If you could start over anywhere...

On 8/4/2016 at 4:51 PM, Eowyn said:

Texas has a better job market and lower cost of living than many other places. We have a few friends who have moved there for those reasons.

That's why I moved to Houston.

Mine would be somewhere that it doesn't snow and the average temp is around 75 degrees with no humidity.  I'm starting to sound like I'd like to move back to my home town of San Diego.  Yep..that's it.

Guest Godless
10 hours ago, pam said:

Mine would be somewhere that it doesn't snow and the average temp is around 75 degrees with no humidity.  I'm starting to sound like I'd like to move back to my home town of San Diego.  Yep..that's it.

I would love to live in San Diego if we could ever afford it.

Edited by Godless

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:42 PM, Eowyn said:

If you were going to pull up your roots and take your family to start a life somewhere else, where would that be? (I mean reasonable places that your average middle-class family could conceivably move to.)

To be honest there is very little I would change in my life.  I have been several places that I did not enjoy (for example – Fort Polk in Louisiana while serving in the military).  But even the difficult and unpleasant places have contributed to my life’s lessons and though I would not want to do such things again – I would not change having gone through the experience.

The one thing I would change in my life concerns a girl I knew growing up from grade school to high school.  She had polio as a youngster and could only walk with the aid of crutches.   I never realized at the time that she never got asked to a dance.  I thought she would not want to be asked – but later found out that this was a great sorrow in her life.  I regret and if I could change anything – I would have dated her and taken her to all the important dances.  I do not remember but few of the young ladies I did take to dances – I would have remembered fondly the dances had I taken Betty.

The Traveler

12 hours ago, pam said:

I do not think I would ever want to face a winter without skiing.  From my desk to Snowbird is less than 20 minutes (including changing to ski garb).  However, I think my wife would be most happy to live in San Diego.  Is this a girl thing?

The Traveler

12 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I have been several places that I did not enjoy (for example – Fort Polk in Louisiana while serving in the military).

Fort Polk would be a wonderful place … if it were somewhere else.

Lehi

On 8/4/2016 at 7:42 AM, Eowyn said:

If you were going to pull up your roots and take your family to start a life somewhere else, where would that be? (I mean reasonable places that your average middle-class family could conceivably move to.)

As reported by the BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29531850

Its a little dated (2014) but there is probably still a lot of truth in it. And it seems to come from a reputable source.

Canberra in Australia is the best city in the world to live, according to a report by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

Canberra is the only city in the Australian Capital Territory, which led the regional ranking. Australia led the country rankings, followed by Norway.

The OECD ranked 362 regions of its 34 member nations in its survey.

It used nine measures of well-being, including income, education, jobs, safety, health and environment.

Canberra is not, as you might believe, a desolate wasteland of bleak suburbia Anthony Sharwood, Columnist, News.com.au

Five Australian cities including Sydney, Melbourne and Perth were also in the top 10.

Other top-scoring places included the states of New Hampshire and Minnesota in the US.

On the other end of the scale, Mexican states constituted all 10 of the bottom regional rankings.

On a country level, Mexico, Turkey, Hungary, Poland,  Slovakia were ranked as the hardest places to live.

7 minutes ago, UtahTexan said:

Yikes

As a former Army guy....Ft. Polk?  

Not sure where you're coming from (or going to) here.

I was on temporary duty at Polk for a major exercise when a hurricane blew in. They shut the whole place down and we went home, after spending millions of dollars on the planning, transportation and so on.

It is a beautiful place, but it's surrounded by a dump of a town, Leesville. Typical Army trap: used car dealerships, bars, pawn shops, and strip clubs. And snakes. No, real snakes. We had to move our signal center because of an infestation of rattlers and copperheads. Even the noise of two 60kW generators running night and day wasn't enough to drive them away.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

15 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Not sure where you're coming from (or going to) here.

I was on temporary duty at Polk for a major exercise when a hurricane blew in. They shut the whole place down and we went home, after spending millions of dollars on the planning, transportation and so on.

It is a beautiful place, but it's surrounded by a dump of a town, Leesville. Typical Army trap: used car dealerships, bars, pawn shops, and strip clubs. And snakes. No, real snakes. We had to move our signal center because of an infestation of rattlers and copperheads. Even the noise of two 60kW generators running night and day wasn't enough to drive them away.

Lehi

I served in the Army.  I always felt Ft. Polk and Ft. Leonardwood were the worst.  Ft. Sill was not great, but doable...I spent 3 years there.  Also did Ft. Hood.

Ft. Lewis was pretty nice.

I also served at Ft. Clayton, Panama and Soto Cano Airbase, Honduras

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, UtahTexan said:

I served in the Army. ]

Thank you for your service to the country. I never served but I have great respect for those who have. 

Guest Godless
27 minutes ago, UtahTexan said:

I served in the Army.  I always felt Ft. Polk and Ft. Leonardwood were the worst.  Ft. Sill was not great, but doable...I spent 3 years there.  Also did Ft. Hood.

Ft. Lewis was pretty nice.

I also served at Ft. Clayton, Panama and Soto Cano Airbase, Honduras

You haven't seen desolation until you've been to some of the backwoods dumps they put Reserve bases. Ft McCoy (WI) and Camp Atterbury (IN) make Leonardwood and Hood look like paradise.