Are you good staying humble?

Being a member of the one true church and having ordinances been done, it can be tempting to think of yourself in high esteem and headed to the Celestial Kingdom while you may see others you interact with in life or see in life as not on the same path towards Celestial glory. This can be especially hard when you're a rare Mormon in an area with majority non Mormons. So are you good at staying hunble and not being prideful in your heart thinking "I'm special because I'm in the one true church and are at liberty to better spiritual blessings than non Mormons." The scripture that comes to mind is "He who exalteth himself shall be abased, and he who humbleth himself shall be exalted." But is it hard to be really humble enough when you know you have the chance of godhood?

Well, everyone has a chance at godhood, so I'd say none of us is any better than any other in that respect.  Look who Christ associated with and who he called hypocrites - that ought to tell you something.

Live long enough, and you will probably see or hear of someone you thought of as "rock solid" fall from a great height - so how far you've already gotten seems irrelevant.

Try this: http://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1114&index=6 and pay attention when you get to this line: "We are all beggars equally—100 percent is as far as you can go."  The preceding paragraphs ought to do the job.  Or how about this from Chapter 3:

Sin is waste. It is doing one thing when you should be doing other and better things for which you have the capacity. Hence, there are no innocent, idle thoughts. That is why even the righteous must repent, constantly and progressively, since all fall short of their capacity and calling.

That's enough to make me feel desperately in need of a Savior.

Alternately, there's that place where King Benjamin says we're no better than dirt:

25 And now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were created of the dust of the earth; but behold, it belongeth to him who created you.

That's kinda humbling.  When was the last time you saw dust doing anything other than fulfilling the measure of its creation?  And when was the last time you (or I) did something less than filling the measure of our creation?

If anything, we should feel that having greater light/knowledge gives us much greater responsibility, not that it puts us above other people. 

Humility is hard because it's so multi-faceted. I think we all struggle with it to some degree. The easy definition of pride is thinking yourself better/more important than other people. But I think pride is if you're thinking about yourself more than others. That can mean you're constantly comparing yourself to others and coming up short. That can mean obsessing over how you feel, instead of thinking of what you ought to do. It can mean a lot of things. It can be thinking you know better than the Church leadership, or God. 

Pride, I think, is the root of a good number of sins, if not all them, so I'd say anyone who hasn't been translated or taken up to heaven is likely wrestling with some sort of pride, at least sometimes. 

47 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

So are you good at staying humble and not being prideful in your heart thinking "I'm special because I'm in the one true church and are at liberty to better spiritual blessings than non Mormons." 

I don't worry about it too much. I've lived enough in my life to know that when I start thinking I'm all that I just have to wait a little bit and something will happen that will smack me upside the head to remind me I'm just a begger for my life trying to make my way in the world like everyone else and that I need God in my life way more than He needs me.

Quite honestly, it was real easy when I was younger to worry about this type of stuff with very little responsibilities, but then life happens, wife, kids, job. I don't have time to worry about staying humble, 'cuz I've got enough on my plate to keep me humble for a long time.

LDS: One true church

Pentecostal: We can speak in tongues, worship and sing with spiritual abandon, etc.

Baptists: No one loves the Bible like us

Salvation Army: Care for the poor, widows & orphans

Presbyterians: Wisdom, order, informed-empathy

Catholic: Original and true Mother Church

All Christians: Hey, Jesus is the only way...

And on it goes... I would not worry too much about celebrating religious distinctives, so long as the heart remains open to engaging others and demonstrating a love and power that only the Holy Spirit can bring. Reliance on Heavenly Father will keep our faith-satisfaction from degenerating into spiritual pride.

This reminded me of a line from a song... We're all in this thing together, walking the line between faith and fear. This life won't last forever... 

It just reminds me that if I find a high horse, I'd better stay off it or I'll surely be reminded that I am on the same journey as everyone else in short order. ? I try to catch myself and strive to stay humble.  If it were always easy I suppose we wouldn't have to practice it. Plus, I love to laugh at my silly faults and don't see me running out of material in this lifetime.  

13 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I know someone who says this, and is dead serious. 

Yes, I believe there's someone like that in everyone's life.

I'll go back to my years' long position on humility and pride.

1. In a gospel sense, there is no such thing as "good" pride.  It is always used in a sense that we are ignoring God.
  2. Humility does not come from feeling shame or guilt because of our own failings, but by understanding our position with our Father in Heaven.  He is infinitely great.  We are insignificant except by our relationship with and dependence on Him.  We are His children.   Children.
  3. Pride tends to come from insecurity.  The more insecure one is about their standing with God, the more one wishes to distance oneself from Him and thus ignore Him.

None of these principles encourage comparing ourselves with other people.  The math of infinity precludes that.

Edited by Guest

In every country and every state I've lived in, I have encountered both the very humble, the not-very-concerned, and the "all is well in Zion" crowd.  The worst place for the "all is well in Zion" crowd is most definitely in Utah.  If a person grows up in Utah, they do not see it, but ask anyone who has moved to Utah and they all say the same thing and have the exact same comments.  I have never felt more like an outsider than I have in Utah and that's saying something.  The most welcome I ever felt was in Germany when I attended the Bayreuth Branch.  That said, it doesn't matter what anyone else does or doesn't do, it only matters what I do.

19 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

Being a member of the one true church and having ordinances been done, it can be tempting to think of yourself in high esteem and headed to the Celestial Kingdom while you may see others you interact with in life or see in life as not on the same path towards Celestial glory. This can be especially hard when you're a rare Mormon in an area with majority non Mormons. So are you good at staying hunble and not being prideful in your heart thinking "I'm special because I'm in the one true church and are at liberty to better spiritual blessings than non Mormons." The scripture that comes to mind is "He who exalteth himself shall be abased, and he who humbleth himself shall be exalted." But is it hard to be really humble enough when you know you have the chance of godhood?

In my opinion, those who are humble, regardless of their chosen faith, are that way because they have been taught this by their humble parents. My mother was raised by a mother who was a member of the Congregationalist Church. Grandma was a humble woman, Daddy was raised in the Lutheran Church and he was a humble man. I never knew his parents as they had passed away long before I was born. Together they taught all of their children to be humble, all but one learned well.

Us children were introduced to the LDS Church in 1960 - and from then until 1968 were baptized into the LDS church. Dad passed in 1972. Mom got baptized in  1974. So this humbleness is something that is taught by the parents regardless of religious affiliation.

As a member of the LDS church, and knowing about the plan of salvation, and heeding the prophets, should enable one to be even more humble as we strive to obey the Lord's commandments.

A question for you Zarahemla, where on earth did you get the phrase: ". . . one true church and having ordinances been done,," ? underlining by me. Never in my 56 years in the church have I EVER heard that said regarding the LDS faith.

17 minutes ago, Iggy said:

In my opinion, those who are humble, regardless of their chosen faith, are that way because they have been taught this by their humble parents. My mother was raised by a mother who was a member of the Congregationalist Church. Grandma was a humble woman, Daddy was raised in the Lutheran Church and he was a humble man. I never knew his parents as they had passed away long before I was born. Together they taught all of their children to be humble, all but one learned well.

Us children were introduced to the LDS Church in 1960 - and from then until 1968 were baptized into the LDS church. Dad passed in 1972. Mom got baptized in  1974. So this humbleness is something that is taught by the parents regardless of religious affiliation.

As a member of the LDS church, and knowing about the plan of salvation, and heeding the prophets, should enable one to be even more humble as we strive to obey the Lord's commandments.

A question for you Zarahemla, where on earth did you get the phrase: ". . . one true church and having ordinances been done,," ? underlining by me. Never in my 56 years in the church have I EVER heard that said regarding the LDS faith.

I've heard one true church many times by my local leaders growing up.

39 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Never in my 56 years in the church have I EVER heard that said regarding the LDS faith.

(Variations thereof) Heard frequently, and a true statement.  The extent of its use probably varies by region.  You've never heard "only true church"?  If not, your region is unique, I would say.

20 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

Being a member of the one true church and having ordinances been done, it can be tempting to think of yourself in high esteem and headed to the Celestial Kingdom while you may see others you interact with in life or see in life as not on the same path towards Celestial glory. This can be especially hard when you're a rare Mormon in an area with majority non Mormons. 

Honestly, the only thing here that I come close to identifying with, is the "rare Mormon in an area with majority non Mormons" part.  I think I gave up comparing myself to others a long time ago, but it was because how much I fell short.  

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

A little surprising that you have not heard this phrase before. I think that most would say that they have heard it or a variation of it.

I grew up hearing my dad sing that (badly) as he wandered around the house doing stuff.  The tune is etched into my grey matter, and manifests every time people start talking light-heartedly about being humble.  

That said, of course I still listen to Kenny Rogers.  And the Man in Black too.