Mormons seen to be waxing strong to me

I've only lived in 2 family wards in my life and both seemed to be filled with well off members who have a lot of kids and big houses. It reminds me of the scriptures when the people waxed strong and grew in riches. The only problem is those rich people eventually wound up prideful, so should we worry about all the wealthy mormons becoming prideful and following the patterns of the people in the Book of Mormon?

13 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

If it your life?  If not, then no.  Steward over your life, and let others steward over theirs. 

We shouldn't care about others lives? Then stop all missionary work and temple ordinances for the dead immediately.

3 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

We shouldn't care about others lives? Then stop all missionary work and temple ordinances for the dead immediately.

There is a difference between caring about the lives of others and being stewards.  We can do service for others and teach the gospel without having any kind of stewardship over them.

1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

should we worry about all the wealthy mormons becoming prideful and following the patterns of the people in the Book of Mormon?

Not all of them.  No.

But right now, I would ask, how far along are you on the road you need to be for you to worry about others on their road?  I have prayed for thee that thy faith fail thee not.  And when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

I've only lived in 2 family wards in my life and both seemed to be filled with well off members who have a lot of kids and big houses. It reminds me of the scriptures when the people waxed strong and grew in riches. The only problem is those rich people eventually wound up prideful, so should we worry about all the wealthy mormons becoming prideful and following the patterns of the people in the Book of Mormon?

Brigham young certainly was.

7 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

A agree that this is a central question for the church. The Book of Mormon makes it very clear that when the church is righteous it tends to also materially prosper - and then to get proud and forget the Lord, which leads to disaster. The famous pride cycle is one of the main themes of the Book of Mormon.

The worst fear that I have about this people is that they will get rich in this country, forget God and his people, wax fat, and kick themselves out of the Church and go to hell.

This people will stand mobbing, robbing, poverty, and all manner of persecution, and be true. But my greater fear for them is that they cannot stand wealth; and yet they have to be tried with riches, for they will become the richest people on this earth. (Brigham Young: The Man and His Work, 4th ed., p.126-129)

We are all susceptible to pride. As always, I post my favorite talk on this subject. One of the most useful talks ever given my a modern prophet, in my view:

Beware of Pride
Ezra Taft Benson
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1989/04/beware-of-pride

Edited by tesuji

9 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

should we worry about all the wealthy mormons becoming prideful and following the patterns of the people in the Book of Mormon?

Yes.

The Brethren already are. In a stake conference several years ago, one of them spoke and said that the rich kids from Sandy, Ut, were not becoming good missionaries because they couldn't do without their phone, computers, cars, and other toys.

And that's just one indicator.

But we should also worry about the "poor" Saints who have the same values and goals, the only difference being they can't afford them.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

On 8/19/2016 at 10:28 PM, Zarahemla said:

..... should we worry ....

Absolutely we should worry.  I have carefully and scientifically studied the art of worrying and have proven that close to 97% of all the worrying that is done never happens.  What could be more effective???  For example I worry every day that the sun will stop burning - and it never has yet.  I worry all the time about the universe clasping into Black Holes.  People should thank me for all the worrying I do that so greatly benefits them.

The Traveler

The thing about wealth is that it is only "pride-inducing" if we believe it is ours to do with as we wish.  On one level it is.  But the fact is that everything belongs to the Lord.  We are only stewards over that wealth He has provided for us.  As stewards, we have some level of authority over it.  But we must be mindful that such is the Lord's and He will hold us accountable for such stewardship.

Many fine members of the Church are wealthy and still very humble and faithful -- because they know it is not by the hand of man that they receive blessings (material or otherwise) but by the hand of God.

Pride comes from forgetting this fact.   I actually had a member of my ward leave the Church for that very reason.  He invented something that is now on every supermarket shelf.  He became super wealthy overnight.  When home teachers were sent to his house because no one had seen them or heard from them in a while, he told the HT that they have enough money now and don't need the Church anymore.

It's not the wealth.  It's making gold our God before the Lord.

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

Absolutely we should worry.  I have carefully and scientifically studied the art of worrying and have proven that close to 97% of all the worrying that is done never happens.  What could be more effective???  For example I worry every day that the sun will stop burning - and it never has yet.  I worry all the time about the universe clasping into Black Holes.  People should thank me for all the worrying I do that so greatly benefits them.

The Traveler

I've tried to explain this philosophy to my husband for years, but he doesn't buy it. He thinks I should stop worrying so much, but why should a person stop doing something when they have such a gift for it?

Guest MormonGator
5 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I'm the king of worrying about pointless topics.

I've noticed that about your topics too.

I'm worried about you because you might be dealing with scrupulosity, which is a form of OCD. I'm not saying that as a pejorative or trying to be harsh or mean. Quite the opposite, actually. It can be a very hard burden to carry and I want you to understand there are options for you. 

Edited by MormonGator

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The thing about wealth is that it is only "pride-inducing" if we believe it is ours to do with as we wish.  On one level it is.  But the fact is that everything belongs to the Lord.  We are only stewards over that wealth He has provided for us.  As stewards, we have some level of authority over it.  But we must be mindful that such is the Lord's and He will hold us accountable for such stewardship.

Many fine members of the Church are wealthy and still very humble and faithful -- because they know it is not by the hand of man that they receive blessings (material or otherwise) but by the hand of God.

Pride comes from forgetting this fact.   I actually had a member of my ward leave the Church for that very reason.  He invented something that is now on every supermarket shelf.  He became super wealthy overnight.  When home teachers were sent to his house because no one had seen them or heard from them in a while, he told the HT that they have enough money now and don't need the Church anymore.

That and idleness.

21 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I agree - but I believe there is more.  That is when we have more faith in money than in G-d.  When we labor for gain and not for service.  Many people hate their work and only will work for money.  I believe this is one reason the Church has no professional class - seminary and institute teachers are as close as it comes and mostly far from the mark.

The Traveler

21 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It's making gold our God before the Lord.

4 minutes ago, Traveler said:

when we have more faith in money than in G-d.  When we labor for gain and not for service.

And that's different from what I said how?

9 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

How can you make money from dust? Really, tell me. I live next to a farm, and if I could make money off of the dust we collect, I'd be set.

Well, maybe...  I'll tell you a story based on a true rumor.

One man was given an assignment in his web design class to invent a product real or fictional that you could sell on the internet and create a website for it.  The more realistic and usable the website, the better the grade.

He decided,"Well, this is just silly.  So I'll do something silly like... tumbleweeds."  But he started getting hits on his website.  So, he had to quickly figure out how to ship this stuff.  Then it grew to an international business because they don't have tumbleweeds in Japan.  They wanted to ship US tumbleweeds to do a movie...  (so the rumor goes).

If you do a search for "tumbleweeds for sale" you will get a bunch of websites.  So, it could be a true story.  But if they can sell tumbleweeds online, why not dust?

1 hour ago, Eowyn said:

How can you make money from dust? Really, tell me. I live next to a farm, and if I could make money off of the dust we collect, I'd be set.

A collector, eh? Then I don't think you'll ever make money off of it. Oh sure, you'll always tell people it's an "investment"; and periodically the local news station will come around and showcase your collection; but we all know you'll never sell it. So any increase in value will never benefit you and your heirs are just going to sell it far below value anyway.

Sell it now why you can still get full value.