Romney's 'God gap' bigger/better than Trumps

prisonchaplain

Many here, and broadly, in LDS circles, believe that Evangelicals (and, perhaps traditional Christians in general) caused Romney to loose in 2012, because they would not vote for a Mormon. Turns out he did much better than Trump is currently with "The God Gap." 

a Pew Research Center survey released this month showed the overall “God gap” shrinking significantly, with registered voters who attend religious services at least weekly leaning to Trump by a 49-45 percent margin over Clinton. That is far smaller than the 55-40 percent advantage that Republican Mitt Romney held over President Obama at the same point in 2012.

Not sure what to make of 2012, but I agree that most of my Evangelical/Pentecostal friends are much more frustrated this year than we were four-years ago.

This is gratifying to see; because I saw a poll in the last week or two saying that Trump was doing better than Romney was among "evangelicals".  I suppose the takeaway from this is that Trump gets decent support from those who call themselves evangelicals; but when it comes to actual churchgoers he doesn't do so well.

7 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Many here, and broadly, in LDS circles, believe that Evangelicals (and, perhaps traditional Christians in general) caused Romney to loose in 2012, because they would not vote for a Mormon. Turns out he did much better than Trump is currently with "The God Gap." 

a Pew Research Center survey released this month showed the overall “God gap” shrinking significantly, with registered voters who attend religious services at least weekly leaning to Trump by a 49-45 percent margin over Clinton. That is far smaller than the 55-40 percent advantage that Republican Mitt Romney held over President Obama at the same point in 2012.

Not sure what to make of 2012, but I agree that most of my Evangelical/Pentecostal friends are much more frustrated this year than we were four-years ago.

I find this hard to reconcile with the particular evangelical leaders who endorsed Trump over Cruz during the primaries, but those same leaders continually condemned Romney during the primaries and then did an about face only after he clinched the nomination.

The only think I can figure is that evangelicals tend not to listen much to these purported "leaders".