After a decade being inactive and losing all my books and study materials in a flood I'm not sure with where to start now. ?

Of course I have gotten in touch with my local ward since I've moved and they are looking for my records, but,  in the meantime is there a good place to start when you don't have anything to read or know a single soul in your area?

I'm sure I've forgotten heaps since I converted 13 years ago and of course am out of the loop because I have been inactive for so long. Of course not going inactive would have been the best course but due to past circumstances...Well it is, what it is.. I feel like it's akin to starting over at this point. I'm just not sure where to start today any advice would be very welcome. 

Well, you could certainly start with getting a copy of the scriptures (at a minimum the BoM) and a copy of Gospel Principles just to refresh your memory.

At that point, honestly, you're about on par with 85% of the members of the Church.

Then there are the policies and procedures which change from time to time.  For one thing, missionaries now go out at 18 y.o. (for men) instead of 19.  I think that happened in the past 10 years.

Get online at https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng and read the past year's worth of church magazines: The Ensign, The New Era, 

Checkout the http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/

For other sources, do you have a tablet or smart phone?  Many of the church manuals are going all digital and only a few paper copies are sent out to each ward.  If you need it, you can get the paper copy.  But things are a LOT easier if you have digital access.  Talk to anyone at your ward building about the password for wi-fi at the church.

To expound on what Carb mentioned: The Gospel Library app (created by the church - under the full name of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), and in app stores for Apple, Android, and Windows phones and tablets will get you all the official church publications: scriptures, study guides, magazines, and manuals.  All for free.  If you like paper, you can add paper copies to your physical library as you go.

As for the books to start reading / studying, I agree: scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, and Gospel Principles (in the app, it's under Lessons > Sunday School).

Sorry you're having to start over. :( Congratulations on getting to start over. :) (Sometimes I think I would like to do that, but I'm too lazy and addicted to my "stuff".)

8 minutes ago, Amym73 said:

Thank you.  What a great idea for catching up, I will read the magazines, and the BOM and Gospel Principles.  I do have a smartphone. I never even thought of looking to see what was available digitally!  That's brilliant! Thank you!

I'll give you a personal opinion.  The digital stuff is fine when you're just reading straight or looking up a reference in class.  And when you're starting over again, it's FREE.  But when you get to the stage where you "really study" the scriptures, a paper copy is essential.  The ability to go back and forth between books and the topical guide and so on is SO much easier with a paper copy.

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'll give you a personal opinion.  The digital stuff is fine when you're just reading straight or looking up a reference in class.  And when you're starting over again, it's FREE.  But when you get to the stage where you "really study" the scriptures, a paper copy is essential.  The ability to go back and forth between books and the topical guide and so on is SO much easier with a paper copy.

Pffff.  And I would say the exact opposite. :) I find "study" much easier with the app - where I can highlight, link, tag, and make notes that are always with me and in the same place - and searchable.  I study much more (deeply) now that I'm madly in love with the Gospel Library app than I did before.

When I feel the need to see multiple books at the same time, I use a combination of my phone, my tablet and my computer.  If I really need to, I go into the other room with all that and plug the laptop into the large monitor. :D  But I've gotten really good at switching between windows (there's a feature for that) because to make links between the two things I'm studying* and copy and paste from a book into a note (for example) requires you to be on one device.

*When making links, I almost always make them either in both directions, or in a loop (a scripture chain, for example).

(They could hire me to be a GL evangelist. :lol: )

Edited by zil

7 minutes ago, zil said:

Pffff.  And I would say the exact opposite. :) I find "study" much easier with the app - where I can highlight, link, tag, and make notes that are always with me and in the same place - and searchable.  I study much more (deeply) now that I'm madly in love with the Gospel Library app than I did before.

When I feel the need to see multiple books at the same time, I use a combination of my phone, my tablet and my computer.  If I really need to, I go into the other room with all that and plug the laptop into the large monitor. :D  But I've gotten really good at switching between windows (there's a feature for that) because to make links between the two things I'm studying* and copy and paste from a book into a note (for example) requires you to be on one device.

*When making links, I almost always make them either in both directions, or in a loop (a scripture chain, for example).

(They could hire me to be a GL evangelist. :lol: )

Yes, we should.:P

I'm just not the type to be into electronics like you are.  I can use them.  But I don't even have a smart phone.  I have a tablet for some things.  It is much lighter than my quad, so I carry it with me when going somewhere...like...church.

Then there is the battery life issue.  Paper has no issues.  'nuff said.:rolleyes:

I also don't like having my stuff on the cloud.  It's a personal thing.  So, without that, I can't do what you're talking about.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm just not the type to be into electronics like you are.  I can use them.  But I don't even have a smart phone.  I have a tablet for some things.  It is much lighter than my quad, so I carry it with me when going somewhere...like...church.

That's how I was (bought my first tablet off my brother, with everything pre-installed, mostly because he wanted to sell it and I could afford to give him money and this was an excuse to do it).  When I saw all the manuals in there, it seemed a lot easier than carrying all that stuff to church, so I started using it just for that.  Eventually, I figured out how to use all its features (not just how they work, but how to make them work for me), and I've never looked back.  I even made a series of videos for the Android version of the app, detailing how to use every feature it has, and put them on YouTube.

Then there is the battery life issue.  Paper has no issues.  'nuff said.:rolleyes:

Yeah, you have to find a good one for battery life, and have a brother who knows this stuff and tells you how best to keep the battery in as good of shape as it can be.  (With paper, you lose it, and you lose your annotations; don't have it with you, don't have annotations; etc.  In other words, there are some trade-offs with paper - each has its good and bad elements.)

NOTE: For pleasure, I read paper and will until there's no paper to be found.  But for study, I'm a digital addict.

I also don't like having my stuff on the cloud.  It's a personal thing.  So, without that, I can't do what you're talking about.

It's not the cloud - it's the church's servers.  Whole different thing, IMO.  I would never put all this stuff on google's servers or MS's or someone like that.  The church, on the other hand, I'm willing to trust.

But it's OK if you don't want to be assimilated. ;) You can still be (somewhat) cool....:robot:

42 minutes ago, zil said:

To expound on what Carb mentioned: The Gospel Library app (created by the church - under the full name of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), and in app stores for Apple, Android, and Windows phones and tablets will get you all the official church publications: scriptures, study guides, magazines, and manuals.  All for free.  If you like paper, you can add paper copies to your physical library as you go.

As for the books to start reading / studying, I agree: scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, and Gospel Principles (in the app, it's under Lessons > Sunday School).

Sorry you're having to start over. :( Congratulations on getting to start over. :) (Sometimes I think I would like to do that, but I'm too lazy and addicted to my "stuff".)

Thank you, I will download that right now!  I am definitely a paper person, partly because I like to highlight meaningful passages and write in margins and really get into studying but this will work for supplemental purposes until I can get paper copies again. 

5 minutes ago, Amym73 said:

Thank you, I will download that right now!  I am definitely a paper person, partly because I like to highlight meaningful passages and write in margins and really get into studying but this will work for supplemental purposes until I can get paper copies again. 

It will also let you highlight and make notes in the "margins" (OK, footnotes, same diff) in the meantime. ;)

(Did I mention they could hire me....?)

37 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I also love paper, the feeling the ability to highlight, bookmark, and just hold a body of knowledge feels good and I am very sad that my gorgeous personalized collection was ruined in a flood and it was given to me as a gift when I was baptized.  Ugh! Alas, electronic will do for now.  I do enjoy the ability to have both as you always have it with you!!

36 minutes ago, zil said:

NOTE: For pleasure, I read paper and will until there's no paper to be found.  But for study, I'm a digital addict.

It's not the cloud - it's the church's servers.  Whole different thing, IMO.  I would never put all this stuff on google's servers or MS's or someone like that.  The church, on the other hand, I'm willing to trust.

But it's OK if you don't want to be assimilated. ;) You can still be (somewhat) cool....:robot:

Hey, I've still got 8-tracks and Beta.:eek:

Edited by Guest

As someone who was inactive for a long time, I highly recommend a schedule for prayer. Pray before leaving home in the morning. Arrange your life so that you have time to think first and you are somewhat awake. Pray at lunch time, maybe in the restroom. Pray when you return in the evening. Give yourself time to compose your thoughts.

great to have you back! You can get a limited use temple recommend. The drop out rate for new members is 80 % but 30% if new member visits the temple within the first year. What I was told while working in the temple. If there is a nearby temple perhaps you could go for a walk on the grounds? 

Wonderful that you are back!

Edited by Sunday21

On 01/09/2016 at 0:16 PM, Sunday21 said:

As someone who was inactive for a long time, I highly recommend a schedule for prayer. Pray before leaving home in the morning. Arrange your life so that you have time to think first and you are somewhat awake. Pray at lunch time, maybe in the restroom. Pray when you return in the evening. Give yourself time to compose your thoughts.

great to have you back! You can get a limited use temple recommend. The drop out rate for new members is 80 % but 30% if new member visits the temple within the first year. What I was told while working in the temple. If there is a nearby temple perhaps you could go for a walk on the grounds? 

Oh wow, I didn't know that about visiting the temple in the first year.. I went two weeks ago, did the Baptism work for my mum and gran, it was a very emotional day.   I'm not planning on going anywhere of course but I wonder why the rate goes down if you visit the temple?  Do you think it's because the convert might be more committed..  same questions for a limited use recommend as a recommend?  

10 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

Oh wow, I didn't know that about visiting the temple in the first year.. I went two weeks ago, did the Baptism work for my mum and gran, it was a very emotional day.   I'm not planning on going anywhere of course but I wonder why the rate goes down if you visit the temple?  Do you think it's because the convert might be more committed..  same questions for a limited use recommend as a recommend?  

I think you're right about more committed, but I also think those who do work for the dead (esp. their own family members) are thereafter helped by those same spirits - protected from (some of) the influences of evil spirits so that the new convert has protection as they adjust to the changes of membership in the church, help as they try to accomplish good things, etc.

I also think they are (or can be) motivated by the things they feel in the temple so that they want to work toward receiving additional temple blessings.  In my experience, no place on earth has the same feelings as a temple.  Having a goal helps one to move forward more quickly than not having one (generally).

Yeah the temple is certainly amazing..  Ive been a Christian all my life but I've never felt anything like what I felt that day ?  It was just beautiful,  I really felt my mum was with me, I tear up just thinking about it.   I don't think I will be going again to do baptisms though,  it was very difficult trying to organise as people my age (ahem) don't really do baptisms.    I'm very grateful to the people in the ward who came so we didn't have to tag onto a youth session lol.

11 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

I don't think I will be going again to do baptisms though,  it was very difficult trying to organise as people my age (ahem) don't really do baptisms.

Yeah, they try to save them for the youth, since that's all the youth can do, and so many other ordinances need adults.  I am hoping to one day find a family name* for whom I can do all the work, start to finish - spend basically the whole day at it - I think that would be really cool.

*Will have to be a distant cousin of an ancestor, cuz finding someone in my tree who hasn't had work done is really hard - dang Mormon relatives & ancestors beat me to it! ;)

3 hours ago, An Investigator said:

Yeah the temple is certainly amazing..  Ive been a Christian all my life but I've never felt anything like what I felt that day ?  It was just beautiful,  I really felt my mum was with me, I tear up just thinking about it.   I don't think I will be going again to do baptisms though,  it was very difficult trying to organise as people my age (ahem) don't really do baptisms.    I'm very grateful to the people in the ward who came so we didn't have to tag onto a youth session lol.

Many temples have an 'open baptism' day for newish members and family. On this day all you need to do is to show up with your recommend and you can perform baptisms. Call your local temple and ask when 'open baptism' day is! For priesthood holders, I think, not sisters. Don't quote me on that last part.

On 9/1/2016 at 4:16 AM, Sunday21 said:

Thank you for the suggestions.  There is a temple here, and I was at the stake center last week which is next to it, I walked around a bit, but then a man doing gardening was cursing and yelling on his cellphone so I left. :o 

I did visit the temple after baptized, it was so serene and beautiful.  It was a wonderful experience, I would love to go in again! The drop out rate is kind of suprising to me.  I would never believe it was that high!

Edited by Amym73

9 hours ago, Amym73 said:

Thank you for the suggestions.  There is a temple here, and I was at the stake center last week which is next to it, I walked around a bit, but then a man doing gardening was cursing and yelling on his cellphone so I left. :o 

I did visit the temple after baptized, it was so serene and beautiful.  It was a wonderful experience, I would love to go in again! The drop out rate is kind of suprising to me.  I would never believe it was that high!

So glad that you are back! Too bad about that gardener! Sometimes when you make a change in life, it can be over whelming. Everyone telling you "do this", "do that" so don't feel you have to do this...

if anyone on lds.net  hears a gardener on temple property swearing, please walk into the temple, walk up to the recommend desk and ask 1) ask to speak to temple president and report the incident

or 2) ask the person at a he recommend desk to report this to the temple president. The person at the recommend desk may seem a bit confused...this is normal! We are often training new people! 

I assure you that the temple president wants to hear about such incidents!

But Amy, you have enough on your plate! So don't feel that you need to do this!

Anyway, Amy we are so pleased to have you back! 

May God bless you and keep you safe. Let us know how things are going.!

42 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

So glad that you are back! Too bad about that gardener! Sometimes when you make a change in life, it can be over whelming. Everyone telling you "do this", "do that" so don't feel you have to do this...

I know this wasn't directed at me, but thanks.  I really needed to hear that, sometimes I get really overwhelmed.

Amy I'm female and was baptised in April so if you ever want anyone to chat to feel free to message me x

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2016 at 9:58 AM, Amym73 said:

After a decade being inactive and losing all my books and study materials in a flood I'm not sure with where to start now. ?

Of course I have gotten in touch with my local ward since I've moved and they are looking for my records, but,  in the meantime is there a good place to start when you don't have anything to read or know a single soul in your area?

I'm sure I've forgotten heaps since I converted 13 years ago and of course am out of the loop because I have been inactive for so long. Of course not going inactive would have been the best course but due to past circumstances...Well it is, what it is.. I feel like it's akin to starting over at this point. I'm just not sure where to start today any advice would be very welcome. 

I left the Church for 26 years.  I came back last year.  Just do it a step at a time.  Stick with the basics.  Ask for support....pray...study....attend.

On August 31, 2016 at 1:10 PM, zil said:

That's how I was (bought my first tablet off my brother, with everything pre-installed, mostly because he wanted to sell it and I could afford to give him money and this was an excuse to do it).  When I saw all the manuals in there, it seemed a lot easier than carrying all that stuff to church, so I started using it just for that.  Eventually, I figured out how to use all its features (not just how they work, but how to make them work for me), and I've never looked back.  I even made a series of videos for the Android version of the app, detailing how to use every feature it has, and put them on YouTube.

Yeah, you have to find a good one for battery life, and have a brother who knows this stuff and tells you how best to keep the battery in as good of shape as it can be.  (With paper, you lose it, and you lose your annotations; don't have it with you, don't have annotations; etc.  In other words, there are some trade-offs with paper - each has its good and bad elements.)

Zil tell us your tips for battery life!