I could never be a God for one reason

We are told we can be exalted and gods of an infinity of spirit children and we get to live the life that God lives. There's just one major thing that scares me. I could never handle even losing one of my spirit children to not return to me. Heavenly Father had to lose Satan and 1/3 host of his spirit children to never return to Him and those that wind up in the Telestial and Terrestrial Kingdoms will never be with Heavenly Father again. As a parent, I could never handle that much emotional pain of losing that many children, because I can't even imagine being without 1 single child for eternity. It's too hard.

We know no details about how God lives.

I personally assume that God, being God, can visit and spend time with all his children. But that non-Celestial children can't dwell where he does in the Celestial Kingdom. They can't live in that realm and live that kind of life, but that does not mean God can't be with them if he wants.

Think of it this way: God wants his children to rise as high as they themselves want. The more blessings his children can qualify themselves for, the more joy he has with that child.

Watching children make mistakes and suffer is hard. It's the same in this life. But don't you want them to learn and progress and find joy in that process, and become all they can be? The alternative is to wish they remain babies. That would be nice  but that's not what people are for, to remain babies to please their parents.

Earthy parents don't live moment of every day with their grown up children either. That would probably annoy them and stifle their growth into independent beings.

Edited by tesuji

6 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I could never...

IMO, every mortal who has considered the possibility of celestial existence could complete that sentence in one way or another.  At the end of the day, however, there is no better offer.  Even if the celestial kingdom were eternal misery (which it isn't), there's nothing better.  So whatever doubts, distaste, inadequacies, etc. might stand between mortal you and the celestial kingdom, you should trust God and not let them be enough to keep you from trying to get there, because all the other options are worse.  (And if you do get there, exalted you will be very different from mortal you.)

55 minutes ago, zil said:

IMO, every mortal who has considered the possibility of celestial existence could complete that sentence in one way or another.  At the end of the day, however, there is no better offer.  Even if the celestial kingdom were eternal misery (which it isn't), there's nothing better.  So whatever doubts, distaste, inadequacies, etc. might stand between mortal you and the celestial kingdom, you should trust God and not let them be enough to keep you from trying to get there, because all the other options are worse.  (And if you do get there, exalted you will be very different from mortal you.)

It is the best offer possible. Better than we can imagine or  currently understand

I think whatever reservations the OP has at the moment will fade away once he realizes what it is 

We have to trust God, as you said

Edited by tesuji

8 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

Let me We are told we can be exalted and gods of an infinity of spirit children and we get to live the life that God lives. There's just one major thing that scares me. I could never handle even losing one of my spirit children to not return to me. Heavenly Father had to lose Satan and 1/3 host of his spirit children to never return to Him and those that wind up in the Telestial and Terrestrial Kingdoms will never be with Heavenly Father again. As a parent, I could never handle that much emotional pain of losing that many children, because I can't even imagine being without 1 single child for eternity. It's too hard.

Let me quote 2 Nephi 2:24

“But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things”.

God, the Father, knows everything. That’s one of the reasons He is God. When He gave man his agency, He knew it would drive them from Him, some temporally and others eternally. No doubt God’s desire is to bring to pass both the immortality and eternal life of man. Nevertheless, He is obedient to the laws of agency. He can’t force man to return to Him.

He is perfect in understanding, so I don’t think He suffers like we do when one of our children deviates from the path of righteousness. He is both Merciful and Just.

Let’s remember that salvation is offered to everyone and that from the highest degree in the Celestial Kingdom to the lowest degree in the Telestial Kingdom is salvation and people will progress (from degrees in the Terrestrial and Telestial worlds) and have joy anyway. Only those going to the Outta Darkness won’t have any joy. This because they used their agency in a wrong way.

We cannot understand something so deep with our relatively shallow minds.

From Isaiah 55:

¶For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

On 7/12/2016 at 0:45 AM, Zarahemla said:

We are told we can be exalted and gods of an infinity of spirit children and we get to live the life that God lives. There's just one major thing that scares me. I could never handle even losing one of my spirit children to not return to me. Heavenly Father had to lose Satan and 1/3 host of his spirit children to never return to Him and those that wind up in the Telestial and Terrestrial Kingdoms will never be with Heavenly Father again. As a parent, I could never handle that much emotional pain of losing that many children, because I can't even imagine being without 1 single child for eternity. It's too hard.

My friend - I believe you need to rethink through this.  Refusing to do good to others is not justified because some will not appreciate and participate in the good.  This is not and has never been a path to greater happiness.  This kind of thinking brings only misery.  If you think this concept through to the only possible conclusion it is the very reason that Satan made excuse for denying agency to become miserable and the definition of misery. 

The Traveler

I'm not LDS, so, of course, I can appreciate the OP. On the other hand, many of the posts here make good points. Too many Christians, regardless of denomination, sect, affiliation, etc., figure that religion is supposed to round out their lives.  This goes for many religions. Buddhists will say that meditation keeps the centered. True that--there's even a psychology therapy that tracks with it (mindfulness). Too many say that so long as their faith makes their lives more peaceful, more prosperous, more relational (instant community, right?), they'll stick with it.

The bottom line is whether or not God is real and good. If so, what expression of faith in Him does He wish me to follow? THAT is what I will do. If it leads to exaltation, so be it. If not, since I trust in his goodness, I know that what lies ahead is much better than what has passed. It's all about my relationship with the Creator.  I sup with HIm, and He with me. The communion is sweet, anointed, powerful, purposeful, and authentic. I'll take that wherever it leads me.

To the OP, you wouldn't be away from your lost children forever. You could visit them whenever you wanted and just my opinion only here, after the first billion Kolob years, you could announce a new rule: all Telestial and Terrestrial children of yours will now be allowed to advance from kingdom to kingdom.  The hardest part about this rule and the hardest part about being a loving parent is realizing that all of your children will not want to be with you, they will not all want to comply with your "house rules," curfew, diet, exercise, paying rent, working, etc. 

Here's the thing:

God doesn't run His house / kingdom by His rules at all. He doesn't even have any rules that He alone created. He obeys existing eternal law and asks us to do the same. That is all. That's the secret. To be like him, stop fighting against eternal law which has always existed (before God was God) and which will always exist. He never had the power to create Himself out of nothingness, neither did any of His Predecessors, and niether will any of his posterity either. 

Just now, prisonchaplain said:

I'm not LDS, so, of course, I can appreciate the OP. On the other hand, many of the posts here make good points. Too many Christians, regardless of denomination, sect, affiliation, etc., figure that religion is supposed to round out their lives.  This goes for many religions. Buddhists will say that meditation keeps the centered. True that--there's even a psychology therapy that tracks with it (mindfulness). Too many say that so long as their faith makes their lives more peaceful, more prosperous, more relational (instant community, right?), they'll stick with it.

The bottom line is whether or not God is real and good. If so, what expression of faith in Him does He wish me to follow? THAT is what I will do. If it leads to exaltation, so be it. If not, since I trust in his goodness, I know that what lies ahead is much better than what has passed. It's all about my relationship with the Creator.  I sup with HIm, and He with me. The communion is sweet, anointed, powerful, purposeful, and authentic. I'll take that wherever it leads me.

which is why christ and the atonement and come first in importance.