What you Need to Know about Comprehensive Sexual Education (CSE)

Opinion A new curriculum for sexual education is coming to your school, and the more you know about it, the more easily you can make choices for your children. As with the legalization of gay marriage and the application of transgender rights in schools, CSE originates from government, and not from parents or teachers. What is Comprehensive Sexual Education? International Planned Parenthood text for kids CSE was devised by the U.N. and International Planned Parenthood and is being pushed very hard by the U.S. Government for adoption all over the world. Because conservative nations are pushing back, the American government is attaching the adoption of CSE to the worthiness of conservative nations to receive aid from America. There are a few things that have led to people thinking CSE is a good idea. The failure of traditional forms of sexual education to account for the fact that young people are indeed having sex. Historically, there was little information on contraception or protection from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). The seeming failure of abstinence-based sexual education...

View the full article

I have high regard for parents who home school. Generally, home-school students excel on standardized tests, gain strong moral compasses, and they gain good social skills (in large part, because social interactions are much more intentional).  We recently had a visitor to our church (who happened to be a clergy person, who was currently not active in church leadership) ask our Sunday School class why some people were so anti-home-schooling.  My answer is that most believers are not, but some become defensive, because advocates can become "evangelistic" about it. It transitions from being an excellent choice to being THE choice for "sincere" believers.  Of course, the implication is that those of us who choose to place our children in public schools--or even to work in them (my children, my spouse) have committed human sacrifice to Babylon.  Bottom line: I honor those who home school, or who make the financial sacrifices needed to send their children to private ones, but I find no need to justify our family's choice to take advantage of tax-funded ones.

Regardless of whether you send your kids to public schools, the child's first education is at home.  Therefore, the compass is at home.  What is taught in the school gets bounced off of the home foundation such that kids can identify for themselves whether what they are learning in public school or from other children in school is good or not as it aligns or departs from home teaching/values.  These kids can be God's voice in Babylon.

I don't have kids nor want to have any, although I would pull any child out of public schools because the learning curriculum is horrendous nowadays.

Children are learning about these abominable things (sexuality, gender, etc) at school and are getting confused about who/what they are. It's giving the kids thoughts that the kids wouldn't naturally think about. And this is going to start in 2nd grade I believe, which is horrible.

I might even say the Gov't is brainwashing kids in this respect.

Edited by Jackie

1 hour ago, pam said:

You're starting to sound like your FIL.

Sometimes, that isn't a bad thing.  I really wish you all could know him in person.  He is much more personable IRL than online, even though he says the same words.  His tone is much different than his written words.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Colt, zil.  Colt.  Eventually grow up to be stallion, married my marefriend, produced two little foals.  Getcher grammar good.  No Rule 63 here.

"sounds more like"  (I know you aren't a filly, but I'm thinking a filly and a (colt) pony sound awfully similar. :)  (Kinda like Carb sounded like his FIL.)

So glad you and your "marefriend" :lol: are happily married with foals prancing about in the pasture...

(I think this analogy has had about all it can take now...)

21 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Sometimes, that isn't a bad thing.  I really wish you all could know him in person.  He is much more personable IRL than online, even though he says the same words.  His tone is much different than his written words.

Where's that guy?  I would've thought he'd be on this thread by now.  I kinda miss his gftw-schools... or whatever it was he calls them.

Edited by anatess2

36 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Where's that guy?  I would've thought he'd be on this thread by now.  I kinda miss his gftw-schools... or whatever it was he calls them.

He's got some personal business he's attending to right now.  Prayers would be appreciated.

Edited by Guest

All of the links you provide are to sites that characterize what CSE is. Look at actual CSE curricula and you will discover that nearly every claim you make is incorrect or misleading. What do you want for children? Because CSE has the outcomes that all parents would want for their children- abstinence and delayed sexual activity increase under CSE vs. Abstinence only. You claim that CSE teaches kids how to masturbate. This is demonstrably false. The UN CSE program is not being adopted in the U.S. and your characterization of it is grossly unfair and innaccurate. Instead of passing on the opinions of websites that are against CSE, why not go directly to the source and evaluate it for yourself. CSE does teach that abstinence and delaying sexual activity leads to the best outcomes; it's also proven that CSE does NOT lead to earlier sexual activity, unlike "abstinence only" which has a dismal record with teen pregnancy and STD rates. Lastly, CSE has the best outcomes of any forms of sex ed- we all want kids to be healthy and safe; one form of sex ed is clearly superior in achieving that outcome. 

http://www.jahonline.org/article/S1054-139X(11)00717-8/fulltext  

http://www.jahonline.org/article/S1054-139X(07)00426-0/abstract

http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/1487 

I'll not address CSE specifically, but rather the general approach of showing students all the different contraceptives and telling them repeatedly throughout the lectures that they can have them, have them replaced when they run out, that their parents do not need to know, and that, if the contraceptives fail, abortions services can be provided--again without parental notification/consent.  Hearing all this, my daughter says she wanted to raise her hand and ask the teacher:  Are you encouraging us to have sex?

The academics, researchers, social and health science experts all seem to think we parents are so foolish, ignorant and abusive.  Whenever we say they are encouraging promiscuity they act appalled, and decry our characterization.  Okay, so maybe we parents are outdated, and can be put away on the shelf.  On the other hand, the kids get the message loud and clear.

45 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

I'll not address CSE specifically, but rather the general approach of showing students all the different contraceptives and telling them repeatedly throughout the lectures that they can have them, have them replaced when they run out,

That could have saved me so much beer money in high school...uh...theoretically, I mean.

3 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

The academics, researchers, social and health science experts all seem to think we parents are so foolish, ignorant and abusive.  Whenever we say they are encouraging promiscuity they act appalled, and decry our characterization.  Okay, so maybe we parents are outdated, and can be put away on the shelf.  On the other hand, the kids get the message loud and clear.

That's my intuitive reaction as well; but from what I can gather, the statistical evidence (at least, that which I've seen cited) seems to suggest that kids who get these kinds of lectures are not having sex more frequently, or earlier, than their peers who don't get these kind of lectures; and their pregnancy rates seem to be slightly lower.

It could be that the statisticians are lying, or giving us carefully-selected numbers that don't tell the whole story.  Then again, maybe the best way to keep teenagers from having sex is to send an overweight, forty-something teacher to explain the entire process to them in meticulous detail--the sheer awkwardness of it all may create enough of an "ick" factor about sex, that those kids commit to remaining celibate for the next five years. ;)

My major concern would be a program that tells minors that their sex lives are none of their parents' business.  I don't know enough about CSE to know whether it does that; judging on a cursory Google search the summation of "philosophies" cited by the LDS.net article originates from CSE's detractors and not its proponents.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

4 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Then again, maybe the best way to keep teenagers from having sex is to send an overweight, forty-something teacher to explain the entire process to them in meticulous detail--the sheer awkwardness of it all may create enough of an "ick" factor about sex, that those kids commit to remaining celibate for the next five years. ;)

I guess it takes a legal mind to come up with the obvious.  Tonight I will rest peacefully, knowing the future for our children is safe.  ROFL