Temple endowment and heaven question?

I won't go into specific temple content but we learn signs and tokens needed to pass through the veil in the temple. In real life when we die and are trying to enter the presence of God, do you think we will really give the signs and tokens like we learn in the temple or will it be simply you were good you can enter. What do you think?

8 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

In real life when we die and are trying to enter the presence of God, do you think we will really give the signs and tokens like we learn in the temple or will it be simply you were good you can enter.

Yea, verily.

The "Lecture Before the Veil" (now incorporated into the introduction) tells us that it is so. I believe it.

Lehi

8 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I won't go into specific temple content but we learn signs and tokens needed to pass through the veil in the temple. In real life when we die and are trying to enter the presence of God, do you think we will really give the signs and tokens like we learn in the temple or will it be simply you were good you can enter. What do you think?

Absolutely – the covenants made and the knowledge gained by ordinance at the L-rd’s university (the temple) are 100% necessary in order to advance and prepare for resurrection.  One little example – part of the symbolism of taking on a covenant with G-d has to do with one bending their nick and bowing their head.  The Book of Mormon is very explicit that those with “stiff nicks” that refuse such symbolic acceptance of covenants; that they will not advance to be free from sin but will be condemned by their sins.  No one enters G-d's presents that is not willing to covenent with G-d to live according to laws of that kingdom.

Why are such simple things so difficult for you?

The Traveler

6 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I'm happy I've memorized everything done in the endowment session and what you do and say. Before I was worried if I didn't, I wouldn't pass to the Celestial Kingdom.

I used to worry the same. Isn't anxiety great? 

Let me tell you and experience I had that started to change my view. I went to a live session for the first time. The guy playing the part of Heavenly Father kept forgetting or messing up his lines. Guess what happened? Not much. Other cast members stepped in and helped him, and the ordinance went on without any problem. 

I started then noticing how many helpers are in the temple. Literally you can't turn around anywhere in the temple (except maybe a bathroom) without seeing a worker who is ready and eager to help, or goodness, even a patron who would happily assist in whatever you need. Then I started feeling that in the temple, I am very, very much not alone. What has followed for me is the blessing of witnessing or being a part of many incidences where helpers were always there. 

I don't know for sure if that means we'll literally have people there to guide us, but it wouldn't surprise me. (After all, what about people who had to scrimp and save just to be able to go to the temple once in their whole lives?) Besides, it's not like a person who had never been a part of those ordinances could just cheat their way through. I think there will be organization and processes in place enough to know who is who... much like we have someone standing sentinel at the front desk to be sure only current recommend holders enter. 

Even if we don't have physical help, and again I'm not totally sure that's the case, I do know that we will be free of these mortal cages we live in, and any limitations we have that cause us to forget exact sequence or wording will be will be gone from us. 

Zarahemla, I understand how mental illness affects our thinking. I also understand that we have power over our thinking, but it takes time and work and practice to train ourselves to work out of these times that we spin into anxious thought patterns. So I would encourage you to focus on one thing: God's love for you. He loves you so immeasurably. He sets the system up for us to succeed, not fail. He wants us to have every help and every opportunity for success and joy that we can have. Trust Him. Trust that He knows you. Trust that He thinks of everything you worry about before you even do. 

Continue to go to the temple and learn all you can, certainly, but not because of a fear of forgetting and losing your place in Heaven, Go to partake of the blessings that you can have now by attending. Go for the peace and learning you can have now. Consider the lilies, brother. Trust Him. If you are on the right path, and I think you are trying your best to be, He is there to guide you along. 

As quoted in the booklet, Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple:

Let me give you a definition in brief. Your endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of the Lord, which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being able to give them the key words, the signs and tokens, pertaining to the holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation in spite of earth and hell. (Discourses of Brigham Young, comp. John A. Widtsoe [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1971], page 416.)

13 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

Great question!

D&C 132:18 says the following:

And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife, and make a covenant with her for time and for all eternity, if that covenant is not by me or by my word, which is my law, and is not sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, through him whom I have anointed and appointed unto this power, then it is not valid neither of force when they are out of the world, because they are not joined by me, saith the Lord, neither by my word; when they are out of the world it cannot be received there, because the angels and the gods are appointed there, by whom they cannot pass; they cannot, therefore, inherit my glory; for my house is a house of order, saith the Lord God.

2 Nephi 9:41 says this:

O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.

I think these verses somehow give us an insightful clue about the ‘why’ of the signs and tokens we receive in the temple and the afterlife.

My short version of that question is yes I believe you will need all that we are taught in the temple. Else why do temple work for the dead , I have known at times when the person I was doing the work for was there and learning the things with me.  Think about it do you think you preformed ordinances before coming here. There is one that is preformed in the temple that prepares us to minister to our posterity.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:47 AM, Zarahemla said:

I'm happy I've memorized everything done in the endowment session and what you do and say. Before I was worried if I didn't, I wouldn't pass to the Celestial Kingdom.

Consider this:  https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/9.14?lang=eng#13

If we have a perfect knowledge of all we've done, I think you'll be able to remember all that you've learned in the temple.  For me, I believe this means that when we're in a resurrected body, we will no longer be subject to the limitations of this life.  Everything will be available to us... good and bad...  Perfect recall of ALL we did, experienced, etc.  So if you approach the judgement seat with anything unresolved, you're not going to be able to claim that you can't remember it.  So keep repenting now!  :)  You'll be glad you did.  But don't worry so much about weather you'll remember what to say and do.  Worry more about KEEPING your covenants and return to the temple often so that the Spirit of Elijah can edify, strengthen and teach you so that you can BECOME the type of person who can face the Savior and feel great joy in his presence, rather than shame for not doing what you could have done.

Don't know.  Don't care.  I'll do everything I can to learn all I can about the endowment and remember all I can about the ceremony.

When I get there, I'm sure I'll find out the reality.