Are some apostatized truths of the gospel more important / weighty than others?

Since murder and sexual sin are the worst and second worst sins a person can commit, does it stand to reason or "make reason stare" to postulate that:

- During the Savior's Atonement, He suffered specific amounts of pain for each sin, suffering the most for murder and lesser pain for lesser sins?

- some of the truths taught to Adam and Eve and their children, which were apostatized / taken and tweaked without the priesthood authority, are more...valuable / important to eternal salvation than others?

Specifically I'm thinking of eternal progression. As we grow from intelligence to spirit body to physical body with spirit body to death to resurrection (and then 1 Trillion googleplex years later) to godhood, that shows the truth of eternal progression; there never was a time when we didn't exist, in some form or another.  Now when you look at Buddhism, Hinduism and other Eastern Religions, they seem to understand eternal progression at a much higher level than people/religions in other parts of the world - like the areas that don't believe in a premortal life but believe Jesus saved everyone, even the people who lived before He was born. 

So...seems to me that claiming the Bible is all there is vs. claiming eternal progression exists (even though reincarnation is not part of that), is a closer grasp to a heavier / more important concept of the eternal gospel.

Having competed in some sports in my younger years – one of the concepts of fencing was rather interesting.  One defensive goal in fencing is to slightly alter the opponents attack just enough to prevent a score (rather than to completely block or prevent their attack) and then gain advantage of their attack momentum to win the score.  In essence, when we miss or fail short, the opposition always wins regardless of how far off the mark one is.

But I would comment on your cataloging of sin – Jesus taught that to fail to forgive another of their transgressions was a greater sin than was the initial transgression.

The Traveler

About murder and sex outside marriage:

Jeffrey R Holland, in 1988, when he was the president of BYU, said this:

“It is clear that a major concern of God in mortality is how a person enters this world and leaves it. These two important issues in our personal progress (which is carefully supervised) are the two questions that He, as our Creator, Father and Guide, reserved for Himself. Those are the two things that He has told us repeatedly never to do illegally, illicitly, unfaithfully, without sanctions”.

About the suffering of our Lord Jesus Christ:

James E. Talmage stated years ago:

“The first effect (of the atonement) is to secure to all mankind alike, exemption from the penalty of the fall, thus providing a plan of General Salvation. The second effect is to open a way for Individual Salvation whereby mankind may secure remission of personal sins” (Articles of Faith, p.78-79).

In 1 John 2:2, we read:

And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world”.

In Isaiah 1:18, we read:

“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool”.

So, although murder and fornication/adultery are sins of major concern, the atonement of Christ was performed to overcome their effects on human kind, under condition of repentance.

On 7/14/2016 at 0:35 PM, nuclearfuels said:

Since murder and sexual sin are the worst and second worst sins a person can commit, does it stand to reason or "make reason stare" to postulate that:

- During the Savior's Atonement, He suffered specific amounts of pain for each sin, suffering the most for murder and lesser pain for lesser sins?

- some of the truths taught to Adam and Eve and their children, which were apostatized / taken and tweaked without the priesthood authority, are more...valuable / important to eternal salvation than others?

Specifically I'm thinking of eternal progression. As we grow from intelligence to spirit body to physical body with spirit body to death to resurrection (and then 1 Trillion googleplex years later) to godhood, that shows the truth of eternal progression; there never was a time when we didn't exist, in some form or another.  Now when you look at Buddhism, Hinduism and other Eastern Religions, they seem to understand eternal progression at a much higher level than people/religions in other parts of the world - like the areas that don't believe in a premortal life but believe Jesus saved everyone, even the people who lived before He was born. 

So...seems to me that claiming the Bible is all there is vs. claiming eternal progression exists (even though reincarnation is not part of that), is a closer grasp to a heavier / more important concept of the eternal gospel.

A) yes it does stand to reason that Christ suffered more pain from some individuals than others. And it is also reasonable that there was an amount to the pain.... its just that it is beyond anything that we could imagine or experience in this life.

And i would say that the more truth there is in something the more valuable it is. i also think there is a sheer value in something if only for historical reasons if nothing else..... But ya you'll see the same themes and characters across almost all the old religions, tweaked and rearranged depending on which culture but still there.

On 7/14/2016 at 0:35 PM, nuclearfuels said:

murder and sexual sin are the worst and second worst sins a person can commit

They are the worst, I believe, because they are the most difficult to repent from.

Part of that is that repayment/restoration is the most difficult, even impossible in some cases.

Lehi

On 7/14/2016 at 1:35 PM, nuclearfuels said:

...does it stand to reason or "make reason stare" to postulate that:

Infinite suffering is infinite suffering.  To try to comprehend the infinite in terms of the finite makes reason stare.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2016 at 3:44 PM, Nothing said:

Kidnapping and torturing someone is worse than two unmarried adults having consensual sex. 

On 7/29/2016 at 4:24 PM, NightSG said:

Depends; am I one of them?  Because I can think of plenty of adults I'd rather be kidnapped and tortured than have sex with.

Which means that the sex would likely not be consensual.

On 7/29/2016 at 4:44 PM, Nothing said:

Kidnapping and torturing someone is worse than two unmarried adults having consensual sex. 

Only because you focus on the physical rather than the spiritual.

On the other hand, I do think there is a difference between what would otherwise be considered a common law marriage vs. people just having casual sex.

Edited by Guest

Pretty much everything you bring up has long ago been answered in the Restoration or is downright irrelevant, sorry to say.

Also, it doesn't matter if murder is SLIGHTLY more horrendous than rape or whatever other horrible sin your mind can conjure up. They BOTH are utterly terrible. Stay as far away from sin as possible, and if (sorry, WHEN) you've sinned, repent. End of story there.

"Say nothing but repentance unto this generation; keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments" - D&C 6:9

"The first principles and ordinances of the gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost." - Articles of Faith 1:4

Although there are many unknown things and mysteries of God, some of them doubtless utterly fascinating, if not downright enthralling, they are as of this moment in our progression entirely irrelevant to what we need to do and focus on and study. Heavenly Father wants us so very much to draw closer to him and be one with him in mind and spirit, and how we do that is described above. What we really need to know, what we really need to do, isn't complicated at all. It doesn't require a lifetime of searching out ancient and/or modern writings in the slightest. It's all in the scriptures. We follow Jesus Christ. We praise him, and we lovingly worship our Heavenly Father; the source of all power, light, love, and truth.

Edited by Awakened

On 7/18/2016 at 6:32 AM, Carborendum said:

Infinite suffering is infinite suffering.  To try to comprehend the infinite in terms of the finite makes reason stare.

which is a vague term. the sands of the earth and the stars of that exist are such as they are innumerable to man, yet God knows the ends and numbers thereof. mans perception and reasoning are limited... what is reason to one is insanity to another.