ROKU device & LDS helpful channels

NeedleinA

For those of you who have a ROKU or who might be considering ditching their cable bill, here are some LDS type/related/helpful channels on ROKU in case you didn't know. Also, if you are asking, what is ROKU?, here is a little link by the Church on it: link

roku-580x299-roku-landing-image.jpg.dba6

1. Mormon Channel:  Great for quick family home evening videos, Mormon messages, etc.
2. BYU TV: Live BYUtv, Live General Conference, repeats of BYU sports/football, STUDIO C family comedy, some very interesting church related documentaries - I really enjoyed :Fires of Faith (history of the publishing of the bible in English)
3. FAIRMormonTV: LDS Apologetics, defending the faith and answering harder doctrine questions

Non-LDS, but still enjoy
4. TED Talks: Lectures from a wide variety of topics
5. VidAngel: allows you to watch edited movies, @LiterateParakeet shared this one before.

Edited by NeedleinA

On July 10, 2016 at 8:54 AM, NeedleinA said:

For those of you who have a ROKU or who might be considering ditching their cable bill, here are some LDS type/related/helpful channels on ROKU in case you didn't know. Also, if you are asking, what is ROKU?, here is a little link by the Church on it: link

roku-580x299-roku-landing-image.jpg.dba6

1. Mormon Channel:  Great for quick family home evening videos, Mormon messages, etc.
2. BYU TV: Live BYUtv, Live General Conference, repeats of BYU sports/football, STUDIO C family comedy, some very interesting church related documentaries - I really enjoyed :Fires of Faith (history of the publishing of the bible in English)
3. FAIRMormonTV: LDS Apologetics, defending the faith and answering harder doctrine questions

Non-LDS, but still enjoy
4. TED Talks: Lectures from a wide variety of topics
5. VidAngel: allows you to watch edited movies, @LiterateParakeet shared this one before.

Vidangel. Does this mean no swearing?

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Vidangel. Does this mean no swearing?

I have not created an account "yet". From what I have read and from my sister who does use it, yes, you can put parameters into VidAngel, and it will custom edit your movie to your request. Example: click - no swearing  or click - no nudity or click both. There are other parameters, you decide your personal tolerance level. Perhaps @LiterateParakeet might share better insight than I.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

I have not created an account "yet". From what I have read and from my sister who does use it, yes, you can put parameters into VidAngel, and it will custom edit your movie to your request. Example: click - no swearing  or click - no nudity or click both. There are other parameters, you decide your personal tolerance level. Perhaps @LiterateParakeet might share better insight than I.  

I think you did great. :)  Actually, I haven't made an account with vidangel yet either, but I've been meaning to.  Yes, that is my understanding that you can set it to the parameters of your choice.  For example, you might be okay with violence, but not sex, or the h-word but not the f-word.  I think that is it, but again, i haven't tried it yet.  Thanks for reminding me though, there are a couple R-rated movies I would really like to see, like Good Will Hunting.  I've seen that edited on TV and it is a powerful story.  

I've used it...

My teenage son wanted to watch the Matrix because of alot of geeky pop cultural references it inspired and that he was missing..

So I fired up Vidangel... Set the filters that I wanted (yes some of the filters include language) and we watched it...

I hope vidangel wins. I want to watch seven psychopaths. A dog kidnapping ring. Meant to be funny

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865656008/Major-Hollywood-studios-sue-movie-editing-service-VidAngel.html?pg=all

Do not even think of trying to watch The Lobster. Premise:single people are sent to hotels where they have a few weeks to find a mate before they are turned into animals. Should have been hysterical. NOT. Gave up.

Hmmm.

What movies could I watch, if they would bleep the bad words? In the true north, cold and free, there used to be a channel that bleeped the bad words. I liked this a lot! The bleeping really added to the fun. Sadly this service is now gone. Who is our movie reviewer friend? Maybe, he can suggest some good movies that when bad words are removed will be family friendly. For example, About Time, lost the PG rating for a series of posters of a naked woman. For a female audience, no biggy. 

36 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Who is our movie reviewer friend? 

@Ironhold, I think he does a great job on his reviews, at least the one he shared for "Risen".

32 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

I don't think they will...  Their justification seems kind of weak...

Is VidAngel just another dba for CleanFlicks or some spin off of the CleanFlicks group?? Any idea?