Why I Stay

I found it interesting that the reason the author stayed was because of one very strong spiritual experience.  Many people don't have that.  I'd say most people don't have that.  So, I'll submit two examples of other reasons to stay.

1) My patriarch told me that he'd never had a single or even a few very strong experiences that he could point to and say,"That's why..."  He had a gradual day-after-day, year-after-year building of assurance as he built his relationship with the Lord.  At some point he could look back on his life and his testimony and realize he had a lot of certainty about where he was and where he stood with the Lord.

2) I had a crisis of faith where I was going to abandon everything.  But when I came to the same semblance of freedom that this author had (that I could do anything I wanted, I could choose anything I wanted) I recognized something that was so stark and so life-altering that I could never deny the sheer, naked truth of it.  I can only sum up the thought in these two references:

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day.

Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away.

Change and decay in all around I see;

O thou who changest not, abide with me!

John 6:68

68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life.

Sure I had the freedom.  But what would I choose instead of living a faith based life?  There really was nothing for me to choose.  Everything in life equated to nothing if there was no eternal life.  How bland a dish that was.  I liked it not.

Still it took me a little while for me to be able to complete the thought:

69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

Edited by Guest