We are in a newly formed ward, and most of the callings haven't been assigned yet.  I have preferences when it comes to where I would like to serve.  Would it be weird to me to let the bishop know where I would like to serve? Would it be weird to volunteer for a calling?

9 hours ago, Southern_Bell said:

We are in a newly formed ward, and most of the callings haven't been assigned yet.  I have preferences when it comes to where I would like to serve.  Would it be weird to me to let the bishop know where I would like to serve? Would it be weird to volunteer for a calling?

My opinion:

We can either share where "we" would like to serve OR we can wait and see where we have been called to serve. Many times we will not get the calling we expected or thought we would like. These are some of the best callings that help stretch and grow us the most. I would allow the Bishopric to inquire of the Lord how the Ward should best be organized right now. While it is one thing to volunteer and say, "Bishop, I'm excited to work hard in the new Ward, please use me where needed" vs. "Bishop, I'm willing to help, but I would prefer you put me specifically here". 

So...good job wanting to help, however, I would suggest letting the calling come to you and not you to it. 

I got my current ward calling by volunteering to a former RS president. I have since worked very hard to give good value and they have never replaced me. I made my pitch by pointing out how I would save them time and effort. I did not tell them that I wanted the job because, that, they knew!

1 hour ago, Eowyn said:

The best way to get the calling you want is to complain about the person who's already doing it. ;)

Doesn't work with government.  I've complained about the Secretary of the Interior for years and they still haven't put me in the job.

(Free admission to National Parks, and I could claim camping and hiking in them as work.  What's not to like?)

Edited by NightSG

14 hours ago, Southern_Bell said:

In reality, the Bishopric would appreciate you doing that.

Good info for the Bishopric to know.  I would always appreciate knowing peoples preferences.  Even missionaries get to state some preferences on their applications.  However, do not be surprised if you get called to something entirely different than what you thought.

I have let my RS Presidency, Branch Presidency, etc. know the pros and cons of my skill(s). Of course my husband knows my strengths, abilities and more importantly my weaknesses. He is the Branch SS President. I substituted as Primary teachers.  

The entire branch was complaining about the library. No one had been called as librarian for nearly 5 years. Husband talked it over with the Branch Presidency and after about 2 days of pondering~praying, I was called as Librarian.

Took 6 months approximately to get it clean (dust, spiders, obsolete paper/manuals, etc.), organized and cross-referenced. Took myself and three members who willingly gave their time, brawn and wisdom.

I would also like to add one more calling to my church work schedule. That of VT Coordinator. After getting it all organized, and the templates set up - it is a rather easy calling time/labor wide. I did it before being called as Librarian. Really broke my heart when the then Branch President insisted that I be released. Even though I told him I easily could do both, and do them beyond well. 

The Branch has gone through 4 Coordinators since I was released. The RS Pres now is doing the calling as well as still being RS Pres., and she has reached The Point Of Diminishing Returns.

On 7/14/2016 at 9:32 PM, Southern_Bell said:

letting a bishop know that you have a certain skill set and ready to help out in an area that is served by those skills, I don't see anything wrong with at all.