Anybody married to a foreign guy? Asian, Latino, etc?

I always see caucasian couples. and asian and hispanic and black couples. but I never really see inter-racial couples. As a matter of fact, diversity beats racism. Is there such thing as racism in the LDS church? Because I rarely ever see inter-racial couples in the LDS church. 

Is it against the caucasian culture to date an Asian, latino, and black guys? 

1 hour ago, curious_mormon said:

I always see caucasian couples. and asian and hispanic and black couples. but I never really see inter-racial couples. As a matter of fact, diversity beats racism. Is there such thing as racism in the LDS church? Because I rarely ever see inter-racial couples in the LDS church. 

I'm part of an interracial couple.  And there are two other couples in our ward that are also interracial.  And so far, I've never seen anyone treated any differently.

Racial coupling is largely because that which we consider "physically attractive" is largely a matter of averaging.  Our brains take in the facial features of all the people we come in contact with.  We then take an "average" of all these features and form a composite in our brains.  This composite is really what we consider "beautiful".

When we see anything outside this norm, we consider it less attractive.  Someone has a larger/smaller nose.  A jaw is too square/pointed.  Eyes are too whatever.  All these traits tell us that somethng is "wrong" with that face.  This will include skin color to a degree.

One other point about beauty is the "Persian Flaw".  Not literally per that definition, but when we see one significant feature that is outside the "norm" in our brains, if it perfectly accents some other feature that is exactly the norm in our brains, then that "flaw" tends to look more beautiful.  For instance, I see my wife's eyes and think they are a perfect shape.  But the color pattern is certainly outside the norm.  And that accents the shape and positioning of her perfect eyes.

When we grow up, our first exposure is mainly to people of our own race. It's then difficult to get our bodies excited over that which is considered less attractive.  And romantic love is largely influenced by physical attraction.

There are, of course, exceptions.  But that generally explains racial coupling.  It also explains why many couples tend to look like each other.  That's what they're used to.

Edited by Guest

Let's see... in my ward, we have (or have had... people have moved a lot in the last year) 2 caucasian/Filipino couples, 1 caucasian/Venezuelan couple, 1 caucasian/Peruvian couple, 1 caucasian/Korean couple, 1 caucasian/Tahitian couple, 1 caucasian/Samoan couple, 1 Polynesian/Micronesian couple. In our stake we have many caucasian/hispanic couples and at least 1 caucasian/black couple that I know of. There aren't a lot of black people in this area. 

10 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

There aren't a lot of black people in this area. 

While at BYU, Mrs Carb and I visited Johnny B's Comedy Club.  A visiting comedian (a black guy) said:

This morning I took some time to get to know the local black community... Nice guy...

I am not white - i am Irish!

Seriously, interracial marriage is fine and happens all the time.  My white brother in law married a Mexican Jew who was Mormon.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Mark me down as being in an interracial marriage too. No one has ever said a peep to my knowledge.  It just depends where you live.  Lived in Alabama and southern California, highly diverse interracial mormon couples.  Being around military families most of my life diverse couples are all over. 

2 hours ago, Eowyn said:

My husband just reminded me of 3 caucasian/black couples in our ward, one of whom still lives here and comes every week. Oops.

No oops.  That just means you're color blind.  That's great.

One thing I loved about the movie Hitch was that it was a mega-popular movie that featured two non-white leads and no one made any kind of a big deal about it.  That's the way it should be.

5 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

Several decades ago it was discouraged on the basis that such marriages frequently ended in divorce due to outside pressures of society (now pretty much non-existant) and cultural differences creating friction.  Also, back when blacks were banned from the priesthood that was a discouraging factor for getting into an inter-racial marriage, but neither the priesthood ban or discouraging inter-racial marriages were based on the idea of one race being superior to another.  Even outside the church it is more common to see marriage of couples of the same race than mixed race, it's just easier to relate to somebody with a similar background.

These days it is no big deal.  We have a couple interracial marriages in my ward, My niece is married to a Mexican, my sister in law (less active) married an Arab (and that one did at least partly end due to cultural differences).

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Latter-Day Marriage said:

These days it is no big deal.  

Thank God for this. So often we hear people complain about the times we live in and how bad things are, but some things (like more racial/gender equality) really are much better than they were 50 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

No oops.  That just means you're color blind.  That's great.

One thing I loved about the movie Hitch was that it was a mega-popular movie that featured two non-white leads and no one made any kind of a big deal about it.  That's the way it should be.

My wife loves that movie.

8 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

My foster brother is African American and he is married to a caucasian. They have been in the church for 20 years at least, and I know of other bi-racial couples as well, I do not feel it is all that rare here, can't speak for all areas but there is nothing against dating outside your race I am aware of, its a matter of who you meet and are exposed to. I suppose in large cities it would be more common than rural areas but I really don't know. 

I'm married to a Guatemalan. I'm white. 

One of my sons married a Mexican. 

My daughter married a Vietnamese. 

I was in the ice cream parlor with my daughter, her husband and my Asian looking granddaughter.  I was treating them to ice creams.  While paying, the girl behind the counter asked "Do you know those people?".  True story  

Were mongrels.:cool:

My ex-wife was Thai-Vietnamese and so my children are half asian. My daughter said she's the hit of BYU-H library where she works as she keeps having Thai students approach her and ask her about her ethnicity. Evidently asians find mixed asians fascinating. 

My youngest son has the darkest skin of my kids and my half-mexican nephew and his little half-hatian (black) brother live with me. So even in Florida we generate some odd looks when out in public. 

Florida has allot of mixed couples. The Bishop of the ward just south of us is black and married to a white women and they are in their early 30's. 

Edited by Windseeker

In my ward that I can remember off the top of my head:

1.) I'm Filipino married to a blue-eyed blonde white guy.  He is descended from Scotland on his mom's side and Wales on his dad's side.  His mom has brown hair, his dad has red hair.  How it threw out a blonde is the stuff of interesting genetic study.  Both our kids can't get picked out of a line-up of Filipinos... until they stand up... they're both tall for a Filipino their age.

2.) Another Filipino is married to a South Korean guy.

3.)  Another Filipino is married to a dark haired - dark eyed white guy.  Interestingly, their 2 year old daughter is a dark-haired, dark-eyed white girl.  Doesn't look Filipino at all!

4.)  Another Filipino is married to a brown-haired - hazel eyed white guy.  Their 1 year old daughter is brown haired, brown eyed white girl .  Doesn't look Filipino either!

5.)  Two other Filipinos are married to Filipinos - their married children also married Filipinos.

6.)  A South Korean fresh from SK married a guy who is half white half South Korean who grew up in New York.

7.)  A Peruvian is married to another Peruvian.

8.)  An African-American is married to another African-American.

9.)  A white woman from Maryland married a white Welshman who grew up in London.

10.)  Everyone else is white with white spouses of varying heritages that are all descended from a line of people growing up in America.

We do have many other hispanics in our ward boundaries but they attend the Spanish Branch instead of our ward.  I don't know them very well.

Edited by anatess2

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, curious_mormon said:

My wife is an Australian aboriginal from the Tasmanian Palawa tribe.