I can think of only 2 reasons why men would want polygamy

5 minutes ago, yjacket said:

I actually think if polygamy wasn't taboo, you'd also see women who would want polygamy.  The main role of the husband is to be a provider, the main role of the wife is to take care of the hearth and home. Without it being taboo, I'd think you'd see some women (not all, but certainly some) who would rather be the 2nd, 3rd wife of a really fantastic provider rather than the 1st wife of one who couldn't provide.

This history of marriage throughout our existence on the earth has been something like what you describe. It was only in the i and I that it became "taboo", when the Romans started to worry about inheritance among the aristocrats. It became de riguer to marry one woman (although they didn't seem concerned at all about serial polygyny). It also made spousal abuse a major concern, especially lethal abuse.

See my topic here.

The sisters in Utah wrote most of the articles in the Women's Exponent on the subject of Plural Marriage, and they agreed.

Lehi

12 minutes ago, yjacket said:

I'd sure take the Brigham Young having 10 wives and raising 40 righteous kids over him having 1 wife raising 4 righteous kids and then the other 9 wives raising 4 deviant kids b/c their husbands can't get it together. . . The 1st case society will be better off, the 2nd it will be worse off.

I had never thought about it that way before, but it's an excellent point.

Alright, this isn't really a reply to this topic as it is to Zara as a whole.

I noticed your topic about women being better than men. I used to think like that too. A lot. I literally began to have suspicions that perhaps men should be serving women and letting them lead us, it was that extreme. And you know what?

It was wrong. This goes back into the plain ol' thinking that someone else is somehow better than us, more spiritual than us, more qualified to be in the Celestial Kingdom, more etc. Perhaps we even unconsciously see them as perfect. and in such cases, then begins the horrible thinking that we're not and we'll never be as good as that person or persons.

THIS IS A LIE. Let me tell you what the truth is. Everyone sins. EVERYONE. We all sin constantly. Only Jesus Christ was the only person who lived on this world who was perfect. And that's it. Period. And you know what the Lord also said?

"For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance" (emphasis added)

He said that right in the first section of the Doctrine and Covenants. So, everyone is equally guilty. (Not counting the Unforgivable Sins) Everyone is equally separated from God. And there is no way we can "earn" our way back into the Celestial Kingdom by our own merits and/or power. The moment you first sin, that's it. You're out. Doesn't matter how small it was. Doesn't matter how many times it was committed. If you've sinned even once, you're finished. This is the justice of God in its pure form. The justice of God leaves none standing but the one and only Christ.

So what are we to do? How can we possibly return back to our loving Father? How could we ever do it? And the good news, the glorious wonderful answer, is Jesus Christ. His mercy. His Atonement. He will get us safely back. How? The first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Faith in Christ, repentance, baptism by water, and baptism by fire. This is the ageless message for our world. One that applies to everyone. Something that EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this earth needs to understand fully and completely. This is our ticket back home and this is the only way. And simultaneously, it is the best way.

So, anyway. Back to what I was originally saying. Are women better than men? NO. Are men better than women? NO. No one is better than the other. Again, we are all equally separated from our dear Heavenly Father. We are all equally loved, which is an infinite love. An Eternal love. We all equally need our brother, Savior, and Lord, Jesus Christ. And He is asking us to follow him. To learn from him. To lovingly and respectfully accept his sacrifice and be justified and purified, both.

And in any case, if Women are so much better than men, then why is the Savior that we chose in the beginning, male? It's such an inferior gender after all. How could it possssibbbllyy be? I just don't know. XP

40 minutes ago, Awakened said:

Alright, this isn't really a reply to this topic as it is to Zara as a whole.

I noticed your topic about women being better than men. I used to think like that too. A lot. I literally began to have suspicions that perhaps men should be serving women and letting them lead us, it was that extreme. And you know what?

It was wrong. This goes back into the plain ol' thinking that someone else is somehow better than us, more spiritual than us, more qualified to be in the Celestial Kingdom, more etc. Perhaps we even unconsciously see them as perfect. and in such cases, then begins the horrible thinking that we're not and we'll never be as good as that person or persons.

THIS IS A LIE. Let me tell you what the truth is. Everyone sins. EVERYONE. We all sin constantly. Only Jesus Christ was the only person who lived on this world who was perfect. And that's it. Period. And you know what the Lord also said?

"For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance" (emphasis added)

He said that right in the first section of the Doctrine and Covenants. So, everyone is equally guilty. (Not counting the Unforgivable Sins) Everyone is equally separated from God. And there is no way we can "earn" our way back into the Celestial Kingdom by our own merits and/or power. The moment you first sin, that's it. You're out. Doesn't matter how small it was. Doesn't matter how many times it was committed. If you've sinned even once, you're finished. This is the justice of God in its pure form. The justice of God leaves none standing but the one and only Christ.

So what are we to do? How can we possibly return back to our loving Father? How could we ever do it? And the good news, the glorious wonderful answer, is Jesus Christ. His mercy. His Atonement. He will get us safely back. How? The first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Faith in Christ, repentance, baptism by water, and baptism by fire. This is the ageless message for our world. One that applies to everyone. Something that EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this earth needs to understand fully and completely. This is our ticket back home and this is the only way. And simultaneously, it is the best way.

So, anyway. Back to what I was originally saying. Are women better than men? NO. Are men better than women? NO. No one is better than the other. Again, we are all equally separated from our dear Heavenly Father. We are all equally loved, which is an infinite love. An Eternal love. We all equally need our brother, Savior, and Lord, Jesus Christ. And He is asking us to follow him. To learn from him. To lovingly and respectfully accept his sacrifice and be justified and purified, both.

And in any case, if Women are so much better than men, then why is the Savior that we chose in the beginning, male? It's such an inferior gender after all. How could it possssibbbllyy be? I just don't know. XP

So you think there are women in Outer Darkness with Satan who rebelled against God as part of the 1/3 host that rebelled? I thought you had to have the priesthood to warrant Outer Darkness.

12 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

So you think there are women in Outer Darkness with Satan who rebelled against God as part of the 1/3 host that rebelled? I thought you had to have the priesthood to warrant Outer Darkness.

Who said that? Outer Darkness is for the worst. Who exactly warrants that here, only Christ and Heavenly Father knows. But I certainly don't see why not. In fact, I'm pretty certain there are demonesses out there, considering what I've read and heard about. And make no mistake, I'm more than sure they're just as equally and utterly nasty and twisted and malevolent as their male counterparts.

Edited by Awakened

9 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I thought you had to have the priesthood to warrant Outer Darkness.

As @Awakened implied, this isn't doctrine, as far as I know.

There have been women just as evil, throughout history, as any man.  Lucretia Borge, Hitliarly Clinton, some of the female NAZI concentration camp guards, and Martin Harris's wife*, just to identify a few.
* I'm stretching here, perhaps.

And, if we look at truly evil men who did not hold the Priesthood, we find Harvey Milk, Nero, Mao, Pol Pot, and who-know-how-many others.

Lehi

1 hour ago, LeSellers said:

There have been women just as evil...Hitliarly Clinton...Martin Harris's wife*
* I'm stretching here, perhaps.

So, Mrs. Harris is a stretch.  Clinton is not a stretch...  I'm not going to put up too much of a fight.  I just wanted to highlight your thoughts on the matter.

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, LeSellers said:

And, if we look at truly evil men who did not hold the Priesthood, we find Harvey Milk, Nero, Mao, Pol Pot, and who-know-how-many others.

Lehi

:huh:

15 minutes ago, Godless said:
2 hours ago, LeSellers said:

:huh:

How would you classify pedophiles?

Lehi

15 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I don't know how to control my mind what runs through it.

You mind wants to run, that's ok and normal-- God gave you that mind.

Now what tracks do you want to run that mind down?  That's your choice. 

If your mind have become obsessed with a unhealthy topic (healthy topic to an unhealthy level) the solution is to find it a new track to run.  Deepen your understanding and love of the Savior, for example.

Guest Godless
3 hours ago, LeSellers said:

How would you classify pedophiles?

Lehi

Having an underage boyfriend is certainly enough to raise some eyebrows, but I don't know that I would put Milk in the same sentence as Mao and Pol Pot. 

39 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

With that thought in mind, perhaps a quick sandwich laced with poison. ;)

"Winston, if I were your wife, I'd put poison in your coffee."

"Nancy, if you were my wife--I'd drink it."

And that, folks, is why Mormons don't drink coffee.  (Boom-di-boom crassh.  Thanks, folks.  I'm here 'til Thursday.  Remember to tip your waiters!)

1 hour ago, Godless said:

Having an underage boyfriend [as Havey Milk did] is certainly enough to raise some eyebrows, but I don't know that I would put Milk in the same sentence as Mao and Pol Pot. 

I know you don't care about this, but Christ said that it were better if a millstone were hing about the neck of anyone who offends "one of these little ones". Seems a bit more than just a peccadillo.

Lehi

6 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

I know you don't care about this, but Christ said that it were better if a millstone were hing about the neck of anyone who offends "one of these little ones". Seems a bit more than just a peccadillo.

Lehi

Depends on the age.  With Joseph Smith having been sealed to a fourteen-year-old or two as well as numerous sixteen-year-olds, we're kind of living in a glass house ourselves on that one . . .

Edited by Just_A_Guy

3 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Depends on the age.  With Joseph Smith having been sealed to a fourteen-year-old or two, we're kind of living in a glass house ourselves on that one . . .

It sortta kinda depends on the difference between boys and girls, too. Mary was probably 14 or 15 when she bore the Son of God.

Lehi

45 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Lehi

But you'd have to condemn the early prophets. Lorenzo Snow was 57 when he married a 15 year old girl and had 5 children with her. He also married other underage girls in his 40s and had children with them. Wilford Woodruff was 45 when he married either a 15 or 16 year old and had children with her. These were 15 to 17 year old girls and men in their 40s and 50s. But you wouldnt say the early prophets were sinning like Harvey Milk right? I support the prophets and won't condemn them for the age differences and their having children with them. They are not pedophiles and don't deserve to have a millstone hung around their necks.