victims.  Conservatives say, "Well he had a record" or "He was a suspect in a robbery".   I've been thinking about this all day and can think of two reasons that people blame the victim (in any situation).  

1) It is to separate oneself from the horror.  For example, if you see a fatal accident and think "I bet he was drinking" or "must have fallen asleep at the wheel"....then you can feel more comfortable that it would never happen to you.  If a rape victim was drunk, then see, you or your loved one will never get raped because you don't drink.  If one sees a video of alleged police brutality, telling yourself that he deserved it because he didn't comply or was a criminal or whatever, relieves you of the stress of worrying that that could happen to someone you care about. 

2) We blame the victim to justify the horror.  "Well that's too bad, but if  . . . "  For example, if the rape victim hadn't worn that short skirt, now she'll know better.  Then one can go fix a sandwich and not feel bad for the young woman.  Or with police brutality, if you blame the victim then you don't have to accept that perhaps there is a problem in our society.  Yesterday a friend tried to tell me that Philando Castile was a robbery suspect, the implication being that everything from his being pulled over to his death is then justified.  That's problematic for several reasons, mostly for me, because it's like soldiers in time of war calling the enemy gooks or other such names to dehumanize them in order to do what they have to do, which is take another human life.  I feel like saying, "well he was a suspect" is the same thing and that is sick and wrong. 

LP, your points may have merit in their own right; but their being offered at this particular juncture seems to reinforce my point.  A vicious murder is not the time to talk about (let alone make political hay out of) the injustices suffered by the perpetrator or his class; any more than Boko Haram's outrages against African schoolgirls are cause to instigate a discussion about whether the men's rights movement may have some legitimate grievances. 

But to engage your post a little more deeply:  There is a third reason to "blame the victim", beyond what you describe; and that reason is that sometimes the victim's preceding conduct is actually blameworthy, could only be stopped under the circumstances by the actions that were in fact taken, and that the continuation of the blameworthy conduct would have been intolerable for society.  Take Trayvon Martin, or Michael Brown.  Martin appeared to be actively casing houses for burglary in a neighborhood that had recently suffered several break-ins, and when Zimmerman intervened (by merely observing Martin from a distance) Martin ambushed him and began thrashing him to within an inch of his life.  Similarly with Michael Brown--he was was a jaywalker who happened to match the radioed description of (and in fact WAS) the perpetrator of a violent robbery in the vicinity mere moments before; and when police intervened he actively attacked the officer and tried to wrestle his gun away. The Black Lives Matter folks seem to fundamentally hold that neither Martin nor Brown should have even been approached in spite of the highly suspicious circumstances; and that--once each individual was approached and responded with potentially lethal violence--the (non-black) victims of that violence had no right to defend themselves from said violence.  I say that it's intolerable to demand a society in which suspicious behavior is not monitored, or criminals are allowed to go unconfronted due to their race, or goons are permitted to use lethal force unopposed against those who call them to account for their behavior.

Now, I'm not familiar with these more recent cases you cite.  I'm enough of a libertarian to be deeply uncomfortable with use of police force, and to understand that police sometimes act unjustifiably and then try to cover it up post hoc.  But for what it's worth, I don't consider BLM or their supporters to be allies against police overreach.  Ferguson gave them a golden opportunity to stand for the role of law enforcement as legitimate wielders of force in defense of the life, liberty and property of law-abiding citizenry, and they blew that opportunity spectacularly.  As far as I'm concerned, they're just a front group for agitators who are plotting a full-fledged race war in this country and who resent the police for being the law-abiding citizenry's first line of defense in that war.

10 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Hey Carb, in another post, I mentioned to you "the talk" that black parents give their children (that has nothing to do with the birds and bees), well I just came across this powerful TED talk.  It's only 5 minutes long, and worth your consideration.

Too bad so few Black children listen.

It's even worse that so few Black children have a father who'll tell them this. And it's too bad that liberals have made this the case for them. Liberals are the worst racists of all.

Lehi

Jay Stalien is a former Baltimore Police Officer and a current Palm Beach County Police Officer.

Real talk from Officer Jay Stalien.

13606527_910411105737240_369972690246415
Jay Stalien

I have come to realize something that is still hard for me to understand to this day. The following may be a shock to some coming from an African American, but ...the mere fact that it may be shocking to some is prima facie evidence of the sad state of affairs that we are in as Humans.

I used to be so torn inside growing up. Here I am, a young African-American born and raised in Brooklyn, NY wanting to be a cop. I watched and lived through the crime that took place in the hood. My own black people killing others over nothing. Crack heads and heroin addicts lined the lobby of my building as I shuffled around them to make my way to our 1 bedroom apartment with 6 of us living inside. I used to be woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of gun fire, only to look outside and see that it was 2 African Americans shooting at each other.

It never sat right with me. I wanted to help my community and stop watching the blood of African Americans spilled on the street at the hands of a fellow black man. I became a cop because black lives in my community, along with ALL lives, mattered to me, and wanted to help stop the bloodshed.

As time went by in my law enforcement career, I quickly began to realize something. I remember the countless times I stood 2 inches from a young black man, around my age, laying on his back, gasping for air as blood filled his lungs. I remember them bleeding profusely with the unforgettable smell of deoxygenated dark red blood in the air, as it leaked from the bullet holes in his body on to the hot sidewalk on a summer day. I remember the countless family members who attacked me, spit on me, cursed me out, as I put up crime scene tape to cordon off the crime scene, yelling and screaming out of pain and anger at the sight of their loved ones taking their last breath. I never took it personally, I knew they were hurting. I remember the countless times I had to order new uniforms, because the ones I had on, were bloody from the blood of another black victim…of black on black crime. I remember the countless times I got back in my patrol car, distraught after having watched another black male die in front me, having to start my preliminary report something like this:

Suspect- Black/ Male, Victim-Black /Male.

I remember the countless times I canvassed the area afterwards, and asked everyone “did you see who did it”, and the popular response from the very same family members was always, “Fuck the Police, I aint no snitch, Im gonna take care of this myself. This happened every single time, every single homicide, black on black, and then my realization became clearer.

I woke up every morning, put my freshly pressed uniform on, shined my badge, functioned checked my weapon, kissed my wife and kid, and waited for my wife to say the same thing she always does before I leave, “Make sure you come back home to us”. I always replied, “I will”, but the truth was I was never sure if I would. I almost lost my life on this job, and every call, every stop, every moment that I had this uniform on, was another possibility for me to almost lose my life again. I was a target in the very community I swore to protect, the very community I wanted to help. As a matter of fact, they hated my very presence. They called me “Uncle Tom”, and “wanna be white boy”, and I couldn’t understand why. My own fellow black men and women attacking me, wishing for my death, wishing for the death of my family. I was so confused, so torn, I couldn’t understand why my own black people would turn against me, when every time they called …I was there. Every time someone died….I was there. Every time they were going through one of the worst moments in their lives…I was there. So why was I the enemy? I dove deep into that question…Why was I the enemy? Then my realization became clearer.

I spoke to members of the community and listened to some of the complaints as to why they hated cops. I then did research on the facts. I also presented facts to these members of the community, and listened to their complaints in response. This is what I learned:

Complaint: Police always targeting us, they always messing with the black man.

Fact: A city where the majority of citizens are black (Baltimore for example) …will ALWAYS have a higher rate of black people getting arrested, it will ALWAYS have a higher rate of blacks getting stopped, and will ALWAYS have a higher rate of blacks getting killed, and the reason why is because a city with those characteristics will ALWAYS have a higher rate of blacks committing crime. The statistics will follow the same trend for Asians if you go to China, for Hispanics if you go to Puerto Rico, for whites if you go to Russia, and the list goes on. It’s called Demographics

Complaint: More black people get arrested than white boys.

Fact: Black People commit a grossly disproportionate amount of crime. Data from the FBI shows that Nationwide, Blacks committed 5,173 homicides in 2014, whites committed 4,367. Chicago’s death toll is almost equal to that of both wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, combined. Chicago’s death toll from 2001–November, 26 2015 stands at 7,401. The combined total deaths during Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003-2015: 4,815) and Operation Enduring Freedom/Afghanistan (2001-2015: 3,506), total 8,321.

Complaint: Blacks are the only ones getting killed by police, or they are killed more.

Fact: As of July 2016, the breakdown of the number of US Citizens killed by Police this year is, 238 White people killed, 123 Black people killed, 79 Hispanics, 69 other/or unknown race.

Fact: Black people kill more other blacks than Police do, and there are only protest and outrage when a cop kills a black man. University of Toledo criminologist Dr. Richard R. Johnson examined the latest crime data from the FBI’s Supplementary Homicide Reports and Centers for Disease Control and found that an average of 4,472 black men were killed by other black men annually between Jan. 1, 2009, and Dec. 31, 2012. Professor Johnson’s research further concluded that 112 black men died from both justified and unjustified police-involved killings annually during this same period.

Complaint: Well we already doing a good job of killing ourselves, we don’t need the Police to do it. Besides they should know better.

The more I listened, the more I realized. The more I researched, the more I realized. I would ask questions, and would only get emotional responses & inferences based on no facts at all. The more killing I saw, the more tragedy, the more savagery, the more violence, the more loss of life of a black man at the hands of another black man….the more I realized.

I haven’t slept well in the past few nights. Heartbreak weighs me down, rage flows through my veins, and tears fills my eyes. I watched my fellow officers assassinated on live television, and the images of them laying on the ground are seared into my brain forever. I couldn’t help but wonder if it had been me, a black man, a black cop, on TV, assassinated, laying on the ground dead,..would my friends and family still think black lives mattered? Would my life have mattered? Would they make t-shirts in remembrance of me? Would they go on tv and protest violence? Would they even make a Facebook post, or share a post in reference to my death?

All of my realizations came to this conclusion. Black Lives do not matter to most black people. Only the lives that make the national news matter to them. Only the lives that are taken at the hands of cops or white people, matter. The other thousands of lives lost, the other black souls that I along with every cop, have seen taken at the hands of other blacks, do not matter. Their deaths are unnoticed, accepted as the “norm”, and swept underneath the rug by the very people who claim and post “black lives matter”. I realized that this country is full of ignorance, where an educated individual will watch the ratings-driven news media, and watch a couple YouTube video clips, and then come to the conclusion that they have all the knowledge they need to have in order to know what it feels like to have a bullet proof vest as part of your office equipment, “Stay Alive” as part of your daily to do list, and having insurance for your health insurance because of the high rate of death in your profession. They watch a couple videos and then they magically know in 2 minutes 35 seconds, how you are supposed to handle a violent encounter, which took you 6 months of Academy training, 2 – 3 months of field training, and countless years of blood, sweat, tears and broken bones experiencing violent encounters and fine tuning your execution of the Use of Force Continuum. I realized that there are even cops, COPS, duly sworn law enforcement officers, who are supposed to be decent investigators, who will publicly go on the media and call other white cops racist and KKK, based on a video clip that they watched thousands of miles away, which was filmed after the fact, based on a case where the details aren’t even known yet and the investigation hasn’t even begun. I realized that most in the African American community refuse to look at solving the bigger problem that I see and deal with every day, which is black on black crime taking hundreds of innocent black lives each year, and instead focus on the 9 questionable deaths of black men, where some were in the act of committing crimes. I realized that they value the life of a Sex Offender and Convicted Felon, [who was in the act of committing multiple felonies: felon in possession of a firearm-FELONY, brandishing and threatening a homeless man with a gun-Aggravated Assault in Florida: FELONY, who resisted officers who first tried to taze him, and WAS NOT RESTRAINED, who can be clearly seen in one of the videos raising his right shoulder, then shooting it down towards the right side of his body exactly where the firearm was located and recovered] more than the lives of the innocent cops who were assassinated in Dallas protecting the very people that hated them the most. I realized that they refuse to believe that most cops acknowledge that there are Bad cops who should have never been given a badge & gun, who are chicken shit and will shoot a cockroach if it crawls at them too fast, who never worked in the hood and may be intimidated. That most cops dread the thought of having to shoot someone, and never see the turmoil and mental anguish that a cop goes through after having to kill someone to save his own life. Instead they believe that we are all blood thirsty killers, because the media says so, even though the numbers prove otherwise. I realize that they truly feel as if the death of cops will help people realize the false narrative that Black Lives Matter, when all it will do is take their movement two steps backwards and label them domestic terrorist. I realized that some of these people, who say Black Lives Matter, are full of hate and racism. Hate for cops, because of the false narrative that more black people are targeted and killed. Racism against white people, for a tragedy that began 100’s of years ago, when most of the white people today weren’t even born yet. I realized that some in the African American community’s idea of “Justice” is the prosecution of ANY and EVERY cop or white man that kills or is believed to have killed a black man, no matter what the circumstances are. I realized the African American community refuses to look within to solve its major issues, and instead makes excuses and looks outside for solutions. I realized that a lot of people in the African American community lead with hate, instead of love. Division instead of Unity. Turmoil and rioting, instead of Peace. I realized that they have become the very entity that they claim they are fighting against.

I realized that the very reasons I became a cop, are the very reasons my own people hate me, and now in this toxic hateful racially charged political climate, I am now more likely to die,... and it is still hard for me to understand…. to this day.

Bumped into this report from the notoriously right-wing Washington Post (kidding, it's left-wing rag on a par with the New York Times):

Into this conflict of views [some claiming cops kill Blacks, others that they kill Blacks less often than they do Whites] enters Lois James at Washington State, who has made studying the race factor in police shootings a specialty. For the most part, simply using data from police reports doesn’t include the episodes where an officer doesn’t shoot or doesn’t hit a target. So she has turned to the lab to try to simulate the circumstances officers face on the job, keeping all the factors identical within a scenario — type of weapon, body language and spoken threats, clothes, surroundings — except the race of the suspect.

In two previous tests using police simulators, James monitored the neurophysiological reactions, such as brain waves, of both police officers and civilians to deadly encounters. She said in an interview Tuesday that she found that “the participants were experiencing a greater threat response when faced with African Americans instead of white or Hispanic suspects.” But even with that response, in both studies the police and non-police participants were “significantly slower to shoot armed black suspects than armed white suspects, and significantly less likely to mistakenly shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects.”

For the new study, James enlisted 80 patrol officers from the Spokane Police Department, which handles a city of about 250,000. The participants were almost all white (76 of 80) and nearly all male (71), which James said was reflective of the Spokane department, and they had an average age of 40 and experience of more than 14 years. The officers came into the lab on four occasions between August 2012 and November 2013, before the uproar ignited by police shootings in Ferguson, Mo., and elsewhere in 2014. On each day, they would face six scenarios, involving both armed and unarmed suspects who were both black and white. A total of more than 1,500 scenarios were recorded. The officers were not told the reason for the tests nor was any mention made of race, they wore full uniforms to enhance the realism, and they were paid for their time.

In addition, for this study the officers were given a battery of written and oral tests. Again, there was no mention of a racial component. But one of the tests was the Harvard Implicit Association Test, designed to detect racial bias by linking pictures of black and white faces with pictures of weapons. Perhaps stunningly, 96 percent of the nearly all white officers demonstrated implicit racial bias, with 78 percent strongly or moderately associating blacks with weapons, and zero percent associating whites with weapons. So that’s the baseline test group for the study.

Now to the shooting scenarios. With all other variables constant, “officers took significantly longer to shoot armed black suspects than armed white suspects,” an average of 0.23 seconds slower, James wrote. When looking at shooting errors, where an unarmed suspect is wrongly shot, “officers were significantly less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects.” Of the wrongful shootings, white people were shot 54 times and black people were shot twice. Adjusting for the fact there were fewer black scenarios, “we found that officers were slightly more than three times less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects.

This is particularly notable because “our police participants demonstrated strong implicit bias associating black suspects with weapons,” James wrote. Still, the officers were “more hesitant and more careful in their decisions to shoot black suspects.” In effect, the officers “displayed a counter bias, or ‘reverse racism’ effect,” James said. “These findings call into question the validity of the widespread assumption that implicit racial bias is the cause of the disproportionate number of racial minorities in officer-involved shootings.”

But why? James’ team did not interview the Spokane officers. But she did not think that a 0.23 second delay in firing enabled the officers to consciously decide based on race. She considered whether the fact the officers knew they were being observed played into their actions, but she said the police did not know that race was a factor in the project. More likely, James concluded, was the reverse racism “rooted in people’s concerns about the social and legal consequences of shooting a member of a historically oppressed racial group…paired with the awareness of media backlash that follows an officer shooting a minority suspect.”

Cops don't shoot Blacks more than they do Whites — it's the reverse and very much so. It doesn't matter whether the suspect is armed or unarmed (which no one knows until later anyway). Blacks get off because not shot when they easily could have been, and even should have been. Blacks, about 1/5 the population of Whites in USA, kill many more times, in absolute numbers, the number of police officers that Whites do. Yet the police are reluctant to kill a black man because doing so will destroy their careers, if nothing else. Their families may be harmed, and their lives, both personal and professional, are over.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Guest LiterateParakeet
18 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

LP, your points may have merit in their own right; but their being offered at this particular juncture seems to reinforce my point.  A vicious murder is not the time to talk about (let alone make political hay out of) the injustices suffered by the perpetrator or his class; any more than Boko Haram's outrages against African schoolgirls are cause to instigate a discussion about whether the men's rights movement may have some legitimate grievances. 

You lost me here in the first paragraph. You are the one who brought up the topic of blaming the victim.  I was just responding to you.  Yet, somehow I was wrong in this,  and then you proceeded to continue with the discussion that you seem not to care for.  I'm seriously unclear on your point here.

I don't want to debate Trayvon Martin or Michael Brown, I think it is well-know that not everyone agrees with the way you presented the stories, but i see no point in going down that road again.

LESSON FOR EVERYONE:

Stop building Movements out of youtube videos.  Just stop.  It does more harm than good.  HANDS UP, DON'T SHOOT is based on a lie perpetuated by people who make judgments out of a one-sided narrative without all (or even any) of the facts.

5 police officers died based on 2 one-sided narratives that is starting to look like they are based on lies as well.  I'm sick of it.  This 24-hour news cycle and instant internet info is hurting us all - IT IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND SEEKS TO DIVIDE US INSTEAD OF UNITE US.

LET'S JUST STOP IT.

More data:

NCFS-Table.jpg

WhiteOffenders.jpg

BlackOffenders.jpg

HispanicOffenders.jpg

Blacks commit a hugely disproportionate fraction of all violent crimes. And, while Black-on-Black crime is a serious problem, it is only about 2/5 of all their violent crimes are against Black victims; the other 3/5 are against people of other races, notably against Whites. Whites, on the other hand attack other Whites 4/5  of the time. Blacks not only target Whites (and others), but they do so vastly out of proportion compared to the targets of other inter-racial criminals.

So, when a Black man encounters a policeman, that cop has every reason to be wary of the suspect.

BLM BCM — Black Crimes Matter.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Black police officers comprise ~12% of all policemen. Between 2005 and 2015, of the 54 officers charged with fatally shooting someone 16.6% were Black. Jess makes ya wanna go "Hmmmmm."

Lehi

I am not convinced that race ever has to do with anything that gets labeled as racial.  I believe that if we really understand the parameters of violence within the species of mankind we will discover that the basis of violence is outside such parameters - I believe it has much more to do with community and culture substituting various sorts of selfishness, cruelty, stupidity and lack of logic then rationalizing their conclusion as some bazaar convoluted kind of justice that applies to just one item in their grossly inclusive list of injustices to their tiny or minority social/culture circle.  The claim that, "You do not understand because you are not ---------"  Is a bias that some humans are illogical and incapable of rational projective thinking - which is one of the worse kinds of bias and prejudices.

The Traveler