Near Death Experiences

6 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Do you believe they're actual connections with the spirit world, or do you think they're just someone's mind playing tricks on them?

Yes.

Lehi

I had a heart attack last Sunday after church. The ambulance went to the wrong house...so was delayed getting to my house. My husband saved my life as he allowed the Lord to work through him.

I can tell you for sure that there is a connection with the spirit world. Could it be a trick of the mind? Maybe... but, unless it has happened to you then you could never truly understand it. i truly believe it.

13 minutes ago, AngelMarvel said:

I had a heart attack last Sunday after church. The ambulance went to the wrong house...so was delayed getting to my house. My husband saved my life as he allowed the Lord to work through him.

I can tell you for sure that there is a connection with the spirit world. Could it be a trick of the mind? Maybe... but, unless it has happened to you then you could never truly understand it. i truly believe it.

I'm so glad you're okay! 

33 minutes ago, Awakened said:

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. I do know though that such experiences, when they are true, are meant for that individual alone and are NOT to be talked about lightly, if at all.

I was going to say, I think we wouldn't hear from most people who have such experiences. 

37 minutes ago, AngelMarvel said:

AngelMarvel, I'm so glad you are still with us.

While I think there are many who have experiences due to the circumstances with medication in their body at the time, and others who lie about it for the attention, to write a book, personal gain in some way; I do believe there are still others who truly do have experiences that interact with another realm or spirit world including those who have passed over before us.  However, I don't think people who truly have those experiences usually talk about it except to those close to them and not much. My Grandma was one and although I was on the fence before that (I have read some incredibly believable stories but wasn't really ready to believe them 100%) after November 2007, I believe some do. 

Edited by Budget

A couple classic books:

Life After Life, by Moody

Return From Tomorrow, by Ritchie

I love NDE stories because who doesn't want to know! And I figure the more you know about the next life, the more wisely you can live this one.

I tend to think they are real, not some kind of brain effect. As the Moody book details, these stories often share consistent elements, and align with what we know as LDS.

However, I take them with a huge grain of salt and never let them trump solid gospel teachings. I consider what I learn from them as tentative only.

Some of them have wierd twists that strike me as false. Maybe they are embellished or invented in some cases. I also suspect people perceive see only what they are ready to perceive, and experience it all through very subjective mental filters. 

It is not necessary to have a near death experience in order to view and experience things in the "spirit world".  What takes place in the spirit world is part of the "Plan of Salvation" and "Gospel of Jesus Christ".  Most of the truths revealed concerning the spirit world are part of divine covenant and as such are related to the order of the priesthood which require keys.  On occasion there are things revealed to individuals and are not part of the community of saints.  Those that receive such revelation are instructed to “seal” up such things – meaning among other things that it is not published or made public.

I do not believe any published or publicly open accounts.  Especially those that seem legitimate death or near death experiences.  As a person approaches death it is not uncommon for there to be a conflict of what is real between clean and unclean spirits in the presents of the individual.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

I think the following quote from President Nelson’s conference address last April is definitive proof that there is at least one kind of connection between this life and the spirit world. I realize that the OP is about near death experiences, and the kind of experience related by President Nelson is not what we normally refer to as a near death experience, but it does show that there is at least one type of connection between here and the spirit world, and this raises the possibility that if there is at least one type of connection, there could easily be others.

Then one night last May, I was awakened by those two little girls from the other side of the veil. Though I did not see or hear them with my physical senses, I felt their presence. Spiritually, I heard their pleadings. Their message was brief and clear: “Brother Nelson, we are not sealed to anyone! Can you help us?

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04/the-price-of-priesthood-power?lang=eng