What things would be good to send in a care package to a missionary?

mt_mck7

So, the guy who I have had a crush on for a while (for internet safety, let's call him Elder since missionaries are always called "Elder (Insert last name)") is going to be going to the MTC on July 19th. I left him with two short and sweet notes (one of them was a letter I wrote before today that said "it was great getting to know him the past few years, serve valiantly" and "I'm gonna write you, you should write back". The other note was "I've enjoyed getting to know you and I can't wait to get to know the Elder you through letters and e-mails"). He hasn't been set apart yet, and thankfully~ I got one last hug from him before he was set apart. ((To be set apart is to be officially designated as a missionary.)) 

Anyways, I'm hoping to send him a care package once he's out of the MTC, and he's in the mission field (Mission Training Center--It's where missionaries go before they officially go out into the area they've been called to to learn the language of the land, the rules of the area they've been called to, etc). The place where Elder is going to is California (Modesto, California I believe), and so far I have two gifts that I think he might enjoy or need:

1. A big Nalgene water bottle (A whopping total of 32 ounces)
  2. A card game like Phase 10 or something similar to that (or even a simple deck of cards to play if him and his companion have down time, and are completely prepared for all the lessons that they need to give, and appointments they have assigned)

I've done some research so far as what to put in a care package, and one of the things that stood out to me was that whatever you give your missionary, you should give to your missionary's companion(s) because you don't know the circumstances of your missionary's companion. As said by Deseret News, "Sending a package with items for both missionaries will do great things for companionship morale and for your missionary’s figure" (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700040500/What-to-send-your-missionary-in-a-package.html?pg=all). 

So, what do you all think? Would buying Elder and his companion a big Nalgene water bottle and a deck of cards be good to send him? What others things could I send him to help him be a good missionary? What things do missionaries enjoy receiving from home in care packages?

Edited by mt_mck7

Who are you talking to?

Your audience here is primarily LDS, and any others understand what missionaries do and the process of their callings and settings apart.

So, again, I ask, who are you talking to? And why do we get the carbon copy?

Lehi

25 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Who are you talking to?

Your audience here is primarily LDS, and any others understand what missionaries do and the process of their callings and settings apart.

So, again, I ask, who are you talking to? And why do we get the carbon copy?

Lehi

I'm asking those who have already been on a mission what things they received that they enjoyed receiving from home, and just how to send a care package because I'm only 17, and I've never sent a care package before.

Edited by mt_mck7

I don't know that they take time to play cards. P-day is usually the missionaries in the area playing sports together, and catching up on laundry and things like that. There isn't downtime day to day for Phase 10. So I'd not send the cards. 

Send cookies and a note of encouragement. 

Don't overdo it. Don't give him the pressure of assisting you in getting to know him. The best thing you can do is ask him about his work, bear your testimony, and don't try to turn his focus to things back home. This is something he's prepared for his whole life, and he only has 2 years to make the most of it. The time to get to know each other is after his mission, if that's what's in the cards for both of you.

Edited by Eowyn

None of these parentheses is directed to an LDS audience:

1 hour ago, mt_mck7 said:

let's call him Elder since missionaries are always called "Elder (Insert last name)"

(To be set apart is to be officially designated as a missionary.)

(Mission Training Center--It's where missionaries go before they officially go out into the area they've been called to to learn the language of the land, the rules of the area they've been called to, etc).

My question to you was not about C.A.R.E.* packages. It was about who you were writing this to. We all know what these things are. Your message (not the first I've seen here using this same type of wording) looks as if you wrote it to a group who wouldn't know what missionaries were or how they're called or how they're trained.
* BTW, C.A.R.E. was originally an acronym for "Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe", now "Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere". It is a private organization whose goal was to help starving Europeans after WWII.

So, who did you write this to first?

Lehi
P.S. Yes, my antennae are up and flashing warning signals. LS

4 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

None of these parentheses is directed to an LDS audience:

My question to you was not about C.A.R.E.* packages. It was about who you were writing this to. We all know what these things are. Your message (not the first I've seen here using this same type of wording) looks as if you wrote it to a group who wouldn't know what missionaries were or how they're called or how they're trained.
* BTW, C.A.R.E. was originally an acronym for "Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe", now "Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere". It is a private organization whose goal was to help starving Europeans after WWII.

So, who did you write this to first?

Lehi
P.S. Yes, my antennae are up and flashing warning signals. LS

One of the policies on this website is to explain doctrine that Non-LDS Members might not understand. I wrote it for both people who are members and aren't members.

Guest MormonGator
34 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I don't know that they take time to play cards. P-day is usually the missionaries in the area playing sports together, and catching up on laundry and things like that. There isn't downtime day to day for Phase 10. So I'd not send the cards. 

Send cookies and a note of encouragement. 

Don't overdo it. Don't give him the pressure of assisting you in getting to know him. The best thing you can do is ask him about his work, bear your testimony, and don't try to turn his focus to things back home. This is something he's prepared for his whole life, and he only has 2 years to make the most of it. The time to get to know each other is after his mission, if that's what's in the cards for both of you.

Eowyn is really, really good at giving advice. It's like talking to that wise friend who always makes the right decisions in life. She is exactly right here.

Great question, by the way. It's so sweet of you to do this!  

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

...or maybe a friend who's just smart enough to learn from the stupid mistakes she's made. 

LOL! It's always the people who say they've made mistakes that are the ones you want to listen to.

You know that guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, says he never makes mistakes or is wrong,  and everyone should listen to every word he says but in reality, everyone ignores him? Yeah don't be him! Be @Eowyn instead. 

19 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You know that guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, says he never makes mistakes or is wrong,  and everyone should listen to every word he says but in reality, everyone ignores him?

You don't have to beat around the bush, Gator, I can take it - just say my name when you're talking about me :P

Guest LiterateParakeet

You should ask him if he can receive packages if he's outside the US.  Some countries have fees for packages coming from out of the country.  Both my sons have experienced this.  With one, the Mission President said, "No packages, please."  The other son said there is a fee, but it's not a lot of money so it doesn't matter.

Whatever you send a missionary, he has to carry around in his suitcase the rest of his mission....so best to send food! :)  Most missionaries are very active, so they love food!  Again what you send depends on the country . . .  with my son in Africa the only chocolate we can send that isn't a melted goo when it gets to him is M&M's.

Ties, and socks are generally welcome.  

Cards are against mission rules.  Food is pretty much the best bet.  

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

You don't have to beat around the bush, Gator, I can take it - just say my name when you're talking about me :P

LOL!! That's awesome .

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

\]Food is pretty much the best bet.  

We take the missionaries out for pizza monthly and they are always so appreciative. 

• 2 weeks later...

@mt_mck7,

It's best not to send durable goods (like the water bottle and playing cards).  They have limited space in their luggage and they have to keep mobile.

Get consumable goods like food.  Find out what he likes (some candies, beef jerky?)  I know most missionaries in my mission loved various flavored beef jerky.  But mix it up a bit.  Send jerke one month, then candy another, then cookies that will endure mailing, then jerky again...

On 7/18/2016 at 7:00 AM, LiterateParakeet said:

You should ask him if he can receive packages if he's outside the US.  Some countries have fees for packages coming from out of the country.  Both my sons have experienced this.  With one, the Mission President said, "No packages, please."  The other son said there is a fee, but it's not a lot of money so it doesn't matter.

Whatever you send a missionary, he has to carry around in his suitcase the rest of his mission....so best to send food! :)  Most missionaries are very active, so they love food!  Again what you send depends on the country . . .  with my son in Africa the only chocolate we can send that isn't a melted goo when it gets to him is M&M's.

Ties, and socks are generally welcome.  

Cards are against mission rules.  Food is pretty much the best bet.  

Doggonit!  you already said what I was saying.

I don't remember cards being against mission rules. Has that been a recent addition?  Oops, now Lehi is going to get on his soapbox about playing cards.

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

cookies that will endure mailing

Make sure cookies are about the size of the inner diameter of a Pringles* can.  Wrap / roll cookies in wax paper (or the little bubble wrap - make cookies smaller for that), insert roll into Pringles can, insert Pringles can into box.  Cookies arrive in good shape.  This is how my mom sent us cookies when my brothers were on their missions and when I was at college.

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Oops, now Lehi is going to get on his soapbox about playing cards.

Pretty sure it was a prophet on that soapbox before him.

Edited by zil
*Added bonus = excuse to eat Pringles

3 minutes ago, zil said:

Make sure cookies are about the size of the inner diameter of a Pringles can.  Wrap / roll cookies in wax paper (or the little bubble wrap - make cookies smaller for that), insert roll into Pringles can, insert Pringles can into box.  Cookies arrive in good shape.  This is how my mom sent us cookies when my brothers were on their missions and when I was at college.

Pretty sure it was a prophet on that soapbox before him.

That Pringles thing is an awesome idea!  I never thought of that.

I realize some prophets have said some things about it.  But the playing cards is one of Lehi's soapbox issues.  What am I saying?  Everything is a soapbox issue for him (c.f. Harrison Ford's mishap).

19 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

the playing cards is one of Lehi's soapbox issues.

Only because of the prophets who've mentioned it.

20 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Everything is a soapbox issue for him (c.f. Harrison Ford's mishap).

That's neither true nor fair.

It isn't Ford's "mishap" that was the issue there, it was the undue focus thereon. I mean, why spend time worrying about something that's a total non-issue: the leg's completely healed. It wasn't a problem before the "announcement", and those most worried about it didn't even notice it isn't an issue now (with all the healing having gone on).

Yes, I like to make people think beyond their prejudices. That doesn't make everything a soapbox issue.

Lehi

3 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Only because of the prophets who've mentioned it.

That's neither true nor fair.

It isn't Ford's "mishap" that was the issue there, it was the undue focus thereon. I mean, why spend time worrying about something that's a total non-issue: the leg's completely healed. It wasn't a problem before the "announcement", and those most worried about it didn't even notice it isn't an issue now (with all the healing having gone on).

Yes, I like to make people think beyond their prejudices. That doesn't make everything a soapbox issue.

Lehi

I love you, Dad.:rolleyes:

Edited by Guest

Guest LiterateParakeet
6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Doggonit!  you already said what I was saying.

I don't remember cards being against mission rules. Has that been a recent addition?  Oops, now Lehi is going to get on his soapbox about playing cards.

Well, okay I should clarify.  They didn't specifically mention cards, my son's calls did say only to bring what was suggested in the booklet (they send an instruction booklet that is very helpful!)  They said "no games, sports equipment, or musical instruments (unless you have permission from your mission president."  That's how I remember it.