Olympic swimmer fabricates robbery

Guest MormonGator

9 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/18/us-swimmers-robbery-rio-olympics-ryan-lochte/

This is among the weirdest stories I've read recently! 

I do not trust the media to get anything right.  Think I will waite and let things play out before trying to form an opinion.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
21 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I do not trust the media to get anything right.  Think I will waite and let things play out before trying to form an opinion.

20 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

This all revolves around "attention". Lochte wants it AND Brazil doesn't.

I get what you both of you are saying, but I respectfully disagree guys. I think he lied about something and now is dealing with the consequences. 

And seriously guys, I hope you both know I have nothing but respect for both of you. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Probability of someone making up an 'olympic athletes busted up a gas station toilet and that's why we pointed all those guns at them' story: nil.

I'd say 10-15%.  The police in Rio aren't very big on civil liberties, or admitting when they've made a mistake.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Probability of someone making up an 'I was robbed' story: 50%

I was robbed once by @unixknight. Dude took a baseball bat to my knees, he was out of control. 

16 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I'd say 10-15%.  The police in Rio aren't very big on civil liberties, or admitting when they've made a mistake.

It's getting pretty clear the dude made it up. The video shows he certainly wasn't robbed. 

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I thought I told you what would happen if you said anything to anyone...

Forum, if you don't hear from me for a few days, contact a dude from the DC area. And I don't mean Obama. 

16 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I get what you both of you are saying, but I respectfully disagree guys. I think he lied about something and now is dealing with the consequences. 

And seriously guys, I hope you both know I have nothing but respect for both of you. 

If lying in social media, is a crime of consequence - humanity could not survive and would already be history and we would not have any cantidates for president.  As Hilary would say - I have not done anything wrong and it was not a lie.  I do not know if a report was filed with the police by any swimmer - at least no reporter or commentator I have heard has validated that a report was indeed filed and reported what any swimmer said on any official police report.  It looks to me that all that is being reported is opinion.

BTW - anyone that can live in Florida has my deepest resepct.  I was there this June but suffered heat stroke.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Traveler said:

BTW - anyone that can live in Florida has my deepest resepct.  I was there this June but suffered heat stroke.

Yikes! Yeah, you need to be careful in the heat, especially if you aren't used to it. 

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

BTW - anyone that can live in Florida has my deepest resepct.

Mine too, because now Floridians are dodging zombies again...

@MormonGator... seriously man... what's up with the face eating in FL?  Is it becoming a competitive sport???

Apologies for the sidetrack... I just had to ask...

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Mine too, because now Floridians are dodging zombies again...

@MormonGator... seriously man... what's up with the face eating in FL?  Is it becoming a competitive sport???

Apologies for the sidetrack... I just had to ask...

LOL! 

My old man lives in New England and when he heard about the latest incident he texted me saying "Good thing you are so ugly that no one would dare think about it!" 

Thank Pops. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Ok... I've been following this story from the beginning.  Lochte's statement is not an apology for "making it up".  It is an apology for his candidly remarking on the events to a reporter which took the spotlight off the other Olympians and blowing the story up as he is a major Olympic celebrity.  The apology also covers his involvement in the swimmers' behavior inside the gas station.  But, he never claimed that he "made anything up". 

Here's the complete statement:  https://twitter.com/RyanLochte/status/766638785140498432/photo/1

Now, as far as his story goes... the hoopla is over Lochte's statement that they were robbed at gunpoint by Brazilian police.  He mis-stated the time of the incident and may have exaggerated the "stolen items".  But, he did admit in that interview that he was intoxicated at the time.  Now, Lochte was firm that the cop took money from them at gunpoint - in his intoxicated state, that was clear to him.  The video that the police released of the incident was missing 3 minutes of footage.  What we did see is Lochte holding his hands up like somebody off-screen was pointing a gun at him, the video cuts out, and resumes 3 minutes later with the swimmers on the ground.

Now, Brazilian police said that money was exchanged between the swimmers and the cops as payment for the vandalism.  But, this still doesn't account for the money being demanded at gunpoint.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Now, as far as his story goes... the hoopla is over Lochte's statement that they were robbed at gunpoint by Brazilian police.  He mis-stated the time of the incident and may have exaggerated the "stolen items". 

This is what's really cool Anatess. He could have avoided all of this drama if he didn't lie in the first place. Same with Manti' Teo. You avoid countless explanations if you don't do something that requires them. 

No one needs to defend Gator when someone accuses me of embezzling funds from my accounting firm because I never embezzled funds in the first place. 

Edited by MormonGator

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

This is what's really cool Anatess. He could have avoided all of this drama if he didn't lie in the first place. Same with Manti' Teo. You avoid countless explanations if you don't do something that requires them. 

That's the thing... he didn't lie. He misspoke - 2 different things.  When you think it happened at 4 when it happened at 5.. that's not a lie.  Make sense?

Also, when a cop demands money at gunpoint and you think it's a robbery and the cop thinks it's payment... that's not a lie either.  That's a different perspective.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That's the thing... he didn't lie. He misspoke - 2 different things.  When you think it happened at 4 when it happened at 5.. that's not a lie.  Make sense?

Also, when a cop demands money at gunpoint and you think it's a robbery and the cop thinks it's payment... that's not a lie either.  That's a different perspective.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by MormonGator

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

Just stating the facts of the case, dude.

Now, Te'o... yes he lied to his father about meeting the girl... that's a lie.  But his statement to reporters about his girlfriend dying was not a lie.  He was a victim of a hoax.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Just stating the facts of the case, dude.

The facts are that he got in trouble then lied to cover it up. That simple. You choose to believe the "truth" with a huge amount of spin to it. 

10 hours ago, MormonGator said:

The facts are that he got in trouble then lied to cover it up. That simple. You choose to believe the "truth" with a huge amount of spin to it. 

Uhm no.  If he didn't mention anything to the reporter on a candid interview, there wouldn't be any story at all.  I don't choose to believe any spin.  I simply told you what was divulged by the Brazilian cops.  At this time, nothing the Brazilian cops showed on the 45-minute press conference and the videos refute Lochte's claim that the swimmers were held at gunpoint and money demanded.

I don't make a habit of defending stupid Americans who go on foreign soil, devil-may-care, destroying property.  I also have not much regard for Brazilian authority who has displayed their corrupt practices for all to see for decades.  But, in this case, all the things that have been released about it is what I just told you.  You're the one that chose to make judgments in favor of Brazilian cops and against Lochte.  I'm simply telling you none of what has been released refutes Lochte's account except for the misstatements in the retelling.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Sure.  Only guilty people need lawyers.  :cool:

He's guilty,  but people are free to believe whatever they like. Denial is a powerful weapon. 

And it's true, innocent people need lawyers sometimes as well-though all of this could have been avoided if he chose to tell the truth from the beginning. After all, your wife doesn't ask you about those texts on your cellphone from Julie if there are no texts on your cell phone from Julie.  

Edited by MormonGator

On 8/19/2016 at 10:13 AM, MormonGator said:

I was robbed once by @unixknight. Dude took a baseball bat to my knees, he was out of control. 

Hey, thats not fair! Why does unixknight get all the fun? I want my turn! Its been more than a week since I cracked anyone's knees :(