Mormon Missions: It’s not Where, It’s How

Third Hour

My eyes scanned the page at a rate that was probably fast enough to rival the speed of light before I finally found it: I would be serving in Denver, Colorado. I received my mission call on March 28th of 2013. I had several friends over at my BYU –Idaho apartment, all of whom insisted that the postage stamp’s price indicated that, hallelujah! I was going to be called out of the States, and I was Skyping my family. When I read the words out loud — that I would be serving in the Colorado Denver North Mission, English speaking — time stood still. I didn’t know how to feel. I knew it was right, but I instantly felt like everyone was disappointed for me. It seemed to me as though all of my friends were thinking, Stateside? English Speaking?! I went into my bedroom and cried. Flash forward to a couple of days later and all kinds of people were offering a mixed variety of congratulations and condolences. I...

View the full article

Yup.  I served in Arizona and had the same reaction (not to the point of tears, but still disappointed).  After three older brothers all served in foreign countries with foreign languages, I got a mission call to the state next door.  The MTC was farther from my house than my mission home was.

But I prayed about it.  I asked for some peace and acceptance.  The response I got from the Lord was more harsh than this author's advice from her father.  But in the end, the message was still the same.  

Your mission call isn't to serve your desires.  It is to fulfill My work.

Oh, the shame I felt for ever questioning it.  I'm not sure if I heard a "You idiot!" before these words.  But it sure felt like it.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not sure if I heard a "You idiot!" before these words.  But it sure felt like it.

D&C 1:24 Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding.

:P