Preferred Means of Supernatural Rapid Transit

zil

On 8/21/2016 at 3:29 PM, LeSellers said:

The only "science" involved is science fiction.

Lehi

Well, the primary thing that makes me go "hmm" is that we're talking about 26,000 miles just to get to orbit, much less the space station beyond.  Is this elevator equipped with a bathroom, several restaurants, and in flight entertainment?

@zil sorry for the threadjack.

Edited by Guest

@zil Additionally, do you want them to be able to teleport to places they have never been before? Or do they have to have been there before? (whether they need to know what it looks like, or see it in their minds eye, or whether they need to leave some sort of beacon behind to be able to travel back there).

13 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Well, the primary thing that makes me go "hmm" is that we're talking about 26,000 miles just to get to orbit, much less the space station beyond.  Is this elevator equipped with a bathroom, several restaurants, and in flight entertainment?

Read it a long time ago, and it wasn't a major part of the story; just backdrop. So I have no idea.

Hypothetically, though, since we experience up to 2Gs in an elevator, and assuming it takes 26,000 miles to orbit, how long would it take at that same 2Gs the whole trip?

Lehi

53 minutes ago, rpframe said:

@zil Here is a question that may go nowhere, but may be helpful...

What is the origin/source of magic in this world? Is it a life force that flows through everything? Is it internal and comes from my body/soul? Do I channel it from a far away place/being?

Ah, I know the origin.  There are three, actually, depending on which force you mean to use.  To date, no one in all eternity has figured out a way to control one of the three.

They are forces which exist everywhere.

No, they simply exist in the universe and already have.  Uncontrolled, they do their thing naturally.  Controlled, "their thing" can be amplified.  (Each does a different "thing". I'm hesitant to give more detail publicly.)

I think the last question is answered by the previous questions.

It may help to know that I've written 4 books of approximately 180,000 words each and am about 100 pages into book 5 (so the universe is well-established).  At this point, I decided there was a logic problem and that it must be resolved before I can go further.  Figuring out this traveling method is part of the logic problem. :)

52 minutes ago, rpframe said:

@zil Additionally, do you want them to be able to teleport to places they have never been before? Or do they have to have been there before? (whether they need to know what it looks like, or see it in their minds eye, or whether they need to leave some sort of beacon behind to be able to travel back there).

They must know the destination extremely well - well enough to envision or imagine it as a specific, distinct location.  As for the definition of "know": a known object at that location (as in, I want to go to this specific marker) would work; also, having been there and knowing (remembering) it well enough to intend that exact location would also work.  What would not work predictably would be wanting to go "someplace like this" or "the nearest beach" or "near this city I've never been to" - each is imprecise and could put you somewhere that matched your expressed intent but was not actually what you wanted - because you weren't able to express what you wanted clearly (a sort of "what I said, but not what I meant" scenario).

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

@zil sorry for the threadjack.

No worries, Carb.  Discussions go where they go - it's all good.  I'm just grateful for all the excellent ideas you guys have given me to help me get back to work on this project and resolve one thing I've been hung up on.

3 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Read it a long time ago, and it wasn't a major part of the story; just backdrop. So I have no idea.

Hypothetically, though, since we experience up to 2Gs in an elevator, and assuming it takes 26,000 miles to orbit, how long would it take at that same 2Gs the whole trip?

Lehi

The 2Gs in an elevator is instantaneous.  If you were to go at a continual 2gs for more than a minute or two, you'd probably pass out without special training.  But to answer your question, at that rate of acceleration and deceleration, it would take somewhere around 1.5 to 2 hours.  But then you'd have to deal with some really high friction issues before you even leave orbit.  And if you're coming back at the same rate of acceleration, you'd be a crispy critter -- shuttle tiles or no.  You'd be going mach 3.5 in about 1 minute.

Edited by Guest