I can think of only 2 reasons why men would want polygamy

4 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

It's just a whole confusing practice that I wish the church never got involved in.

I have studied this issue a good bit and there is more than meets the eye as to why it was instituted. I personally have come to the conclusion that without a doubt it was instituted by God. IMO one cannot separate polygamy from Joseph the Prophet.  Either Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God and polygamy was instituted on commandment from God or Joseph Smith was a fraud.

Some members of the Church try to do this modern day dance, where they claim Joseph is a Prophet, but that polygamy was a mistake.  That approach is incompatible-it was the same thinking that ultimately lead to Joseph's death.  Polygamy was a major issue that lead many people to claim he was a "fallen prophet".

IMO the establishment of polygamy cannot be fully understood without understanding the Anointed Quorum and it can't be understood without understanding the distinct different between a civil marriage and a sealing and which one overrides the other.  Another thing to understand that most people don't is that Joseph Smith was literally, and I do mean literally creating the Kingdom of God on Earth.  He was instituting everything that would be necessary to usher in the 2nd Coming.  People have to act to build the organizational government and religious government for the 2nd coming.  He was doing his best to create a theological government and religious institution to usher in the 2nd Coming.

There is a process that I personally am convinced that most of the 12 and GA go through-a very real, tangible Abrahamic experience where they are called upon to sacrifice what they hold most dear to God. They don't talk about it, but service to God requires a purifying experience wherein we are tried to see if we are willing to set Him 1st in our lives.

I believe Polygamy when it was instituted was an Abrahamic experience for those individuals involved.  Hyrum Smith did not accept it and it was only after Brigham Young talked to Hyrum about his testimony of it that Hyrum accepted.  There has been some really good research in PhD thesis papers describing Polygamy, the Succession Crisis and the Anointed Quorum.

Just because we don't understand God's ways doesn't mean it isn't right.  God told Nephi to slay Laban, God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.  The key is learning to Hear God speaking to us so that when God tells us to do something we know with confidence that it is He who is speaking.

There is way more than meets the eye to the institution of polygamy . . ..

Guest MormonGator
14 hours ago, yjacket said:

I have studied this issue a good bit and there is more than meets the eye as to why it was instituted. I personally have come to the conclusion that without a doubt it was instituted by God. IMO one cannot separate polygamy from Joseph the Prophet.  Either Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God and polygamy was instituted on commandment from God or Joseph Smith was a fraud.

Some members of the Church try to do this modern day dance, where they claim Joseph is a Prophet, but that polygamy was a mistake.  That approach is incompatible-it was the same thinking that ultimately lead to Joseph's death.  Polygamy was a major issue that lead many people to claim he was a "fallen prophet".

IMO the establishment of polygamy cannot be fully understood without understanding the Anointed Quorum and it can't be understood without understanding the distinct different between a civil marriage and a sealing and which one overrides the other.  Another thing to understand that most people don't is that Joseph Smith was literally, and I do mean literally creating the Kingdom of God on Earth.  He was instituting everything that would be necessary to usher in the 2nd Coming.  People have to act to build the organizational government and religious government for the 2nd coming.  He was doing his best to create a theological government and religious institution to usher in the 2nd Coming.

There is a process that I personally am convinced that most of the 12 and GA go through-a very real, tangible Abrahamic experience where they are called upon to sacrifice what they hold most dear to God. They don't talk about it, but service to God requires a purifying experience wherein we are tried to see if we are willing to set Him 1st in our lives.

I believe Polygamy when it was instituted was an Abrahamic experience for those individuals involved.  Hyrum Smith did not accept it and it was only after Brigham Young talked to Hyrum about his testimony of it that Hyrum accepted.  There has been some really good research in PhD thesis papers describing Polygamy, the Succession Crisis and the Anointed Quorum.

Just because we don't understand God's ways doesn't mean it isn't right.  God told Nephi to slay Laban, God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.  The key is learning to Hear God speaking to us so that when God tells us to do something we know with confidence that it is He who is speaking.

Those are some great points my friend. 

Guest MormonGator
14 hours ago, yjacket said:

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

All that time obsessing over polygamy was just Satan getting in my mentally ill brain and confusing and upsetting me.

Zarahelma, I've grown to like you over your posts. I really have. So don't take this the wrong way-Do you have any hobbies? 

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

All that time obsessing over polygamy was just Satan getting in my mentally ill brain and confusing and upsetting me.

Zarahelma, I've grown to like you over your posts. I really have. So don't take this the wrong way-Do you have any hobbies? 

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Reading church books, video game music, video games, Tinder.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Knew I liked you. What kind of video games do you like? I LOVE them, they are my number one hobby. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Knew I liked you. What kind of video games do you like? I LOVE them, they are my number hobby. 

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Knew I liked you. What kind of video games do you like? I LOVE them, they are my number hobby. 

God of War Saga, Mass Effect 1-3, Bioshock 1,2, and Infinite, Final Fantasy 6-10, Chrono Trigger, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros when gaming with friends, etc. The list goes on.

Guest MormonGator

God of War Saga, Mass Effect 1-3, Bioshock 1,2, and Infinite, Final Fantasy 6-10, Chrono Trigger, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros when gaming with friends, etc. The list goes on.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. FF 7 is my favorite game of all time with ZOOT being like 1-A. The list goes on for me too, by far. 

You might want to focus on some video games for a bit. It might get your mind off polygamy and other negative influences 

Guest MormonGator

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. FF 7 is my favorite game of all time with ZOOT being like 1-A. The list goes on for me too, by far. 

You might want to focus on some video games for a bit. It might get your mind off polygamy and other negative influences 

6 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

Is D&C 132 an eternal scripture or just a temporal scripture for a certain time period like some of the Old Testament is?

Its probably both. Most things tend to have aspects of both- for instance while the rites in the OT had a specific time frame, what they represent and teach do not.

On August 20, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Sunday21 said:

So glad as an unmarried female that Poligamy is off the table. Imagine feeling nervous that the husband of your friend was about to pop the question. Shudder. I have a dear friend who I rarely see. She lives in another part of the country. Whenever she or I are travelling for work I always try to see her sans hubby. The poor woman suffers from the delusion that someone might steal hubby away. In fact, we call him Mr Potato Head. Even her Mormon friends can't stand him. We grit our teeth a lot. This couple have a rule that neither of them are allowed to be alone with a member of the opposiate gender. Good rule. The sisters and and I might kill him!

Eh? My Mormon matrineal line comes from a woman whose husband married her two sisters. I think, ew, and something was really super weird with that group. 

On 8/31/2016 at 2:38 AM, MormonGator said:

On 9/1/2016 at 8:23 AM, MormonGator said:

On 9/1/2016 at 8:23 AM, MormonGator said:

On 9/1/2016 at 8:25 AM, MormonGator said:

Knew I liked you. What kind of video games do you like? I LOVE them, they are my number one hobby. 

On 9/1/2016 at 8:25 AM, MormonGator said:

Gator are you developing a stutter?