Intermountain West - Fall Case Lot Sales Begin - 2016

lds2

LDS members are encouraged to store foods that they normally eat, three months worth or more. Many of us are fortunate enough to be able to buy a lot of fruits and vegetables fresh year-round, but buying some in cans in case of calamities is a wise choice as fresh foods obviously don't keep long. Also, it is a source of some of the water you might need to make it through a calamity should one occur in your area.

There are also many other canned and bulk goods at great prices to check out :) . 

A good blog with comparisons for Macey's, Harmon's, and Smith's. http://preparedldsfamily.blogspot.com/2016/08/smiths-vs-maceys-food-storage-case-lot.html

Edited by lds2

So, back in 2003-2008, I was gung-ho on food storage.  The cannery saw me there often.  Now here in 2016, I've stepped up the effort to rotate some of this stuff, now more than a decade old.  Some things of note:

* Had 2003 Beef Stew two days ago - still tastes fine, looks a bit weird.  Same with the chicken chunks and beef chunks.
* The canned ground beef looks and tastes as good as the day it was canned. 
* Store-bought Chicken and Stars from 2006 continues to be our go-to comfort food when head colds or flu strikes.  I bought a TON for $0.89 a can on sale.  
* Beans rock, especially since I snagged those Goodwill pressure cookers to reduce the rehydration time to a few hours.
* Nobody is excited about white rice, and that'll be the 2nd hardest to rotate because nobody wants it.  Hardest will be the wheat.
* Our honey storage is probably one of my smarter investments, now that it's gone up to a gazillion bucks for a tiny plastic bear full.  I could probably sell it for double what I paid.
* Gotta bring back Taco TVP night.  Love those dehydrated refried beans.  Add store tortillas, lettuce, and tomatoes, and can't tell the difference between food storage and fresh bought. 
* We don't cook much, and have been using the same can of dehydrated onions for a long time.   

My best advice for food storage.. is to store what you actually eat. Obviously we eat perishable things, and some people like apples and not dried apples. But, don't buy food and just let it go bad. Buy food that you eat, and as it starts to get a bit older on the shelf, incorporate it into your normal meals. As long as its things you would normally eat, it shouldn't be a problem. Every once in a while, throw some of those dried apple slices into your lunch instead of a fresh apple.

But basically, if you don't eat gumbo, don't buy gumbo. You'll thank yourself later.

15 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

So, back in 2003-2008, I was gung-ho on food storage.  The cannery saw me there often.  Now here in 2016, I've stepped up the effort to rotate some of this stuff, now more than a decade old.  Some things of note:

* Had 2003 Beef Stew two days ago - still tastes fine, looks a bit weird.  Same with the chicken chunks and beef chunks.
* Store-bought Chicken and Stars from 2006 continues to be our go-to comfort food when head colds or flu strikes.  I bought a TON for $0.89 a can on sale.  
* Beans rock, especially since I snagged those Goodwill pressure cookers to reduce the rehydration time to a few hours.
* Nobody is excited about white rice, and that'll be the 2nd hardest to rotate because nobody wants it.  Hardest will be the wheat.
* Our honey storage is probably one of my smarter investments, now that it's gone up to a gazillion bucks for a tiny plastic bear full.  I could probably sell it for double what I paid.
* Gotta bring back Taco TVP night.  Love those dehydrated refried beans.  Add store tortillas, lettuce, and tomatoes, and can't tell the difference between food storage and fresh bought. 
* We don't cook much, and have been using the same can of dehydrated onions for a long time.   

Huh, I would have figured you go through lots and lots of oats... :crackup:

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

* If you let the kids sample your cooking ingredients (so they can discern the different textures and flavors of the different powders you use for cooking), you may come downstairs one morning and find they've decided several handfuls of powdered eggs would make a good breakfast.

It's a good thing they know how to use the vacuum.

7 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

And that's one of the things I've stored quite a bit of.  I eat a lot of white rice.  I don't store wheat because I can't eat it.

My storage is mainly jasmine rice, spam, canned corned beef, vienna sausage, canned sardines, canned sweet peas, canned sweet corn. canned green beans.  Yep.  We'll be eating those everyday for a year.  And nobody would mind.

Edited by anatess2

On 9/7/2016 at 10:41 AM, anatess2 said:

My storage is mainly jasmine rice, spam, canned corned beef, vienna sausage, canned sardines, canned sweet peas, canned sweet corn. canned green beans.  Yep.  We'll be eating those everyday for a year.  And nobody would mind.

Spam is a good thing to store.  It has a pretty decent shelf life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I buy two weeks of food storage every two weeks. Then for the next two weeks I eat what i store. Then I go out and do the same two weeks later. So I'm regularly buying my food storage, and rotating it, as we have been taught, but for some reason it just doesnt seem to accumulate. :huh:

On 10/9/2016 at 11:20 PM, askandanswer said:

I buy two weeks of food storage every two weeks. Then for the next two weeks I eat what i store. Then I go out and do the same two weeks later. So I'm regularly buying my food storage, and rotating it, as we have been taught, but for some reason it just doesnt seem to accumulate. :huh:

Sounds like the watermelon selling story.