I can think of only 2 reasons why men would want polygamy

After that whole episode where it seemed like I was obsessed with polygamy, I realized in men's minds there's usually only 1 of 2 reasons why men would want polygamy in the first place. These reasons are:

1. More women to open your heart to. This was the reason for me thinking about it. You love all your children equally and all your family equally hopefully, and having multiple spouses means you'd open your heart to love many different people and be showered with love. As someone who's never had a girl love me it would seem like bliss to have so many people show love and be in your heart.

2. More sex partners. This is the bad reason to want polygamy, but it's the other reason I thought of why men would want to live polygamy. Brigham Young, Heber C Kimball, Lorenzo Snow, and Joseph F Smith all had like 40-60 children and they had many partners. I know sex isn't supposed to be super important, but to men more wives means more different people to have sex with and have children with.

So those are the only 2 reasons I came up with why men would even want polygamy in the first place. Can you think of any other reason why a man would want it? And because God commanded it is not a want.

22 minutes ago, james12 said:

There are other reasons, posterity being one. 

Infinite posterity of spirit children is still possible in the eternities with 1 wife, but you're right, in mortality it's helpful to have more children.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I don't know how to control my mind what runs through it.

Better learn quick, or else you'll be a slave to your insecurities and obsessions. Which will have a huge detriment to your life. 

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, zil said:

With God, all things are possible.

So when I prayed to become a baseball player from age 4-16....God wasn't listening?

I get what you are saying and people really do change, for the record. 

3 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

That seems pretty apparent...

The most common method is to realize you can only think of one thing at a time.  So you force your mind to a different subject... the most common method is to start singing to drive out the unwanted thoughts...

Although in your case you might need to choose a "safer obsession" to drive out the unwanted ones

22 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

So when I prayed to become a baseball player from age 4-16....God wasn't listening?

I get what you are saying and people really do change, for the record. 

I'm quoting scripture there, I'm just too lazy to look it up.  It's in the New Testament.  If God had wanted you to be a baseball player and had you cooperated with him, yes, you could have been a baseball player.

I also agree with Zane Grey: "Habit of years is strong as life itself."  As long as I'm also-ing: Fortunately, Christ is stronger than life itself, and he can and does help us to overcome "habits of years".

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, zil said:

I also agree with Zane Grey: "Habit of years is strong as life itself."  As long as I'm also-ing: Fortunately, Christ is stronger than life itself, and he can and does help us to overcome "habits of years".

Fundamentally, we agree. Christ can certainly help us overcome habits that we've had forever, for sure. 

36 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Memorize passages from good books, including scripture, but also from good classical literature.  Stay away from the pop culture crap and stay away from anti-Mormon websites.  Memorize hymns. 

As you fill your mind with good stuff (and memorizing REALLY helps), then your obsessions will eventually have less of a place in your mind (both conscious and unconscious.

Here's one to fill your mind with:

I can think of anything I want to--absolutely anything!--with this provision: that when I choose to focus my attention on one object, all other objects drop into the background. I am only permitted to think of one thing at a time; that is the one rule of the game.

An equally important rule is that I must keep thinking! Except for the daily shutoff period, I cannot evade the test. ...

But why this crippling limitation on our thoughts if we are God's children? It is precisely this limitation that is the essence of our mortal existence. If every choice I make expresses a preference, if the world I build up is the world I really love and want, then with every choice I am judging myself, proclaiming all the day long to God, angels, and my fellowmen where my real values lie, where my treasure is, the things to which I give supreme importance. Hence, in this life every moment provides a perfect and foolproof test of your real character, making this life a time of testing and probation.

Hugh Nibley, Approaching Zion, chapter 3  (this one I do have highlighted ;) and I liked it so much, I had my printer make the end of it (from "If every choice") into a bookmark)

1 hour ago, james12 said:

There are other reasons, posterity being one. 

This in my mind is the #1 reason.  All the righteous examples of polygamy in the scriptures have this component. Abraham, the 12 tribes of Israel, etc.

I actually think if polygamy wasn't taboo, you'd also see women who would want polygamy.  The main role of the husband is to be a provider, the main role of the wife is to take care of the hearth and home. Without it being taboo, I'd think you'd see some women (not all, but certainly some) who would rather be the 2nd, 3rd wife of a really fantastic provider rather than the 1st wife of one who couldn't provide.

And in effect, that is what Abraham, Jacob, etc. and the ancient prophets did-they were fairly well off and could support multiple wives and many children. While I'm sure Rachel and Leah would have liked to each have their own Jacob for their own, better to share one than to get none at all.

43 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I think it would also help if I focus on what's more important and that's what we can do and give for God and Jesus and not what we gain and receive from them. 

You are looking at a far away goal and ignoring even the first step on how to get there.

1. Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene--one step enough for me

2. I was not ever thus, nor pray'd that thou
Shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path; but now,
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.

3. So long thy pow'r hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone.
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

Infinite posterity of spirit children is still possible in the eternities with 1 wife, but you're right, in mortality it's helpful to have more children.

It's not just helpful, it's essential . . .The vast majority of problems in the world can be traced back to horrible parenting (everyone has their agency-but parenting makes a huge difference).  Raising righteous children is an act of love for one's neighbor and probably the best thing one can do for in this life.

I'd sure take the Brigham Young having 10 wives and raising 40 righteous kids over him having 1 wife raising 4 righteous kids and then the other 9 wives raising 4 deviant kids b/c their husbands can't get it together. . . The 1st case society will be better off, the 2nd it will be worse off.

Edited by yjacket