Teacher Council

tubaloth

So for those that have started doing the Teacher Council, how is it going?  

I do like the idea for the most part.  I think having a monthly meeting to motivate and prepare teachers is great.   We seem to be having some growing pains.  We only have had one meeting. 

We choose to have the meeting on Fast Sunday, easy to remember, I guess the primary has some combined sharing time so this allows the teachers to be available during the Sunday School Hour.   But we ended up having 35 teachers in the room,  were as the one for Sunday School teachers only had 8.  

The video's I have seen so far of examples of this Teacher Council didn't show 35 people in the room. 

We would like to group the youth teachers together (YM and YW)  and group the primary together, but we don't have enough class rooms big enough for that many people.  

The lessons are divided up into different sections.  Each part I think has three topics.  For some reason people were confused if we were picking a section, or the topics in the section.  

We also had confusion on how to lead the discussion to cover the areas they want (how to apply the principle to your classes,  role play the topics).   

From what I can gather actually reading the first couple of lessons, you actually covert the lesson/discussion.  Talk about how the Savior Taught.   It isn't until the end, do we then try to apply the principle.  

In my ward, we meet every Sunday (except 5th), but each person (presidency or teacher) meets only once per month.  3rd-hour teachers meet during the second hour (instead of going to Sunday School).  2nd-hour teachers meet during the 3rd hour (instead of going to RS/Priesthood).  This was discussed and decided in Ward Council.  While we liked the idea of all the youth teachers meeting together (for example), there was no way to do that during Sunday meetings, and we determined that the diversity would also be good, and that the principles apply across all age groups, even if the application doesn't.

I've been to one meeting and once the SS President got out of the way so that teachers could just discuss things (rather than answering his questions), it went quite well.

In our review in Ward Council today, we determined that we need to pick one topic / chapter and focus on that (and that the group would agree at the end of each session what their next topic would be).  e.g. Part 2: Teach by the Spirit has 6 topics / chapters - we would pick one of the 6.  Since there's no end to this plan / program, there's no rush.  We discuss what we feel like we need to, and spend as long as we choose on the topic.

FWIW

Edited by zil

As ward council, we decided that every first Sunday will be used for the Teachers’ Council. So we had ours two weeks ago and the result of this first meeting was amazing.

The leaders and teachers all agreed that we need more spiritual classes. We also agreed that technology, especially with youth, has been something difficult to deal with. So, we discussed about teaching by the Spirit and about ways to help class members to use technology properly while in Church (this last subject is not mentioned in the manual, but we all thought it was worth pondering upon).

Can’t wait ‘til the next council.

• 3 months later...

Such a learning experience. It boggles my mind to know of members who have put up roadblocks to participating in their Teaching Councils.

I was hoping that at a later date, we (I) will be able to download this to a thumb drive for those who do not get the internet.

If you haven't seen it yet, click on the picture and it will take you directly there.

We meet every 3rd Sunday. It is very daunting. The solution to everything seems to be 'go home with your students. Spend all week with them so you really get to know them'. I can't seem to get them back to earth from never-never-land. There is a lot of whining about how unfortunate we are, if only we lived somewhere else. I have tried to raise issues such as 'how do you engage the people in the back of the class? but of course the solution is: 'go home with them....' 

i have to finish watching the broadcast. Bro holland is a brilliant speaker.

How many teaching techniques can we spot in the broadcast?

anyone else who would like to add one additional comment?

why don't we ask one or two of you who have not had a chance to speak?

have everyone look for the answer to a question in a few specific verses.

have everyone do an excercise eg what how would you teach d&d chapter 4?