Viral Photos of "Possible" Angelic Saviors?

Anddenex

Here is an article that was posted on my wall from the following URL. The title click baits with the following statement, "LDS Family's Viral Photo Shows "Angelic" Figure in a Fire Near Their Cabin" Are these post harmful, helpful, or a mixture of both.

Perspective. I remember when I was first home from my mission, and my desire to increase in knowledge induced incorrect experiences. One day I served in the temple, endowment sessions, within the stars I saw animals. My heart at first jumped and I thought the Lord was giving me a special vision. The next time I went to the temple, an abashed and silly mind realized, "Well, darn it, it was just part of the temple video." (LOL) The lesson I learned is what has already been taught by prophets, that spiritual experiences (which aren't spiritual in the least) can be forced and we open ourselves to possible deceptions. I have been far more cautious in my spiritual learning since then. 

In light of that experience, I believe this type of show isn't helpful, but harmful. The helpful part would be simply to state a prayer was said, and our cabin was spared. Telling everyone an angel spared our cabin and I have proof with a photo that is obscure appears to be more harmful rather than helpful (e.g. Nessie the Lockness monster). The picture shows a fireman to the right of the picture. The supposed angel is even farther than the fireman, which means according to perspective, that the angel should be even smaller than the fireman, not double his size. We know that resurrected beings are individuals who have lived upon this earth, and according to revealed doctrine that angels who serve this earth have either lived or will live upon this earth. The supposed angel, a human, is double the size of the fireman, meaning that is what heck of a tall angle (human, either resurrected or a spirit of the just). 

Wouldn't it be better that we stick with the simple, God answered a prayer rather than subjective image that is probably a tree in the background?

29 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Here is an article that was posted on my wall from the following URL. The title click baits with the following statement, "LDS Family's Viral Photo Shows "Angelic" Figure in a Fire Near Their Cabin"

I saw the same thing, clicked to see if they had a better image (cuz, you know, they never ever have a better image) and in their best image, it was perfectly clear to me that this was nothing but a smoke pattern around one of those triangle-shaped trees.  By fluke, the smoke isn't wrapped around the "head" of the angel.

I agree, this is harmful because it looks like whoever is claiming to believe this is an angel is just a wee bit nuts.  And that's just not going to help open doors or minds - it could even fuel the anti-religion brigade.  (In addition to your rational question about perspective/height, one could ask: If angels could be photographed, wouldn't it have been done (clearly, beyond a doubt) by now?  Wouldn't it mean that everyone could see the angel, not just the person he was sent for?  Isn't this contrary to the idea that our most sacred experiences aren't meant to be shared casually?  [add other rational thoughts here]) 

Alternately, it's harmful because it may facilitate deception of someone who is spiritually weak or vulnerable - if they get obsessed with finding "evidence" of angels, for example.

I don't mean to imply I don't believe in angels - quite the opposite - I just recognize smoke, fire, and a tree when I see them...

20 minutes ago, Traveler said:

There often (usually) is a big difference in what we think (want to think) and what is.  Sadly, for many individuals, what they imagine is more real to them than what actually is real – especially in politics and religion.

The Traveler

So much so that in many cases, we would rather be wrong in our beliefs than change them because they are ours, no matter the evidence against it.

clearly there have been scriptural accounts of individuals seeing angels.  I suspect these visitations are extremely rare because they weaken the eternal principle of faith needed to work our way back to our father's presence..  It seems to me that someone who has seen an angel would have an inherent unfair advantage enduring to the end versus someone who hadn't had that experience.  I would also assume that such an experience would be so spiritual that you wouldn't share it openly but hold it sacred and only reveal it to those closest around you.

On 8/27/2016 at 3:46 PM, Anddenex said:

We know that resurrected beings are individuals who have lived upon this earth, and according to revealed doctrine that angels who serve this earth have either lived or will live upon this earth. The supposed angel, a human, is double the size of the fireman, meaning that is what heck of a tall angel (human, either resurrected or a spirit of the just).

Gee, and here I was thinking we finally had photographic proof that there was hope for Goliath's eternal salvation . . .

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 8/27/2016 at 3:46 PM, Anddenex said:

Here is an article that was posted on my wall from the following URL. The title click baits with the following statement, "LDS Family's Viral Photo Shows "Angelic" Figure in a Fire Near Their Cabin" Are these post harmful, helpful, or a mixture of both.

Perspective. I remember when I was first home from my mission, and my desire to increase in knowledge induced incorrect experiences. One day I served in the temple, endowment sessions, within the stars I saw animals. My heart at first jumped and I thought the Lord was giving me a special vision. The next time I went to the temple, an abashed and silly mind realized, "Well, darn it, it was just part of the temple video." (LOL) The lesson I learned is what has already been taught by prophets, that spiritual experiences (which aren't spiritual in the least) can be forced and we open ourselves to possible deceptions. I have been far more cautious in my spiritual learning since then. 

In light of that experience, I believe this type of show isn't helpful, but harmful. The helpful part would be simply to state a prayer was said, and our cabin was spared. Telling everyone an angel spared our cabin and I have proof with a photo that is obscure appears to be more harmful rather than helpful (e.g. Nessie the Lockness monster). The picture shows a fireman to the right of the picture. The supposed angel is even farther than the fireman, which means according to perspective, that the angel should be even smaller than the fireman, not double his size. We know that resurrected beings are individuals who have lived upon this earth, and according to revealed doctrine that angels who serve this earth have either lived or will live upon this earth. The supposed angel, a human, is double the size of the fireman, meaning that is what heck of a tall angle (human, either resurrected or a spirit of the just). 

Wouldn't it be better that we stick with the simple, God answered a prayer rather than subjective image that is probably a tree in the background?

while there have been the occasional bit that has been really interesting caught on film that so far as i've been able to determine wasn't forged as far as i can tell... that's pretty rare. On the other hand the ability to edit a photo combined with how much our brains likes to find faces and figures in things gives it much bigger chance of being false... and that's where i'd put my money.

BUT

if it gets them to repent and come unto christ... who's to say that God didn't have a hand in it?

Edited by Blackmarch