Favorite N. Utah temples?

I'm making something of a sabbatical this weekend to Utah. My niece is getting married, which was the real motivation for going, but as my kids have school and various activities, Faramir has to stay home. I will be going solo and I'm going to try and make the most of the time. Outside of planned wedding stuff and some major time at the family history library, I want to spend time in the temple, starting on my way down there.

What are your favorite temples between the Idaho border and SLC (where I will definitely be going)? 

I know the ordinance is the same wherever you go, but this is a unique opportunity for me and I'd like to take advantage. 

Logan, I think is the obvious choice.  I love it, and well worth a stop to visit.  (And you might consider visiting the tabernacle which isn't really near the temple, but still a nice building). 

I also really like the style of the Brigham City temple, as it has two opposite spires, a style that has come back in recent years. And the Ogden temple just got renovated, and I like the Bountiful temple.  I think that's all of them. LOL

If I had to pick only one, I would do Logan.

How far south are you going?  Timpanogus is south of Salt Lake.  When I lived in Utah, my home temple was Jordan River, and it was built when I was a kid, so I have a soft spot for it.  And now you can see three temples at once there (Jordan River, Draper and Oquirrh Mountain). You might also want to consider the new Provo City temple, or even the classic Provo Temple. 

Ok, I changed my mind. Provo city. 

FYI, Jordan River is closed for renovations right now (no re-opening date), so you can scratch that one from your list.  Its patrons are attending Oquirrh Mountain (not sure if that's all, most, or some, but Oquirrh Mountain is certainly busier than usual right now).

8 hours ago, bytebear said:

How far south are you going?  Timpanogus is south of Salt Lake.  When I lived in Utah, my home temple was Jordan River, and it was built when I was a kid, so I have a soft spot for it.  And now you can see three temples at once there (Jordan River, Draper and Oquirrh Mountain). You might also want to consider the new Provo City temple, or even the classic Provo Temple. 

Ok, I changed my mind. Provo city. 

Jordan River is closed for about a year for major renovations.  That's the temple I'm assigned to.

Sorry..I didn't see that @zil had already mentioned this.  :)

8 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I'll be based in SLC, and have a certain amount of freedom. 

Ill definitely consider those. For some reason I had Timpanogus placed north of Salt Lake.

thanks!

Nope. Timpanogos is south...down in Utah Co.  :)

I know that we say that the ordinance is the same anywhere, and it technically is, but I find that I see different things in the endowment narrative in the live sessions like at Salt Lake than I see in the film. If you have never done (or are rarely have the opportunity to do) live sessions at Salt Lake or Manti (are there any other temples still doing live sessions?), then I would recommend that you take a session at one or both of those temples. I find it a different experience that highlights different aspects of the endowment ceremony.

Provo City Center is beautiful; but I'd still give a slight edge to the Payson temple.  If you aren't going that far south, I'd stick with Ogden.  I think the temples completed or renovated in the last five years or so, have tended to have more ornate interior decoration.  (I just saw the Philly temple last Friday, and . . . wow.)

Contra Bytebear, I'm not sure I would make Logan a priority.  It was gutted during a renovation forty years ago, and the interior decor is very 1970s--very little historical integrity/pioneer craftsmanship left.

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, beefche said:

Yeah, I would choose the new Provo City Center one. The Payson temple was beautiful, but that's pretty far south (well, south of Provo--still not a bad drive). 

Speaking of southern areas (with apologies for going a bit off-topic), about how long of a drive is it from Salem to SLC? My sister is getting married in the Payson Temple in January. If time and finances permit, I'm thinking about spending an evening with my wife in SLC since my parents will be around to babysit. 

13 minutes ago, Godless said:

Speaking of southern areas (with apologies for going a bit off-topic), about how long of a drive is it from Salem to SLC? My sister is getting married in the Payson Temple in January. If time and finances permit, I'm thinking about spending an evening with my wife in SLC since my parents will be around to babysit. 

It's about an hour south of Salt Lake in light traffic.

Lehi

Guest Godless
22 minutes ago, zil said:

The google maps drive time estimates are quite accurate, assuming one goes the speed-limit.  From there, you can extrapolate.

Ha! I actually never used that feature on Google before. I got lied to too many times by Mapquest back in the day. In this instance though, it appears that Google is in agreement with Lehi.

On 8/18/2016 at 9:14 AM, Godless said:

Ha! I actually never used that feature on Google before. I got lied to too many times by Mapquest back in the day. In this instance though, it appears that Google is in agreement with Lehi.

Google is so much better than Mapquest. My husband, a sworn Google lover, likes how Google even tells you which lane to get into. 

I will say, though, that Google is a little confused by the grid system in Utah. Not awfully confused, but sometimes it says things that don't make sense. But, if you look at it's maps, it's on point.

I use WAZE, which is an app and it gives you directions, but also does crowd updates, so you get instant updates on traffic, accidents, etc.  And it redirects you based on traffic patterns.  I used it to go around a major issue on the I-15 in California, and it saved me an hour of bumper to bumper, but I did get to see more of San Bernardino than I cared to.

As it turned out, I missed going to anything at all but my niece's sealing. That was okay, though. I felt it important to spend as much time with my family as I could, so that's what I did. I will be making another trip where I have more freedom to attend temples, and I've taken notes here, so thank you.