Taking the sacrament with right hand

carlimac

11 minutes ago, UtahTexan said:

can someone show me official doctrine about required hand for taking the Sacrament?  I have never been asked that in a worthiness interview

I think the whole point of this thread has been that it's not doctrine.  (Well, that and teasing some people.)

9 minutes ago, zil said:

I think the whole point of this thread has been that it's not doctrine.  (Well, that and teasing some people.)

Perhaps.

I know it was a big deal when I was Catholic.  IF you took it in the hand, it was supposed to the right.  I always took it on my tongue

1 hour ago, zil said:

What part was doctrine?  Oh, right...;)

Edited by Guest

I'm a relatively new convert to the church and have had a stroke, which limits my ability to hold the sacrament cup with my right hand. I was spilling it on myself trying to use the right hand, so  on my baptism day I decided to simply take the cup with my left hand, but the person sitting next to me said never to do that again, only to use the right hand. I cried! After that I would not take the cup only the bread. I finally talked with my bishop and later my home teachers and they said to take the cup however was easiest for me. It only takes one insensitive person to ruin the sacrament experience, especially for a new convert. The bishop had a talk with this lady and she came to me and apologized.

t

I'm sinistral* and take no joy in living in a dextral world. But I make a point of taking the sacrament with my right hand. It's a point of submission and of obedience in my mind. Whatever the original of the practice makes no difference at all. Even though it's no longer taught in the Temple, I still dress myself "right side first", from the inside out, because that was part of the covenant I made in 1967.
* The formal word for being left-handed. "Dextral" pertains to being right-handed.

Lehi

The real difficulty is when you sit further down the pew from the person reaching out to hand you the tray. 

Do you:

1. Take the sacrament, then grab the tray and pass?

2. Take the tray, set it on your lap to avoid a left-handed distribution to your own right hand?

If #1, what if it's an elderly sister who is barely able to stand? 

If #2, is the lap to right hand more appropriate than my own left hand pass to the right hand partaking? 

Mormon dilemmas? 

17 minutes ago, Colirio said:

The real difficulty is when you sit further down the pew from the person reaching out to hand you the tray. 

Do you:

1. Take the sacrament, then grab the tray and pass?

2. Take the tray, set it on your lap to avoid a left-handed distribution to your own right hand?

If #1, what if it's an elderly sister who is barely able to stand? 

If #2, is the lap to right hand more appropriate than my own left hand pass to the right hand partaking? 

Mormon dilemmas? 

The deacon who is passing should have the good sense to walk into the pew far enough for his stewardship to be able to reach it (how ever far that may be).

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

The deacon who is passing should have the good sense to walk into the pew far enough for his stewardship to be able to reach it (how ever far that may be).

I think it would be really cool if they were taught (capable of learning?) more advanced logistics and forethought.  Sometimes, hitting only one end of the pew isn't the best way to do it...  (Frankly, this is why I try not to look around during the Sacrament - I find myself critiquing their logistics (I tend to be hyper-efficient, and if I didn't stop myself, I could find myself doing diagrams on graph paper...).)  ::OCD Emoji Here::