Wearing Jeans and T-shirt ok for Sunday? Vs. Dress/skirt?

I dress very simply. I usually wear clean jeans that aren't tight/revealing and a regular plain T-shirt.

Last time that I went to a Sunday meeting at the local LDS Church, every female member was wearing skirts or a dress.

I can truthfully say that I stuck out by wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I dislike wearing dresses/skirts, since they make me feel "naked" in a way.

Is there a LDS policy that all females need to wear dresses or skirts?

21 minutes ago, Jackie said:

I dress very simply. I usually wear clean jeans that aren't tight/revealing and a regular plain T-shirt.

Last time that I went to a Sunday meeting at the local LDS Church, every female member was wearing skirts or a dress.

I can truthfully say that I stuck out by wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I dislike wearing dresses/skirts, since they make me feel "naked" in a way.

As you've noticed, dresses / skirts are the norm.  Unlike @SilentOne, the only time I've seen a woman at church wearing pants was when she was an investigator, coming from or going to something that got in the way of putting on her "Sunday clothes" or similar anomaly.  I have seen some of the young women / girls wearing some sort of stretchy, shin-length pants under skirts.

As for hating dresses / skirts: My one and only memory of pre-school is the first day.  My mom made me wear a dress.  I remember very clearly clinging to the inside door handle of the car for dear life, refusing to go (because I had to wear a dress).  Mom literally had to pry my fingers from around the handle and drag me kicking and screaming into the pre-school.  I have no similar memories of going to church (though I have never liked wearing skirts and likely never will).  I tell people that I only wear a skirt for God (in church and in the temple) - and it doesn't bother me doing it for Him (I could not care less what other people think of my attire, but I do wish to show love, respect, and submission to God by dressing in my "Sunday best").

FWIW

Guest MormonGator
49 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Is there a LD policy that all females need to wear dresses or skirts?

Well Jackie, I'm not a girl so I can't totally relate. However, I'm going to give it to you straight. 

I absolutely despise wearing a suit and tie. After going to catholic school from 8th grade-12th grade, I swore to myself I'd only wear one at gunpoint/funerals. I usually wear khakis and a blue plaid button down/or polo shirt to church. The bishop asked me to wear white in order to do the sacrament thing, but I shot him down immediately.

You'll get some weird looks but in the end, who cares? Wear what you want. Be comfortable, be yourself.

Edited by MormonGator

Where I live, small town Canada, some women always wear pants and some people always wear jeans. There is no policy. Where I live some people have very small incomes. I did take a friend of mine shopping when she confessed that she had three outfits: pjs, jeans, and a work uniform. She bought a demin skirt to wear to church.

I don't really own any sort of Sunday's Best type of clothing. I have a small, plain, and non-showy wardrobe, which consists of as you guessed it: Jeans and plain T-shirts.

I hope God won't look down on me and think I'm not trying hard enough with my simple attire. I am a simple type of person.

Edited by Jackie

5 minutes ago, Jackie said:

I don't really own any sort of Sunday's Best type of clothing. I have a small, plain, and non-showy wardrobe, which consists of as you guessed it: Jeans and plain T-shirts.

I hope God won't look down on me and think I'm not trying hard enough with my simple attire. I am a simple type of person.

God will be pleased to see you! 

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I confess I have one Sunday outfit. Long black skirt and t-shirt!

She's kidding Jackie. Miss Sunday wears a formal evening gown that would make the Queen say "Hey, aren't you a bit overdressed?!" 

Guest MormonGator

I think it needs to be said that no matter what you wear or what you think, you will find someone who will complain. Sometimes it's just them having a bad day, sometimes it's just them trying to be self-righteous, and bluntly speaking,  sometimes it's just them being a a flat out jerk or a bully. You have to learn to ignore those people and gel with the people in the church who are more laid back. 

27 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

What's the proper etiquette for taking the sacrament with long white gloves? Do you take them off, or unbutton and fold back the hands, or just leave them be? Is it the same for both the bread and water?

The proper etiquette is to have your maid put the bread in your mouth and hold the cup to your lips (then pat them dry with a white silk napkin).  (Sheesh, do they not teach anything to young people these days? You'd think some people were raised in a barn...)

56 minutes ago, Jackie said:

That's my wardrobe exactly, except for Sunday clothes.  (It's getting harder and harder to find good denim, though. :( )

I think you should prayerfully do what feels right to you.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, zil said:

The proper etiquette is to have your maid put the bread in your mouth and hold the cup to your lips (then pat them dry with a white silk napkin).  (Sheesh, do they not teach anything to young people these days? You'd think some people were raised in a barn...)

Living in the compound with my maids, cooks, butlers and chauffeurs has really spoiled you young lady!  

1 hour ago, Jackie said:

there's probably a modesty guide somewhere but i'm pretty sure it only explains what needs to be covered, not how it needs to be covered other than that it be reverent and respectful. other than that i can't recall anything.

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, Blackmarch said:

there's probably a modesty guide somewhere but i'm pretty sure it only explains what needs to be covered, not how it needs to be covered other than that it be reverent and respectful. other than that i can't recall anything.

What do you know about reverence? This is what you wear to church every week! 

Unknown.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jackie said:

It's not a policy or a need or anything like that.  We're simply asked to wear the best we have for the Lord.  If that's all you can afford, that's certainly fine.  If it's a personal preference, I'd ask you to look at a balance on this issue.

Here's a true-to-life analogy:

I take a martial arts class where the schoolmaster informs us that this particular style (Kuk Sool Won) places an emphasis on etiquette.  We always bow to the mat, the national flag, the grandmaster, and the association flag.  We then honor the schoolmaster and various instructors in a set pattern.  We also call everyone "sir" or "ma'am" regardless of age.

It was very difficult for a doctor (who was used to being the boss all the time) to continue with such behavior.  He found it beneath him to call a teenager "sir".  He eventually quit.  It was difficult for me (I am a boss at my job and am used to everyone doing what I say) to call a 10 year old boy "sir" or a 15 year old girl "ma'am".  But that is what we do.

The schoolmaster explained that it isn't about him boosting himself up so that everyone bows to him.  It is about have set rituals and patterns of behavior that are different than our everyday lives.  By forcing us into this (at first) uncomfortable behavior, it sends a signal to our minds and bodies that "things are different here".  We are more disciplined.  We have to think about what we're doing and how we're behaving and focus on learning.

The reason why physical things are even mentioned is that we are human beings.  In fact, we are mortal human beings who are tied to the physical world.  As such we also react to physical stimuli, including the way we dress.  

When we do something -- anything -- out of the ordinary "for us" it sends a signal to both body and soul to behave differently.  Dressing in a manner that is unusual for us, but is a set pattern for a given group, tells us that we need to behave differently.  In this case, we behave more reverently.

That is the idea.  If you have good enough reasons to dress the way you dress, then do so.  In the end, it is between you and the Lord.  What Gator said earlier is true.  And I tend to respect him quite a bit.  But I'd ask you to ponder this tendency among us humans to behave differently when we dress differently.