If you could start over anywhere...

42 minutes ago, Godless said:

Austin is quickly becoming overcrowded. There might still be a good job market for web designers, but overall it doesn't have the infrastructure to support the mass influx of new residents over the last several years.

And there's way too many hipsters. Eeeew.

Liberals, overcrowding -  sounds like the formula for a light rail mass transit system. I wonder if they're talking about it?

Not too many hipsters in suburbs like Round Rock I assume?

Edited by tesuji

Boise comes up in those best places lists too, but maybe it's too small

All the places I have listing are smaller cities that have a lot of tech jobs. But yeah telecommuting would let you live anywhere. Flexjjobs.com looked like maybe a decent place to find remote jobs

Edited by tesuji

1 hour ago, Hemisphere said:

Well Portland is quite the place as the city is web friendly ( big computer corporations have their seat there as well) and the city is quite innovative and advanced. 

We were in Portland recently, and our impression was that they like dogs more than children. We have one dog and five children.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I was hippy (not a hippy) before it was hip to be a hipster.

At least you aren't one of those punks who grows a mohawk and then tries to say they were punk before punk was punk. They were punk before Johnny Rotten was. 

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

At least you aren't one of those punks who grows a mohawk and then tries to say they were punk before punk was punk. They were punk before Johnny Rotten was. 

I don't even know what they're saying.

1 hour ago, Hemisphere said:

Here is the thing, 

when you live in Germany, you are guaranteed affordable or sometimes free day care. schools are less restrictive. Plus there is big companies in bavaria and munich is quite a hubub in terms of fashion and anything that needs promoting. There is alos a powerhouse industry in Badenwürtemberg. If you desire to work you could start a business and see with whatever you like to do with a free limit on what you can earn before it get taxed.  As for meical benefits, you can insure yourself and your spouse for 150 bucks a month under certain conditions but kids till 18 are always under the umbrella of the insurance of their parents and covered.  retirement should be done privately but then again here is conservative products that yield. In the US you should look toward Edward Jones. They do a fine job. 

If I moved to Germany I would think about living in Rheinfelden, but work just over the border in Basel, Switzerland. Wages are much higher in Switzerland, but cost of living in less in Germany.

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, tesuji said:

Liberals, overcrowding -  sounds like the formula for a light rail mass transit system. I wonder if they're talking about it?

Not too many hipsters in suburbs like Round Rock I assume?

I think there's been talk of an Austin-to-SA rail system (great idea), but I haven't heard anything about an internal rail for Austin. And there's not much of anything in Round Rock, IIRC. I'm pretty sure their biggest attraction is IKEA, and I'm not joking.

35 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Aren't you a hipster? I saw you...um..doing hip things once. 

Bite your tongue!

33 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

We were in Portland recently, and our impression was that they like dogs more than children. We have one dog and five children.

Austin is basically the TX version of Portland. 

Edited by Godless

7 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Why 'not too many lds' don't you like us? Me sad now!

Oh, I said there doesn't have to be a lot of lds people. I love (most of) the people of the Church!

50 minutes ago, classylady said:

If I moved to Germany I would think about living in Rheinfelden, but work just over the border in Basel, Switzerland. Wages are much higher in Switzerland, but cost of living in less in Germany.

I've heard it's hard for Americans to find a job in European countries like Germany. True?

Also that you need a degree specifically in your field. And that German companies tend to be rigidly hierarchical. True?

Edited by tesuji

6 minutes ago, tesuji said:

I've heard it's hard for Americans to find a job in European countries like Germany. True?

Also that you need a degree specifically in your field. And that German companies tend to be rigidly hierarchical. True?

I'm not an expert, but I have heard the same thing.

Edit: I was in Rheinfelden, Germany in December visiting a dear friend. Her son also lives in Rheinfelden but works in Basel Switzerland. He makes a much higher wage than what he could get in Germany. From what they were saying, it's even hard for a German to find work in Switzerland.

They also talked about the mind-set of most workers in Germany. They claimed that here in the US many people are more open to wanting to go into business for themselves or explore MLM's. In Germany the worker wants to find a company to work for and have their job for life and retirement guaranteed rather than taking a risk.

Edited by classylady

53 minutes ago, Godless said:

I think there's been talk of an Austin-to-SA rail system (great idea), but I haven't heard anything about an internal rail for Austin. And there's not much of anything in Round Rock, IIRC. I'm pretty sure their biggest attraction is IKEA, and I'm not joking.

Bite your tongue!

I'm thinking Eoweyn would choose to live in the family friendly suburbs. And she has all of the rest of conservative Texas surrounding her

Edited by tesuji

Guest Godless
11 minutes ago, tesuji said:

I'm thinking Eoweyn would choose to live in the family friendly suburbs. And she has all of the rest of conservative Texas surrounding her

But that would mean commuting in and out of Austin daily, and that is NOT a fun commute.

3 hours ago, Godless said:

Bite your tongue!

You're forgetting the Round Rock Express: 

http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t102

The Express is Round Rock's very own Minor League Baseball team. 

2 hours ago, Backroads said:

Bear Lake vicinity. Maybe Rich County specifically, but anywhere in the area would be good.

2nd Choice: Cache Valley.

I have an affinity for small-town Utah so long as it's in a reasonably green place.  Cache Valley would be my first choice.