EDC Everyday Carries, the first step to preparedness

Hemisphere

The church recommends to be prepared in case of disaster or anything likely that would come close to civil unrest or any situation where the civil order is disturbed and interrupted for undetermined periods of time. While having a 72 hour kit recommended, we often sometimes find ourselves caught far away from it, either at work or in traffic or some other circumstances. Some us have one and some us are in the process of establishing it. Some may find it hard due to financial strain to get there. 

What I would love to suggest to those who haven´t heard of it or who want to make first steps to get acquainted with the topic, would be an every day carry kit. Something you carry on your personage that gets you home to your 72 hour kit or at least provides you with a means of not being completely helpless. It will cost significantly less then a full 72 hour kit but could still range in cost depending on your personal preferences towards material. 

I do recommend that you get a pouch or a small case that you can carry on your belt or in your bag ( if you are a lady) Usually I would recommend Tasmanian Tiger as it is a solid brand that is durable and of high quality. Within you can store medicine you need or should have in case something happens ( aspirin, diarrhea medication, salt tablets etc.) What I also recommend is a thermal blanket. small enough to fit in there it can keep you either from heat or cold when you get stuck and cant light a fire. Some gauze you will find in mine for minor injuries, along with a fire steel to light fires. Not to forget would be a small flash light. 

Very important however would still be a knife. You can obtain decent knives for as little as 30$ already ( look into Mora of Sweden) which you can carry, if you have to means and do live in a very urban environment then you would be best served with a multitool, though leatherman is a very good tool, you will find that it will cost accordingly. A middle way here would be the all known Swiss army knife, as it has for a good price decent appliances that will come in handy in the different situations. 

There is more to add of course however what you will it with depends on your personal need and attitude. Some kits differ from other. While EDC's can contain fire arms some are more geared towards bugging out with maximum evasion in mind for that matter ( shout out to Lehi for pointing out I was using a wrong vocabulary before my edit) , Especially if you live outside the US where laws for guns and weapons are more restrictive. 

If this interests you and have questions. I will be happy to assist you or provide you with the lead to follow up on your own. Naturally I will adhere to the forums rules and not post pictures that would be akin to commercial, however I am willing to snap a picture or to and upload to a place of your choosing. 

Edited by Hemisphere

57 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

While EDC's can contain fire arms some are more civil in that matter

Obviously, those who carry firearms would disagree that carrying such weapons is uncivil, as you imply. I might hazard a guess that the people in the Jewish deli in France would have hoped that there had been some uncivil person whose EDC included a 9mm Luger. And delis are not the only places where such incivility would be counted highly desirable.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

I generally carry:

• a gun with an extra magazine  Small .380 pocket pistol.
  • a knife
  • a multitool
  • a cell phone
  • a flashlight,
  • a zippo lighter
  • my wallet
  • my car keys
  • a pen

My keys have a vial of consecraed oil, and a small pill container with varous OTC medicines in it as well as a backup hot spark firestarter. 

I also wear a watch, and If I can find the sun, can use the time and the position of the sun to determine direction. 

In addition, 

If my lung issue is acting up (asthma I think, but it hasn't been diagnosed) I'll carry an albuterol inhaler. 

If I'm going someplace away from civilization, I'll also carry a whistle, a compass, and a signal mirror.  

If I'm going to be spending a long time riding in a car instead of driving, I'll carry a mini MP3 player. 

If I'm at all unsure about what kind of people I'll encounter, I'll also carry my .45 with an extra 4 magazines.

Of course these things are what are on my person.  My car has somewhat more.

Before I got married, and my wife objected to the vest I liked to wear (it looks like a fishing vest), I also carried:

• A notebook
  • A small first aid kit
  • A sharpie
  • A couple of extra knives
  • A mechanical pencil
  • An eraser
  • a usb flash drive
  • more meds
  • a comb

I probably had more things, but that was a while ago and I can't remember so much. 

Thank you brother, that is most insightful. Unfortunately the laws in Germany are very restrictive when it comes to knives and guns. I for one would love to have it liberalized but the communists and greens in my country are quite intent to have the populace remain unarmed despite Germany having the strictest gun laws in the world. For aforementioned reasons, I will not state entirely what I have in my EDC but lets remain with saying it has an edge than most expected ( I would hate for a someone stumble over and rat me out with a statement that could get me in trouble )

8 hours ago, Hemisphere said:

Thank you brother, that is most insightful. Unfortunately the laws in Germany are very restrictive when it comes to knives and guns. I for one would love to have it liberalized but the communists and greens in my country are quite intent to have the populace remain unarmed despite Germany having the strictest gun laws in the world. For aforementioned reasons, I will not state entirely what I have in my EDC but lets remain with saying it has an edge than most expected ( I would hate for a someone stumble over and rat me out with a statement that could get me in trouble )

Restrictive laws can be a problem, and keeping your mouth shut about things you carry in such an environment is a very good idea.  I live in Idaho.  Idaho just changed it's law (effective July 1 this year) that a permit is no longer needed to carry a concealed weapon, and it is specifically written into the Idaho constitution that there can be no legislation to prevent carrying openly, so I can be a little freer with what I say online. As far as other states go, I the standard Idaho permit is is recognized in about 25 of them. 

Again, you have my absolute envy in that regard ( and for those fine potatoes  =)  ) Unfortunately we had a couple more killings. Some migrants killed people with a bomb, and an axe and some immigrated kid bought a gun off the darknet and now the before mentioned parties in question would love to take them all away ( never mind that even if it were banned, that the gunlobby would have it reversed so it could sell again ), same goes for that drunkard of a EU commission president Juncker who has no clue about what he is talking about and taking away guns from law abiding citizen will not deter pro-criminals from obtaining them and the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with another gun. 

Unfortunately, one has to come up with a lot of work arounds when it gets to the topic of prepping and self defense. Unfortunately I am ahead of my time as none of the majority of people believe that stocking up on food and other supplies would ever be necessary... fools. the whole lot of them. 

Anyway, I hope someone gets curious enough to actually start with one in order to prepare as the church recommends it ( though I think the recommendation of the church is a bit too soft on their side ) 

On 8/6/2016 at 1:25 PM, kapikui said:

Idaho just changed it's law (effective July 1 this year) that a permit is no longer needed to carry a concealed weapon,
...the standard Idaho permit is is recognized in about 25 of them. 

So, obvious question - if Idaho doesn't require permits to carry, will it continue to issue them anyway?

My county in CO finished some serious thinking about the issue a few years back, and we all decided permits were better, mainly because they're so useful in other states.

8 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

So, obvious question - if Idaho doesn't require permits to carry, will it continue to issue them anyway?

My county in CO finished some serious thinking about the issue a few years back, and we all decided permits were better, mainly because they're so useful in other states.

Most likely.  Most states that have gone to constitutional carry other than Vermont (Vermont never had any restriction or permit) have continued to issue permits.  Idaho currently has a standard and enhanced concealed carry license.  The advantage is that you can carry in about 25 states on the standard permit, and about 27 (last I checked) with the enhanced.  University campuses are also off limits without the enhanced permit.  It's also lucrative to issue the license and people will continue to get them for the added benefit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Your 72 hour kit should be designed and carried/stored in such a manner as to get you home to your food storage.

My thoughts on the whole topic can be found here:  preppercop.blogspot.com

EDC for me includes a Glock 17, a spare magazine, cell phone, Oakley sunglasses, reading glasses, my badge and my police ID.  That is what is on my person.  The police car is loaded with stuff, the pov not as much stuff.

• 3 months later...

It's interesting to ask someone if they have EDC and have them tell me no.  Then I ask if they carry a cell phone?  Anything different in their purse or wallet?  Something special on their key chain?  Most of us have EDC items, we've just never identified them as an EDC system.  I carry many things I feel I need on my person.  Then each of our vehicles has a get home bag.  Like Mirkwood, my thoughts on this is on my blog:  ldsgunsite.blogspot.com

It's all just verbiage, but I call my EDC what I carry on my person.  Then my get home bag is designed just to get me home from work or town.  Our bugout bag is our 72 hour kit in case we have to evacuate.  The rest is preparedness at home. 

EDC is a gun and spare mag, a multi-tool, a flashlight, firesteel, tactical pen, tweezers, some paracord, oil vial, P38 can opener, Carabiner.