Punishment in Mortality... Or Not?

slamjet

2 hours ago, slamjet said:

Consequences of choices in mortality then in the end, punishment for the non-penitent and delivery from judgement for the penitent.

My problem with this is that it seems to take God out of our mortality.  Or limits him to either doing nothing (let the consequence follow) or helping us (blessing), but he can't hinder (punish) us.  That idea doesn't sit well with me.

On 22/07/2016 at 7:01 PM, slamjet said:

I'm being threatened with having to give a talk in August and in contemplating this, I've been trying to get my head prepared for the inevitable.  However, I'm having an issue with the term "punishment."  In October 1980 talk, Elder Packer stated that "We may foolishly bring unhappiness and trouble, even suffering upon ourselves. These are not always to be regarded as penalties imposed by a displeased Creator. They are part of the lessons of life, part of the test."  Also, in 2 Nephi 2:26 where it states that " ...save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day... .I've been trying to hone in on punishments and penalties and from what I've been able to read in the scriptures, I believe it's safe to say that while in morality, there is no punishment, that is not going to happen until the time of judgement after the resurrection.  So if punishment isn't technically in play while on earth, then we're not yet subject to penalties.  Besides, the Atonement has answered the law which includes, for the repentant, escape from suffering punishment and penalties. 

So if all this being the case, what do we call the consequences of sin in mortality, suffering?  Aversion therapy?  Or am I totally off the mark?

Oh, gush, I’m sorry you're being threatened LOL

By the way, I love to give talks! 

I’d like to quote Professor Andrew C. Skinner, from Neal A. Maxuell Institute, who said the following about reward and punishment in this life:

“Righteousness and wickedness are not and cannot be immediately and constantly rewarded or punished. Such constant interference in the lives of men and women would [frustrate] the plan of salvation and the purposes for which earthly life was design: to allow individuals to exercise patience, to walk by faith and to be tested” (The Nature and Character  of God. BYU Campus Education Week, April 11 2006).